1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What Finally Pushed You Over the Edge?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Dorvaan, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

For all the people that are going through their first transformation, and to those that have already performed a transformation, I was just curious as to the event or series of events that finally made you make up your mind to make a lifestyle change.

For me it was actually a couple of things. First of all, late last year, I ran up the stairs to my apartment, taking them two at a time. However, when I got the top, I actually had to stop for a second, and regain my breath. I didn't like that, and half-heartedly decided I was going to do something about it. Then, as New Year's approached, I was reading another forum that I frequent (one completely unrelated to fitness), and there was a thread asking what everyone's resolutions were. There were several people that said there were going to start doing the Body For Life program. I had never heard of this, so it sparked a bit of intrigue. I started researching it, and thought that it looked like a pretty good idea. Although, I never specifically started Body For Life, it all started then, for me.

Likewise, it was because of that thread that I found out about JSF. I checked back a little bit later, and people were talking specifically about BFL, and one of the people was listing good fitness sites, and this was one of them that was listed. I signed up, and haven't looked back. :flex:

As a side note, if anyone reading this posts on another board as "Philly Sports Dude", get ahold of me...you are the one that informed me of this site. :tu:

2. supaspic

supaspic Well-Known Member

1. I used to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I was in top shape when I was 18, but after I finished my training I didnt have any other goals so I just finished school and went to college where I partied and ate crap. Finally I realized I was pretty much done with partying and decided I should try to get that body I have always wanted (Super-Hero type ;) ) and so I began to look for information sites. And I stumbled onto JSF and really I can't remember the first time I got here its been so long.

2) Almost all of my friends are in good shape and I felt so left out, and scared to take off my shirt, so I finally decided the only way to beat that was to become fit and so my journey began.

Supa

#91 Well-Known Member

JSF ultimately but what lead me to look into it is:

1. Like many others I'm sure, I was athletic, played many sports, was never cut but always had a good amount of bulk in muscle, then I started gaining weight and it sucked and I guess that depressed me a little.
    2. Friends, girls.
    3. tired of my appearance, determined to change my life in more ways then just this
    4. I am competitive and have a ego so I'm looking forward to the time where I can just show it off and be arrogant about my weight loss and look.

4. Boxer-in-training

Boxer-in-training Well-Known Member

2.5 years ago... still had some post baby weight and did not like how my body looked after two kids. I did a BFL challenge and that is what really catapulted me into healthy eating. So here I am, 2 1/2 yrs later and 30 lbs. lighter.

5. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

6. don_1987

don_1987 Well-Known Member

I always had an ideal body issue, I think it started since grade 3. But people never called me fat or anything, maybe because they were focused more on my height, which is as tall as an adult. I don't exactly know how I develop this weird syndrome, but anyway I've always dreamed of being lean since I was a child and back then the only way I knew how to do it was starving myself. But thank God, I had a pretty fast metabolism and I was engaged in different sport activity. I participate in any sport and daily too. Some of them were PE class and sometime extra-curricular activity. Bottomline, I was very very active during elementary until 3rd year high-school. So even though I eat crap in high dosage, I never get overweight, just a bit chubby :d_tongue:

Not until we moved back here in the Philippines when I was about to take my 4th year at high-school, where things took a turn for worst. You know, new enviroments, new friends, feeling lonely and the worst of all, no phisical activity! The only thing I did was go to school and that's it. My bad eating habit was a bad habit I developed since I was very very young (parents taught me how to eat, go figure! :lol: ) so how do I deal with all this stress? Food is the answer! (I don't think I need to explain that...)

So up until the second semester of my 4th year high-school, I was in my life's worst shape, weighting in at 180 lbs. Yeah I know it's not much, but if you have body issue, it is! By the way I'm 6'0'' so I'm still not overweight, but I didn't like what I see. I've been starving myself but it seems not to work (I wonder why? :lol: ) Anyway, since I was reading a lot of stuffs from magazine, internet etc, I decided to join a gym and put everything in action. So i think what pushed me was my ideal body issue

7. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth Well-Known Member

Well what pushed me over the edge was the culmination of a few things

1. I want to start Air Force ROTC in August, I have to make military weight limits by then.

2. Tired of the low self esteem that comes directly from feeling fat and out of shape. felt very undesireable.

3. Want to be able to finally go to the beach, pool, etc. and not feel like "the fat guy"

4. Proposed to my longtime GF, want to be in the best shape of my life for her. 3 years till we plan to be married.

5. High School reunion in 2 years, dont want attention due to how Ive let myself go to crap since High School. I wanna look like a million bucks.

