1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What is more beneficial?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Balla_Baby, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Balla_Baby

Balla_Baby Well-Known Member

Training 5 times a week doing weights + cardio (as prescribed by my gym instructor btw) in one AM session, or training 6 times a week alternating weights then cardio (so 3x cardio 3x weights)?

My gym instructor's program was to do both in one session 5 times a week but I've been reading a lot of people saying that they alternate. Will I get the same benefits? It's also more convenient for me to do both in one session because my gym is a bit of distance away and going twice would be a pain! Thanks!

2. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

What are your goals?

3. Balla_Baby

Fat loss so I'm on a calorie deficit.

4. Stacemranger

Stacemranger Well-Known Member

If you're on fat loss goal, I would probably do 3x3. What I would do anyway. Lifting every day would be more of a bulking program.

5. Balla_Baby

So you don't actually get better results from doing both in one session?

6. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the weight training + cardio in same session. However, I personally lift 4x's per week, not 5.

If you have a hard time putting on muscle, then maybe I'd say not to do that. However, if you are like me and retain/build muscle pretty easily, I find it to produce great results.

7. Balla_Baby

Hey, same here, I like the results I've gotten so far from doing both I'm just wondering if I could achieve better results by splitting it up. Nice to see somebody who does the same :D

What's your post/pre workout nutrition like? Personally, I eat an apple and drink half a shake after weights before cardio. What about you?

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Three and three for me. I am one of those that says put your efforts into diet and weights and use cardio as a calorie burner or a feel good activity.

9. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

im with karatetricker. i had always done cardio right after weight lifting in the past with good results. only after finding this site did i start to think it was a bad idea. however i have trouble dragging my butt to the gym that many times a week. right now i go 3x a week. im back to cardio after weights. it works for me and my purposes.

10. karatetricker

Nah, don't eat before the cardio. A "bonus" of cardio post-lifting is the low glycogen levels. If you eat, you replenish those and don't benefit the same way. I lift usually for 45-60 mins and then I go right onto the cardio equipemnt (treadmill or elliptical usually) and go for anywhere from 15-20 mins at almost full intensity. Then as soon as I get home (10 mins later) I have my dextrose/glutamine mix and then I try to add some protein in the form of egg beaters since I can't use Whey powder at the moment.

If I were you, and of course I'm not so you're free to do as you wish, I would do 4 days of lifting followed by cardio on all of them except leg day. Then on that 5th day I'd still go to the gym, but do either fasted low-med intensity cardio or non-fasted intense cardio for 45 mins or so. And if you want to go a 6th day as well, do the longer cardio another time that week.

IMO, that would be your ideal. You'll be lifting enough to maintain your muscle and increase your strength all while putting your cardiovascular endurance through the roof and shredding fat. You may not benefit from the AM fasted cardio "fat burn", but your metabolism will be on fire 24 hrs. a day.

11. karatetricker

Not looking to argue here, but honestly, from what you just said, the "three and three" has no advantages.

I agree with you 100%. Diet + weight training should be the main focus with cardio as exactly what you said, a calorie burner or feel good activity.

1) Lifting 4x's per week instead of just 3 allows you to split up the muscle groups more, therefore allowing a more intense workout for every muscle group that would have been #3 on a certain day. I know I personally could NEVER lift anything after legs and HATE lifting 3 muscle groups in one day (i.e. chest/delts/tris). By the time I get to tris I'd be ready to pass out. Of course some people have no problem with this, but in general, if you can afford the extra day time-wise, I can't see passing it up.

2) The cardio after lifting will be the "calorie burner". You can easily get in a nice intense workout and burn an extra 200-300 calories all while speeding up the metabolism. Do that 3 times a week and you burn an extra 600-900 calories/week. Then you still have 2 more days of the 6 you planned to do cardio only and burn another 1500 cals/week in those 2 longer sessions. I'd consider burning 2000-2500 calories/week through cardio quite good.

Anyway, just wanted to post my thoughts. Some people hate cardio after lifting. I used to... but then I got back into it and it's really the only time I enjoy it since I'm already all pumped and motivated from having just lifted.

12. JMR

JMR Well-Known Member

Cardio shouldn't be a calorie burner or "feel good" activity. Your heart is the most important muscle that you've got and it needs the work just like every other muscle in your body.

13. karatetricker

Agreed 100%. That is exactly why you see me "preaching" intense cardio around here. People often lose sight of its benefits aside from burning fat. :tucool:

14. Balla_Baby

Thanks for the input karatetricker. I use to do weights + high intensity cardio for 15 minutes before I saw this site, but lately I've been doing weights + low intensity for 40 mins straight afterwards, after reading more about it.

But now, I'm thinking of going back to high intensity for shorter time. What is more beneficial straight after lifting?

15. karatetricker

The ONLY time low intensity, long duration is useful is fasted, AM cardio if you ask me. (Well, unless physical limitations don't allow you to perform high intensity cardio.)

I would do high-intensity cardio for 15-25 minutes after lifting.

16. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I love the avatar!

Anyway, for most people doing weights 5 times week is not necessary, and can be overtraining. If you're not wrecking yourself each time, then you could do 5 times. Doing cardio and weights in the same session is not a big deal. A lot of people hate it, but who the heck has the interest in working out twice/day!?

If you're hardcore I'd do 3-4 weights/week, and 5 cardio/week. This would give you 1-2 days/week where you have only the cardio. I will say that going balls-out 5 days/week with weights is hard, and probably counter productive.

17. Yips

Yips Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info karatetricker... Im currently struggling for motivation with my cardio due to it being on entirely different days to my weights. It appeared on this site that post workout cardio was a sin. Going on your advice I think I'll give cardio after weights a go... Just a query. Ive been reading lately that the post-workout meal is the most important. How long after the workout should you consume this meal (For me protein shake)? Is it okay to have this after cardio? Any help would be appreciated.

18. jRS

jRS Well-Known Member

I think you should get some protein before your cardio - to reduce the risk of burning muscle, the same + carbs right after you are done training. BTW, full intensity cardio after lifting has been highly dissuaded (and it should not be longer than 30mins). You will get great benefit from doing light cardio after lifting, as lifting is a sort of interval training. I'd recommend you to get some protein in between lifting and cardio too. Just some advise on how to minimize musle burn.

I vote for: Lifting + light cardio 3x, and moderate cardio & longer sessions 2x. Have you been lifting for a long time? 5x /week as a starting point sounds like 2 months off due to inflammation - especially your shoulders and forearms.

19. karatetricker

As soon as possible. If you do cardio, then yes, have your pwo shake right after it. However, make sure you also have carbs along side the protein. Carbs are MORE important after lifting than protein.

20. karatetricker

Ehh, it's really unnecessary. I've done cardio after lifting, high intensity on and off for almost a year and have NEVER had issues with muscle loss because of it. Hell, the past 3 months, I've only added both muscle and strength. Granted I was eating a lot, it still goes to show you that high intensity cardio after lifting is not a guaranteed muscle waster like so many believe. If you keep it short like I do (15-20 mins) and make sure to follow up with proper nutrition, anyone who doesn't already have trouble adding muscle will be just fine.