1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What should I eat?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by walkjj, Nov 16, 2010.

1. walkjj

walkjj Active Member

I was wondering if people could give me some advice. Having read lots of things on the net I have just ended up massively confused.
    So I am a 20yr old student, 6"1.5 and 165 pounds. I have access to a pretty good gym this year so want to bulk up. Also doing ski training so a lot of legs.

I know diet is important but have no idea what I should actually be eating?

So should I be eating about 2800 cals or something per day?

So far roughly eat:

Breakfast: bowl of oats, with choc chips.

Lunch: Ham/turkey bagel.

Maybe a snack like a protein bar.

Gym
    few glasses of milk/choc milk/milk banana honey blended
    some nuts.

supper
    whatever has been cooked, often vegan/vegetarian food (bleugh)

I realise that this isn't enough so have been trying to eat more eggs when I can.

Any help people can give me would massively be appreciated.

Also should I use protein shake?
    Or any other supplements?

Thanks!
    Walkjj:bb:

2. jsalazar

jsalazar Active Member

proteins are the building blocks of muscle mass.
    you should start with that when coming up with a diet.
    :gl:

3. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

check out the bulking section.. they'll have alot of info over there for you.

agree w/the post above.. protein is a must for building muscle. i just recently started taking fast absorbing wheybolic protein a few minutes after getting out of the gym and it has made the difference.

aside from obtaining definition by cutting, i have seem noticeable mass on my arms doing a high intensity full body workout MWF.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Start with this thread here, which should help sort out your confusion and at least put you in a position to ask more specific questions.

But you can think of the beginning of a plan like this:

1. Estimate how many calories you need each day to maintain your current weight.

2. Create a nutrition plan where you take in more calories than that each day, maybe 500 more or so as a starting point. Be especially sure to take in more calories than you burn on days you lift.

3. Start your nutrition plan by making sure it has lots of protein. People commonly advise 1g protein/lb of bodyweight per day. Fill in the rest of your nutrition plan after you've accounted for where your protein is going to come from and keeping in mind that you'll likely want complex carbs to go along with your lifting days (I mean, you'll want these anyway, but prioritize getting them on days you lift for sure).

4. Design your workouts around the big compound lifts like dead lifts, squats, bench press, shoulder press, and rows. Make these your priority. These lifts generally involve your biggest muscle groups and frequently engage many of your muscle groups.

5. Make sure you're resting in between workouts, so get lots of sleep and don't lift every day.

6. Post more questions after you've read through the beginner's forum and especially the thread linked above.

5. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

^^great info right there^^

i use fitday.com to track my cals/macros. all of my foods are 'custom foods' meaning i actually looked at the package and added it into my fitday custom foods lists.

another great tip you'll see around the forum is.. JUST START AND FIGURE IT OUT FROM THERE. a lot of folks spend way too much time calculating "the perfect diet". read the beginners thread, lurk around to see what others are asking and the responses they're receiving, start your transformation and work from there.

#5 Deeman, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  6. jasarsenault

jasarsenault Active Member

While I don't want to reduce any progress I made to simply using fiday, because this isn't the case, I do think fitday was invaluable for me. I've used it everyday for about the last five months and I've seen my best progress of the last three years. It helps in making hitting your daily nutrition goals/targets more accurate, which over a few months can make all the difference - IMO.

So in addition to the great advice above - figure out what nutrition you need for your goals and a program like fitday helps ensure you actually know what your ingesting.

Jason

7. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

The amount of calories needed by anybody is determined by how many calories is required for a certain goal by that person.

Therefor you need to determine your requirements by "activity calculation"

Try the FITDAY site........:)

8. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

If you are trying to bulk, a large can of tuna has about 60 grams of protein. So make yourself some tuna salad with that.

9. HevyMetal

It is agreed pretty well unanimously that you need extra protein for building muscle.

However...the debate rages on by Gurus over how much protein a person should take per day.

Those that trash the argument " 20 grams per serving is not valid....nobody knows how much protein a person can digest at one sitting...therefor take 100 grams a sitting if you like" are victims of their own argument.

Since apparently "nobody" knows how much the human body can handle at one sitting...then there is no basis in the statement that 100 grams will work better than 20.

You want bulk and add muscle.....

IMO it is not the huge amounts of protein a person needs in grams but more to do with frequency of intake.

Some of the best strongmen and powerlifters when training for a competition eat "on the hour" for protein.

In one case it was nothing but fish.

But..it was every hour on the hour all day....and it wasn't 300 grams a sitting.

A continual source of amino's "non-stop" all day. Which IMO for a young lifter is better than having one shot of protein at dinner time of 300 grams.

"Bulking" though is simply adding weight. A caloric surplus which often results in extra muscle on a good program.

This could mean adding other foods to the protein requirement.

I wouldn't "bulk" on any old crap though. I'd just eat more portions of good healthy food to hit the surplus.

10. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

While the gurus can fight about protein intake until pigs learn to fly, the fact of the matter is each person is unique... just like everybody else.

Depsite the lack of unique-ness, the body does have ways of telling a person to knock it off with the mounds of protein they may be taking in. Sometimes people are stupid and ignore such warnings, but they do present themselves. Whether it be that nasty metallic taste in the mouth, feeling like a total sloth even though a person isn't sick, headaches, constipation, ect.

It's always being touted that a person should listen to their body while they are working out and such, but for some reason that I cannot wrap my brain around, this reasoning goes out the window goes out the window when it comes to food. :suspicious:

I don't really care what the reason for this is, but it is strange.

11. HevyMetal

He's 6ft 1" tall-165 lbs.

Which to me is thinish.

He likes to ski....so when he says"bulk" (which is basically just gaining weight while lifting)....I'm not sure how heavy in lbs. he wants to bulk up to.

I would think just putting on weight would throw ski-ability off somewhat.

I would calculate the protein requirement based on his LEAN body mass/activity calc. (Fitday has a calculator).

WalkJJ:- Yes, take a protein shake after your workout.

I would figure out your protein requirements on FitDay (or similar site),
    and then break this quota up so that you can take it over the day in equal gram portions (although it can be different sources of protein).

But you need macros of carbs and fats as well.

Different training/activity and ex regimens require different ratios of nutrients for fuel and growth.

If you are training heavy for endurance you might want to look into supplementing with L-Glutamine and get your carb intake spot-on.

Creatine is a good idea too. If you can't stomach plain Creatine they also make a version called "Purple K". This is "friendly" Creatine.
    There are other products the same as Purple K.

The only kind of Whey protein I personally like is "Isolate".
    Just the plain old plain old powder with nothing in it (I can add flavors later myself).

I do not like all these Whey powders with a list of chemicals that I never heard of. And I never eat anything that is sweetened with Aspartame (I believe it causes cell-damage).

Citrulline Malate can help you too.

Other than those, just about all other *cough* supplements *cough* are a waste of money for a guy your age.