Im only 3 weeks into my transformation, and have seen small results at this point, but I feel 110% better already.

8. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Atkins Diet, followed by a little black book. No kiddin!

I started lifting in highschool, end of grade 11. I think I could do 20 x 6 with the DB on the decline bench (powerhouse!). I knew nothing, and worked from there.

I went to university two years ago, and gained a bit of weight, maybe 5 lbs. I had never been in great shape, always slightly overweight. I think I was at about 155 lbs, soft, very little muscle. After Xmas (now in Jan 2004) I started sniffing out information on the Atkins diet after hearing about it's scientific successes in studies. I decided that I would give it a shot, more as an experiment than anything. I had toyed with the idea of getting into shape the previous year, and thought wistfully of it again, but didn't really think much further than that.

I started the diet, I started the exercise, and like that I was off, bitten by the fitness bug.

Over the span of about 2 months, I dropped 20 lbs and gained in every lift. I would only sleep about 6 hours naturally, I felt mentally sharper than ever before (until around now), and I had tons of energy. I managed to gain the glorified 4-pack (sketchy on the 6-pack) and everyone was surprised when they saw me again. It was pretty neat.

Exams came around, and I fell off the wagon. Atkins is great for some people, me included, so long as you could eat straight. I eased off it pretty quickly, due to the damn good cookies, beer, and other junk foods. I gained about 5 lbs back, and ended up at around 145-150 lbs.
    Over the summer I went to about 150-155, not being able to go to the gym much because of work.

This fall I began going to the gym a bit, but ended up slacking off and gaining weight. After Xmas, I was about 155 lbs. It was mostly fat, since I hadn't built muscle, and new nothing about nutrition.

This is where the black book came into play.
    I decided to write down what I ate in a day to see what I did eat. Nothing fancy, just another one of my experiments like the previous year's. Within 2 weeks I had started a cut, gained all sorts of knowledge on nutrition thanks to the web, and purchased clean foods, a protein supplement, Omega3 fish oils, started going back to the gym, and revamped my whole lifting schedule. Essentially after the first day of recording things down, I thought "This is *beep*-y food, I need to eat better!" I couldn't lie to myself about what I would eat, and as long as I kept recording things in the book, I wouldn't eat what I didn't want to write down!
    I lost mostly fat from 155 down to 143 over a 5 week cut, and then I got tired of that so I began to bulk. Here I am today.

So essentially I never decided to get into shape... Both stages were just experiments gone haywire.

9. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

July 11th, 2004, I stepped on my crappy home scale that I had recently bought to get a rough estimate, and it said 238 lbs. I stepped on it a couple more times just to make sure I was reading things right.

I finally realized that I had passed that "pleasantly plump" mark and was truly fat. Obese. I felt ugly and unhealthy, and I had run out of places that sold clothes I could fit into.

I vowed to start losing weight from that day on, and have been dropping the pounds ever since.

10. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

Bought a new camera last year. Took pics of everything I could find, only thing i didnt have was photos of me. Over the years ive avoided the camera because ive never really felt that it caught my best side you know? that was throughout primary school where i was skrawny to uni where i put on a lot of weight especially as i was filling up. Anyhow I took a photo, and WHOOSH... pie in the face. Couldnt believe what i saw. I looked hard at it and thought "....oh".
    So i decided to get back to the gym (started a year back but didnt go for a year because i put my studies on a higher priority - which wouldnthave been so bad if i actually passed :lol: ).

Of course what i see in the mirror now is improved but i could be seeing it better than it actually is, so i never truly rely on it. Only till ive got popping veins and the faintlines of a six pack will i know for sure the flab is nearly gone.

11. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Wow, Bluestreak's and my own motivation are very simlilar. When my friend gave me a picture of myself from a party, and I could see my chubby face and stomach. This was after I had been playing soccer year round for over 3 years, so I was accustomed to being in the low 150's and at the time of the picture I was closing in on 190. I just reached 160 today, and by next week I hope to finally break that 150 barrier again. Thank god for that picture..

12. jbob

jbob Well-Known Member

The movie documentary, "Supersize me".

everyday leading up to the day I watched that movie, I would tell myself as I got into the shower. "I gotta stop drinking soda pop" everyday for several years! **SEVERAL YEARS!**

I allways felt lethargic, like crap, couldent compete in my favorite sports anymore, really got into paintball a couple of years ago and found that I couldent keep my wind while playing and only played a couple of times last year becuase of it.

After watching that movie, it made me litterally sick to my stomach.

Its now been allmost 3 months since I started making changes and 7 weeks since I found this site and finally made REAL changes to my diet, lifting and cardio.

I feel like a million bucks now, I don see huge weight changes, but I see huge size differences, ive lost just over 6'' off my abdomen, 2 1/2'' off my chest and my muscles are becoming defined.

I am now, in better shape than anyone I play paintball with, im in better shape than anyone in my family and just today, I am wearing jeans that I bought over 10 years ago and they fit PERFECT!!!

I still have a long ways to go, but comming here everyday keeps me motivated!

Thanks guys! :tu:

13. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Multiple knee problems, being clinically obese, shortness of breath, failing health, lack of self esteem... But the thing that finally pushed me over the edge was twofold:

1) My doctor telling me I was pre-Type II, but luckily I was in the earliest stages and could take steps to prevent it's development.

2) A special person in my life who told me she didn't care what kinda shape I was in, as long as I lived a good long life.

Couldn't have the second without the first, and what i finally had was real support, it took less than a year to do a complete 180, and only a few short years later, I have my whole life to look forward to, sounds cheesy I know :lol:

14. Fly_Moe

Fly_Moe Well-Known Member

I went to the doctor for a check up and they took my blood. Come to find out I had high cholesterol - over 300. High cholesterol runs in my family, but the doctor said I had to basically change my diet and start exercising more, or risk a heart attack early in life. Well, seeing as my grandfather passed away at around 50 (from a heart attack), and my dad has to take Crestor and all types of other drugs (which I want no part in taking), I wasted no time in joining a gym and making life style changes. Actually, I think the next day I joined a gym. Also, after coming back from the doctors, I jumped on the internet in search of a fat loss program and I found JSF. Since then, I've drop from about 240 to 194 (weighed myself today). And the other day I had my cholesterol results again. This time it was much better at 170, though the doctor wants me to lower it even more. But I honestly have to say that this is the best I've felt in over 5 years, right before I stoped exercising and got fat. I still have 20-15 more pounds I'd like to lose.

15. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

From 1997-2000, I went from 180lbs to 240lbs. Since it happened gradually I had no idea I was that big until I got my yearly physical at work. I was blown away. Even though my pant size went from a 34 to a 42 over that span, it took me actually seeing the scale before it set in.

Jason

16. HowBoutThemCowboys?

HowBoutThemCowboys? Well-Known Member

For me it was getting on a scale after coming back from a vacation this Christmas. When the scaled said "205" I realized that I couldnt keep up my former college lifestyle without the daily swimming workouts that I used to do. It was about that time that I found JSF and made some major dietary changes and I haven't looked back since.

17. itbeachgurl

itbeachgurl Well-Known Member

For me, it was when I would look in the mirror and I wouldn't see the person I thought I was. In my mind, I was the slim, 25 year old, flirty chic. But actually I wasn't that at all. I was overweight and very unhappy.

Then for Christmas in 2003 my husband bought me a Palm. I found a program that runs on it that tracks your weight, calorie input/output, bf, protien, fats..pretty much everything.

So I just did basic math...decrease input, increase output.

