1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What is your job?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by HardTrainer, Jan 19, 2009.

1. HardTrainer

HardTrainer Active Member

Just wondering what people do for a job as im a student at the moment and im finding time to workout and just wondering how some people can work out so much yet they have work aswell.:bb:

So what is your job?

2. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

I wish I had a job. Every one of the two dozen or so jobs I've applied to since November, it's the same story "we've gotten over three hundred applications, blah blah blah" even for a menial hourly job somewhere. Those of you that have jobs need to be thankful you have one and not complain about how crappy it is.

At any rate, when I did work, I found it wasn't all that hard to tailor the workouts and diet around the job schedule. It wasn't ideal, of course, but it was good enough. In my faster paced jobs, I'd just have a protein shake of 16oz milk and 1 scoop protein powder along with ½ oz. of almonds 2 hours after getting to work. Then at lunch three hours later, I'd have a normal meal like I'd eat at home. I would have another meal immediately after getting home, then things were normal for the rest of the day. For working out, I'd workout on my two off days, then one day in the middle of the work week. Neither the diet nor the workout schedule were ideal setups for me, but I did lose 7 lbs of fat over a three month period while retaining all my lean.

In slower paced jobs, I was able to have two or three actual meals during the day. It was a sit-down job and it was busy, but, not to the point where I couldn't set 10 minutes aside for a quick meal two or three times. I kept to my normal workout schedule, since the gym was right on the way home from the job, so it was easy.

All of this presupposes either no social life, or the will power and self discipline to put your diet and exercise before all that (oh, but I can't eat right and exercise today, if I don't go out and get drunk with my buddies and not eat anything for the next 6 hours, I'll be beaten, ostracized and executed).

3. jsalazar

jsalazar Active Member

Well, i graduated from Industrial Engineering with minor in systems... but i realized in a short period that TI related activities were the real deal for me.

now, 3 years from beginning on my SAP programming JOB i really have much free time, i work ( when i have a project) from 9 to 6..
    and there is not a lot of pressure, i also work from home three times a week programming for a small company half/price for the extra bucks.

Althoug it may seem otherwise, i dont see my job as too demanding, or stressful..i sleep well at night :tucool:

im starting this JSF program and i get up at 6:30 to workout and i have time to prepare my meals for the rest of the day..

im planning to lift weight in the afternoon also, just a little, im really liking this weight loss results :D

4. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

Im a Sports Science Student, Hoping to venture into being a Sports Nutritionist or physiotherapist

5. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

I'm a full time graphic design and layout artist, and I do some personal training on the side. Flexible hours help, but most of the free time I have comes from not having a TV. When I work particularly long days for weeks at a time, I'll lift in the morning before work.

6. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

I'm a nail tech and massage therapist. I don't start work at the salon till 10 on some days and 11 on others so that makes it perfect for me to get in to the gym first thing and get it over with.

7. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Post-Doctoral researcher. Currently applying for jobs as an assistant professor.

8. Avy

Avy Active Member

I'm the National Systems Administrator for a company contracted by Defence to maintain all their equipment. I've worked my way up over almost 4 years from a data entry clerk, to production officer, to supply chain officer, to systems administrator.
    I have really just fallen into IT with no real experience, but it pays well so I'm not complaining :D

9. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

I'm a journalist. I fit my workouts in after work and it's just fine. I've yet to have an issue, but sometimes I cover night meetings. If I do this, I just switch my workout time to the day time, like during lunch. I can always eat at my desk later anyway.

*UPDATED* - P.S. ~ I used to wake up at 5:30 a.m. to work out at the beginning of 2007 (before I slipped off the wagon) because it was one of the easier times for me to go. But my lifting sucked so early with basically no food in me. Switching to the afternoon is something I don't regret one bit.

10. HardTrainer

I may struggle when I go to work or hopefully get an aprenticshiop next year. 8:30-5:30 5 days a week.

11. HardTrainer

Pays well :D I wanted to webdesign but I dont like hard coding ide prefer to do repairs etc at my younger age. lol :claphigh:

12. dkmahkee

dkmahkee Well-Known Member

I work as a molecular biologist with the NIDDK in Phoenix, studying the genetics of Type II Diabetes and Obesity.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm retired.

14. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

@ 50? Lucky!

15. HardTrainer

Cool. :) Im a type 1 diabetic. Amazes me how much my insulin dosage has come down due to a healthy diet :)

16. Specialbear

Specialbear Well-Known Member

My job is med school:(

17. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

I work in real estate. Title Examinations, to be specific.

18. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

Add one more to the Graphic Designer catagory. :D

19. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

I'm a third year Real Estate student.

Cool, is that like searching for easements and stuff like that during conveyancing? Do you work in the public or private sector?

20. Ayanik7

Ayanik7 Well-Known Member

I'm a tax auditor for the state of Texas.