1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

what is the importance of protien in the morning?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by aznsocal, May 12, 2011.

1. aznsocal

aznsocal Member

what is so important to eat protein after you wake up, thanks:bb:

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

It's very important. Basically, you are rebounding from a 8-10 overnight fast (sleep) and upon wakeup your body is in a catabolic environment. A fast acting protein would be ideal here to get into your system very quickly, blunting the cataboilsm. Further, it's been seen that eating sufficient protein in the morning helps with appetite control and fat loss for the remainder of the day. The other critical time for proper protein intake would be around the training bout.

3. aznsocal

aznsocal Member

thanks , but how many grams would suffice?

4. mastover

It depends upon your current nutrition. Anywhere from 25-30% of your daily protein intake would be a good general baseline number. So, as an example, if you're taking in 200 grams of protein per day, 50 grams at breakfast would be ideal. If you train first thing in the morning, you can divide this dose into pre, intra, and post workout.

5. Eye-Licker

Eye-Licker Member

not to hijack the thread, but i do my cardio before breakfast, would you recommend protein before or after i do my mountain run?

i don't like the thought of supplying carb before the morning session (would defeat the purpose), so how much more risk am i at atrophy wise if i wait with the protein until after the run?

thanks. :)

6. mastover

Fasted cardio is something I would never recommend. If this is what you're asking. This myth has been debunked now for quite some time.

Cardio in a fasted state might increase the amount of calories that are burned from fat stores,BUT it will also increase amino acid oxidation. Fasted state cardio is a great way to increase cortisol release. Cortisol will liberate amino acids to produce glucose (glucose cannot be synthesized from fats) and this can lead to muscle loss.

Whether you have protein before or after makes no difference. I see no urgency whether you have amino acids around a bout of cardio. Lifting, different story. However, I'd make sure you had a meal sometime prior before cardio. JMO.

7. Eye-Licker

Eye-Licker Member

thank you for your reply.

while i am aware of the risk of increased atrophy with fasted cardio, i have heard very good and reasonable arguments from both camps. there are clearly knowledgeable guys who discourage fasted cardio (like Alan Aragon), and then there are other, equally knowledgeable people who have had great succes in their training who advocate it (Dante Trudell). i have only been doing fasted cardio for 5 days now, and i will keep doing it for at least 9 more. simply choosing which side i will lean towards, whose scientific studies to believe without actually trying both myself, simply doesn't cut it. when i am done with a minimum of 2 weeks of fasted, medium intensity steady state cardio i will go into fueled HIIT and see which yields the best results for me, which fits in better with my lifestyle etc.

just as i don't buy clothes without first trying them on, i won't religiously adopt one method without giving the others' a go.

8. mastover

Eye, if you are 5'8" and 143 pounds, fasted cardio is the last thing I would recommend.

Lifting alone, (getting stronger with poundages used on compound movements) along with optimal nutrition, should be more than enough to help you reach your goals. Unless, of course, if CV fitness is the main priority.

9. aznsocal

aznsocal Member

try doing some burpees, theyre pretty tough, thanks for hijacking my thread dude, haha, just kidding its all good!:jumping: ,yeah, workout with weights so you can put on some muscle, that alone will burn calories by just having them.

10. Eye-Licker

Eye-Licker Member

thanks again.

you make a good point that i didn't give too much consideration; my size. while i'm not concerned with bulking or gaining any muscle right now i sure don't want to lose too much. fasted cardio may work great for big guys like trudell, especially when on low-carb cycles, but i am neither. so i'm rounding up my fasted cardio based on your advice and going into fed HIIT. :tu:

my primary goal is applicable fitness, so cardiovascular strength is a big priority. after all; there is only so much muscle that is practical in day to day life, and there is only so much strength you will ever need, but there is no such thing as too much endurance.

@Socal: cheers, never done those before, will try them as a way to reboost the metabolism around dinner. :tu: sorry about the hijack, but my query was initially relevant to the topic. :P