From there it was just making myself do it, and I am glad I did. I feel better then I have ever felt and now in my mind, I am exactaly who I want to be. :cool:

18. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

I'll start out with what didn't push me over the edge. What motivated me to, say, go to the gym a little more often, worry a lot more often, and generally feel bad about myself, but didn't persuade me to really do what was necessary.

The following things didn't spur me to do what was necessary to lose weight and get in shape.

1. Seeing my scale weight rise to the point where I was "obese" on the BMR.

2. Having to put all my clothes into storage because I got too fat to wear them.

3. No longer being able to recognize myself in the mirror. Hating seeing my image in photographs.

4. Getting taken to task for binge eating by my parents.

5. Developing chronic back problems and joint pain.

6. Developing chronic acid reflux.

7. Trying to keep up in sports that I was once good at and failing.

8. Seeing my cholesterol rise past safe levels.

9. Having my then-girlfriend call me fat.

10. Having people write blog entries on the Internet and spreading them to all my friends making fun of me for being fat and having a binge drinking problem.

11. Realizing I had a binge drinking problem.

12. Being hospitalized for depression, hitting rock bottom, and quitting drinking.

13. Graduating from college.

14. Finding a gym and getting a gym membership.

15. Being repeatedly told by doctors and prospective trainers that I was dangerously overweight and needed to lose body fat.

16. Being told by my then-89 year old grandfather (now 90 and still vigorous) who recently had eye surgery that I was fat and needed to "lose about 15 pounds" as he patted my stomach and laughed at me.

What pushed me over the edge and finally propelled me forward was very different. Most of what came before just made me feel cruddy and hopeless.

This is what did push me over the edge.

I went shopping with a male friend of mine from college for workout clothes. We were talking about women and whatnot. He had recently moved to the City, and I had joined a gym a few months back. In college, he had been overweight, then, right after graduation, when he got off cafeteria food, he lost a ton of weight, and the muscle he'd been building from lifting all those years really showed through.

Anyway, he was trying on those sleeveless, futuristic running tops that are way too expensive, and the female store clerks were all over him. They were chatting him up and complimenting him, and I remember looking in a tall mirror across the store at myself. I was wearing ill-fitting business casual clothes, khakis and a button down shirt, the khakis strained around the pelvis and my gut hung over the belt. I looked a damned mess.

Then my friend got my attention and sad, staight up, right to me without any sort of condemnation, "You know what would help you with girls? Maybe if you lost the paunch."

And I looked at him and realized how far he had come and how much fun he was having, and suddenly, where before I had only had guilt, I now had a goal. I had a positive way of visualizing what I wanted. I had a promise not just of the bad things I had been through that I felt I could not change, but of the good things that I could make happen! My competitive spirit kicked in, and I realized I was going to do it. If he could do it, I could do it.

The next day, I went to GNC and picked up a bunch of thermogenics. I resolved to permanently give up soda. I had been lurking on JSF for a while by then; I went back and pored over it.

I bought my first can of sardines (since then, a main staple of mine, and sort of a symbol of my efforts), read all the labels on the cereal boxes in the grocery store, checking for HFCS (well, not all of them, the Lucky Charms were ruled out ahead of time) and bought a box of Grape Nuts. I started measuring my food. I upped my cardio to 6 times a week, 45 minutes a day.

I had every reason in the world not to be fat for years before my shopping trip with my friend, but what he gave me was a reason to be slim. That's what I'd been missing the whole time.

Of course, over time, my competitive impulse has become more generalized, and I don't do it so much to outdo my friend as to keep up with the other guys in general who have been successful in doing this important and difficult thing. And for that, JSF has been invaluable.

Thanks very much, guys.

19. pug

pug Well-Known Member

When my fiance and I were talking one night about our favorite pictures of eachother and she showed me her favorite of me; a solid 190 lbs back sophomore year in high school... it was my football pic for the yearbook. Made me almost bust out in tears to see how fat I let myself get.

1997 - 187 lbs.
    2005 - 269 lbs.

sick.

Pug

20. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Jason, I don't think I'd seen a before picture for you yet - you've been sort of "fine tuning" since I got here. Awesome work! Wow! What a difference!