1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT!? how did I gain a pound on INSANITY!?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by steven-c, Aug 8, 2010.

1. steven-c

steven-c Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Before my wife and I took off for vacation I did a fat flush with cardio/lifting/dieting and looked ok...

To my surprise after 2 weeks of the best food ever in the Philippines I only gained 3-4 lbs back.

Anyhow as I promised myself I started insanity seven days ago and also changed my diet to a lower carb one...

At first I just ate all my protien... And kept calories low. I will lose some muscle mass and that's ok for now.

I lost the 3-4 lbs in the first three days.

What changed after three days was I went out and bought six star protein powder for post workouts and I also take it in the morning with a banana as a breakfast shake. No milk just the protein and some water, a banana and ice cubes in a blender.

I have noticed visual fat loss and am happy but I also step on the scale every day and noticed today that I've gone from 180 to 181.

So what gives? Where is this extra lb coming from?

Could it be that the protein powder is really in just a few days bringing some muscle back that was dormant? I have large muscular legs (every person has that one muscle group they never pay attention to that explodes and mine is legs) and insanity is so much leg related. So maybe...

But if not then what.

I do NOT WANT to do these 60 days and have no payoff. The program is way too hard for that to happen.

I am:
    Male
    5'6"
    29 years old
    No drugs at all (smoking etc)
    Work outside burning 600-700 calories a day according to the HR monitor
    Looking for a very fast fat loss similar to what John stone did at first.

My diet has been 1300-1900 calories depending. All clean.
    Zero white sugar/flour/carbs like that.
    All clean protein... Only beef I've eaten is 93% fat free angus ground beef.
    Veggies like brocolli lettuce etc.

Maybe one last thought. I seasoned the beef with taco seasoning... Lots and lots of sodium, but not a 1lb water weight gain right?

Thanks for reading. Sorry it's so long.

2. George

George Senior Member

A pound of water weight isn't all that hard to gain via increasing your sodium intake. I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, bodyweight will fluctuate for a number of reasons, and you really shouldn't think much of it unless a significant trend develops over time.

Anyway, what I think is more worrisome is your low calorie intake and apathy towards muscle loss. :)

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

One pound is less then half litre of water. Call it one US pint. You can't worry about that.

Are your measurements changing? Waist getting bigger? Other changes?

But one pound isn't anything to worry about. Certainly not when you're eating so little.

4. steven-c

Well it's not apathy, and I was never super muscular.

This is the first step in a lifetime journey and if at the end of it I end up looking like bruce lee, would it bother me? Not in the least.

I recognized that one of the primary reasons for my not keeping a fitness lifestyle was the trek to the gym. I would o on and off kicks where I would start to see excelled progress but life would get in the way.

I hope insanity and p90x will build a foundation for me and discipline me into workouts mentality where the gym isn't 5km/2.5mi away but 20ft away.

So after these sixty days I plan a rest week and then to start p90x, and my long term goals will be to then do the p90x/insanity combo some people talk about.

My psyche resists change, but my wife and I want to retire - YOUNG - as in 2-3 years in the Philippines so I have to implement major changes ("massive change" as Tony Robbins puts it) in all facets of my life now.

Anyhow. That'd be why a little muscle loss doesn't but me too much.

5. steven-c

Well If you've ever been overweight then u know there is that bump where the fat is. It covers where your six pack (or shut pack - the very bottom of the abs some super cut gets get...

That little bump is dissapearing. My arms are a little smaller than before when I wasn't doing hiit which is what's gonna happen however eventually the fat loss will make the muscles pop so I'm not worried.

But my legs. Oh boy my legs... Since it relies on them so much they are getting super hard muscles. During the yoga stretching I can see twitching muscles I had no idea existed before. If i flex the legs It feels like steel.

Those are the main changes.

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Those aren't the sort of changes to point to fat gain. They more point the other way. So don't worry.

7. steven-c

I guess it was more sticker shock to see it happen. Gotta love this support forum lol...