1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What motivates you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Psydewayz, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Psydewayz

Psydewayz Active Member

So I was reading through the off-topic threads and I saw some favorite music threads, and favorite tv show type threads. I thought I would start one for whatever motivates you.
    It doesn't necessarily have to motivate you in the fitness department, but that was what I was thinking when I made this short list of things that motivate me in the gym (or to get in the gym)

1. The Ultimate Fighter (TV Show)
    2. Rob Zombie/White Zombie (Music)
    3. JSF (duh)
    4. The fact that I'm turning 30 this summer

Please feel free to add your own, we all could use a little extra motivation.

2. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

The million dollar question.

For me it's my internal drive. I can't explain why I have it, but it's the one thing that separates me from the average person. It's almost like a constant passion to succeed at everything and I seem more aware at all times. I tend to think a lot about every choice I make and how it will affect me.

Very Motivational Article
    Very Motivational Article 2
    Trait of a Champion
    Training Versus Talent

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rTaBjnRVxmM

3. Psydewayz

Psydewayz Active Member

Well Pete,

That post is going to be hard to follow. Kinda makes me feel lame when I am yelling things like "George Foreman Grilles!" and you're over there going "Here's a wonderfully written article on the spirit of a champion..."

Well, I'm off to the gym now to question the universe.

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

My overdeveloped sense of narcissistic hedonism...:o:eek:

seriously...

Love of things....there are some things I really love doing.

I like writing and creating lyrics/music, like drawing cartoons, like being in shape and working out. I also like doing anonymous charitable works.

All the other things in life just get in my way and impede my progress.

5. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Seeing what other guys my age are lifting here on JSF.

I don't obsess over it, or even think about it that often but it gives me the impetus to keep improving and bettering myself

Without see whats possible, my fitness journey would've more that likely run out of steam a long time ago

6. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Several things motivate me. Primarily, the enjoyment of lifting leaves me looking forward to every single lift. I look forward to a lift more than my birthday, or a major holiday. 3 days a week of that makes me a happy guy! I hate taking lift breaks :(

Another motivator is knowing that I can become big and strong and healthy and fit. I never knew the possibility was there, growing up. Once I learned what I need to do to get the body I've always wanted, I started lifting, and haven't stopped since!

I also derive a little motivation every time I do something difficult. I think, "if it was difficult for me to do this just now, I couldn't even have done it a year ago, and in another year or two, this will be so easy for me to do, I will laugh about it having been a challenge for me!" Sort of like each time I warm up with what used to be my max squat.

7. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

I just realized something that's been motivating me without me conciously realizing it's been motivating me. It hit me as I was standing in line at the Wienerschnitzel just now getting my mom something to eat. There was this guy standing in front of me who looked like some kind of skater or emo guy who was with this pretty cute little number. I noticed how thin he was. No arms, no triceps, no forearms, no meat at all basically. I started to feel huge. I realized that I really have been making some real progress, despite how small and weak I've been feeling lately.

So what I realized was motivating me was all the bigger guys on this forum. Which, compared to me, is 95% of the population. Seeing the numbers and pictures of the other guys here, making me feel so weak and pathetic, has been motivating me to keep going and keep making progress. I've been thinking to myself "I can be like that too. I'm going to be like that. I just have to keep working at it. It's going to take forever at this rate, but I will get there damnit."

So while I still feel small, weak and pathetic, I realize that there are now quite a few people out there who are skinnier and weaker than I am who didn't used to me and that my pursuit of the huge, strong guys on the forum is keeping me going.

8. OrangeTiger

OrangeTiger Active Member

Impressing ladies motivates me.

;)

That and dominating my competition. :evil:.

9. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

World Domination.. this time my masterplan cannot fail!

10. Azure

Azure Active Member

Results.

And at 19 years old, they're abundant.

11. jkugelman

jkugelman Active Member

I'm competitive as hell. When I'm in to something, I go 100%, no shit, gotta be the best.

I didn't ask to be this way, but I'm damned glad I am.

I like it when people say I must be on steroids, or they're jealous that it's so easy for me to lose weight and get muscular. I think, well, actually it hasn't been easy, it's been a lot of damn work. That's good though. It means anybody without a major medical condition could do what I've done, they'd just have to work hard, too.

To be fair though I do naturally enjoy weightlifting. Some guys want to be big and ripped but simply don't like lifting. They'll run marathons but dread the weight room. Dunno what to say to that... sorry, sucks to be you! :lol:

12. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I agree with this.
    A marathon is a damn lot harder than any weight training session ever will be and you can quote me on that. This shouldn't even be a part of the discussion.

13. jkugelman

jkugelman Active Member

Oh, I completely agree. I can't fathom running a marathon. It's crazy. It's not just the physical side, which maybe I could handle, it's also the mental part, slogging away for 4+ hours. I don't think I could do that. I want to run a marathon, but unfortunately I just don't enjoy running very much.

I meant no disrespect. I guess I was just trying to say, thank God the physical activity I enjoy most is weightlifting because it gets me exactly where I want to be physique-wise. I have a friend who wants a Bruce Lee-type physique but probably won't get there, not because he lacks the willpower or the dedication to get there, but simply because he does not enjoy lifting weights. He's just as active as I am but moving iron around does not interest him.

To bring it back to the original point of this thread, my motivation is a combination of (1) having a goal physique that I really, really, really want to attain and (2) enjoying the activity that best helps me attain it. You have to eat right and lift weights, right? Well, keeping my diet on track is hard enough that I'm glad I don't have to expend mental energy on forcing myself to work out.

14. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

When I see myself surpassing my old records and even other people around the gym. So Results motivate me. When I can see myself getting better and it keeps happening, it spurs me to continue doing what it is I'm doing.

Also seeing out of shape people, small weak people, or people who just make excuses for reasons why they cant get in shape. Like kugel said, anyone without a serious medical condition can do what we're doing. It just motivates me to know that I'm above that "make excuses" mentality.

#14 Bsheller, May 29, 2008
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
  15. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say this. Marathon difficulty is very subjective.

16. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Interestingly FOR ME fat loss (lowish BF) has been more of a challenge than marathon training, but running the marathon itself is in a league completely apart from anything else I have ever done in my life.

What motivates me? Feeling good about myself (how I look and my physical achievements) and taking care now that I will hopefully have a very strong and healthy old age.

17. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Seriously...and I'm not BS* JSF motivates me and keeps me sane and realistic. Reading other peoples journals and realizing their struggles and accomplishments makes me realize I too can do it. Although my friends are "healthy" nobody wants to accomplish that "body builder/figure body look that I want...coming to JSF lets me hang with the people that want the same goals as I do and that helps!

My family motivates me as well.

Knowing where I have been and where I plan to be health wise motivates me too!

18. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Thanks for clarifying. Not everybody likes to run, I'm sure my family could easily say the same for me.:o I just wasn't sure whether you were downplaying how hard it is in comparison to just lifting.
    True, but in terms of my own personal experience, it was much harder. When I lift, I don't exactly work-out either.
    I agree.

19. matt of kent

matt of kent Active Member

What motivates me mostly is.... people.

- Strolling on the beach with my top off looking ripped, people thinking wow he has a nice body! (hopefully next sumer! :p)

- Family, i recently went to Poland and saw my whole family who haven't seen me in a year.... i got comments from 3 relatives, i felt great that day :D

-Friends, alot of my friends go to the gym or have weights at home, and whenever i worked out with mates i would generally be the weakest.... i want to in the future be the strongest out of them all, that would be awesome!

So yea generally people is what motivates me.