1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What is up with all of you and 500cal deficit?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by xlr8ed, Apr 30, 2004.

1. xlr8ed

xlr8ed Well-Known Member

Everyone i have seen on this forum that has made incredible transformation, including John, did it by pretty much starving themselves. It seems to work fine if you eat 1400cals instead of lets say 2300 that everyone else suggests. However, most of these great transformations seem to suggests to eat more despite their own results.
    I myself have been doing a starvation for 3-4 days (lots of water and a wheat bread and PB sandwitch, and 3 shakes a day) and then a day with higher cals (still less than maintenance). It has worked fine for me for the past 3 weeks, and I have lost about 9 lbs and definetly actually gained muscle. I feel aslong as you do cardio and weight training you can easily get away with starving for a few days and then eating more for one day, etc.
    What r your ideas around this?

2. Glamdring

Glamdring Well-Known Member

Uhh, I seriously doubt that you have gained muscle with a prison diet.

Maybe you've lost some fat and see a few more fibers or something but that certainly doesn't mean you've gained 'new' muscle.

3. Filthysock

Filthysock Well-Known Member

well, i have been undereating for almost 4 weeks ( i haven't meant to, just haven't planned properly). And it was fine for 3 weeks, but this week my energy levels are plummeting.

4. J2kDarkSkies

J2kDarkSkies Well-Known Member

of course you're going to gain muscle when you start working out. Common sense. However you're doing a crash diet and that will end up in a burn out and binge in a few weeks. We're trying to get healthy, not just lose weight.

5. taffer

taffer Well-Known Member

"weight" is such a broad term

and yeah what your doing is unhealthy, you cant sustain it and if you did you would either pass out, or just look like a blob of jelly at the end, due to no muscle tone

6. xlr8ed

xlr8ed Well-Known Member

Actually i am trying to loose weight, not necessarily all fat, cause of a slipped disc in my back. I have definetly gained muscle since I have gone up over 40% on every routine i do. I said I eat very little, however i dont feel i am starving too much since i dont feel all that hungry. Now what you are saying about binging at the end, i can assure you it wont happen. I said i starve for 3-4 days and then eat a bit more for a day or two. Apart from that, i fasted last year for 40 days (no meat, no dairy, no eggs) and ate very little, but still made it fine, and the important thing was I eased back on the meat and stuff and did not just stuff myself once the 40 days were over. I can do that now too. I also know that I will not be a blob of jelly. You will loose more fat than muscle if you are weight training and doing cardio. Look at all the transformations that were starving but eating clean...they all lost alot of fat, and some muscle. All they did is bulk for a while and its all ok again. Eating 1400 cals when maintenance is 3200 is not starvation. What could happen is you could look too skinny cause of loosing lots of fat and muscle, and you could look like the wind can blow you away. I know it is unhealthy, but i know it works. I had lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks when i was a cadet on a ship by eating too little but it was healthy food. It was definetly lots of fat with maybe 3lbs of it being muscle.

7. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Needless to say, this approach is FAR from ideal. If it works for you, wonderful, but you'd be hard-pressed to see these practices make it into any kind of mainstream form of fitness.

~SC~

8. xlr8ed

xlr8ed Well-Known Member

That is because most people would binge eat after a while, and/or after they were done with the cutting they would start eating like they used to right away.
    If a mainstream program made you eat little and then a bit more in cycles like I do, but more importantly slowly eased people into eating more, and not right away, it could work. Especially if in the days where they eat more they get to cheat once in a while to keep them motivated. Your program swolecat is obviouslt the better choice as it is healthier, it teaches people how to eat clean, and it is easier to stick to as it is not as harsh. However, I feel what I am doing could work for people like me who want to get in the shape they were a few years ago before an injury or something, and are determined to stay focused and do anything.