1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What DON'T You Like About......

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by HevyMetal, Aug 23, 2014.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Working out, gym memberships, routines, programs etc. etc. etc. that causes you to

(a) Give up
    (b) Not join at all
    (c) abandon programs

?

What would be the perfect scenario for you to:-

(a) become involved in the first place

(b) stay involved

whether it be joining a gym or your own program at home....?

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

The last gym I used was Planet Fitness. Never again. Gyms suck. Particularly PF. I've never seen a more motley collection of lazy, cherubic people than that gym.

This works best for me. It takes only a few pieces of equipment and you can build a home gym for around the cost of a year's worth of membership at a decent gym. If you're motivated? You could probably do it a lot cheaper... only took me 10 years to figure that out. :blank:

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    What I don't like about big commercial gyms are the number of people standing around in the weight training area, blocking access to the equipment while NOT actively working out. I know they pay the same dues I do, but at the same time a little courtesy to those who are trying to time their sets (and keep their heart-rate up) would be nice.

The other day I was waiting to use one of the two chest fly machines at my gym. Both were taken by senior citizen-type men... or should I say, they were sitting on them while they talked up some senior citizen-type ladies. I stood close to their little group (close enough to hear their conversations) while I waited a minute... two minutes... still no movement of the handles, just the movement of their lips as they chatted. Finally one of the ladies pulled out her phone (to show pictures of her grandchildren) and I actually joined the circle and started looking at the pics... which brought odd looks from all four. Finally one of the guys asked if I was waiting for the machine, and when I replied "yes," he quickly banged out a set with about ten pounds on the stack (and about half the range of motion) and they all walked off in a huff as if I was the one causing the problem.

And don't get me started about the packs of five or six "bros" who all rotate through the same exercise, completely dominating a piece of equipment for a half hour or more at a time (while they change plates between each set and as each person works in), all the time checking their texts and doing "bro-type" things like asking each other "So how much you bench?"

#3 phillydude, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I like gyms for the most part -- they have lots of equipment -- none of which I have to maintain. The biggest thing I don't like about commercial gyms are the crowds. Luckily, I go very late at night (around 2 am), so there is hardly anybody there.

You also picked the worst possible gym to join, so it is no surprise you didn't like it.

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Saw a bro at my gym yesterday using his chalk bag to chalk up for a set of incline DB press with 50 lb DBs. He also had a 15 lb medicine ball that he was carrying around for some reason. There was a trail of chalk around every piece of equipment he used. My gym (Golds) does not allow chalk. :lol:

All that said, he looked jacked and had big, beefy, baseball-player forearms. :nod:

I bitch a lot about the gym and people in it, but I really like having a gym to go to. I enjoy variety and can't picture myself ever dumping sufficient funds into home-exercise equipment to get the same value I get from the membership. I also like having a backup place to shower.

Every time I've quit, it has been for the same reason: I've stopped going for a week or two - always some legitimate reason to start with (injury, vacation, etc.) - and have reveled in the time it has freed up...so I extend the absence until months have gone by and I have to re-start.

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't like people. They make me nervous.

I've never joined a gym because I've been too afraid that I would quit going, just being overwhelmed by the busyness of the place. I like quiet spaces.

Having a lot of my own equipment was the solution for me before. I was able to work out whenever I wanted without anybody getting in my way.

A couple of the places I've lived in have had gyms. The one I'm in now has a gym. I'm trying to learn its patterns of visitors so that I can make a habit of going when it's quiet. I just don't like the idea of having to wait for something I want to use, or somebody else being inconvenienced because I'm using something they want.

Also, I hesitate to even mention this, but I don't like the thought of driving to get somewhere. It seems wasteful. I can walk to my gym, and that makes me happy.