1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you listen to while pushing iron?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Jaybird, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Well-Known Member

What do you listen to while weight lifting?

I need something with a good beat. Usually Rage Against the Machine, Rob Zombie, Linkin Park, and some old school Metallica does the trick.

2. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Loaded in the changer right now...

Linkin Park
    Tori Amos
    Smashing Pumpkins(Gish)
    Depeche Mode
    Alanis Morissette.

3. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

4. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

As mentioned in the other thread Linkin Park is probably top dog. I've also put some serious hours in with the new prodigy album. Chemical Brothers is also great.

5. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

Linkin Park got lots of nods in that other said, but I wanted to post to second the nod to the new Prodigy album. OMG, awesome lifting music. It helped pump me up lifting this a.m., in fact. :tucool:

6. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Cardio:
    Dream Theater
    Prodigy
    Crystal Method
    KMFDM

Lifting:
    16volt
    Fear Factory
    Hatebreed
    Soul Scar
    Shadows Fall
    Pantera
    Slayer
    Old Metallica

7. G_Man

G_Man Well-Known Member

When I really want to get the adrenaline going, AC/DC

8. joecan

joecan Well-Known Member

Especially "Highway To Hell". If I feel myself starting to slow down, I put this on and get pumped up real quick. I just think that if I don't continue this, that might be where my body is heading.

9. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Pretty much all hip-hop/rap. Anything with a good beat and that gets me pumped. I pretty much listen to all rap outside of the gym too though, so it doesn't really change.

10. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

I don't listen to music when I work out. Or, rather, I listen to whatever canned garbage my gym plays (someone should tell them Ashly Simpson really isn't appropriate for a weight room, for God's sake!).

I've never listened to headphones when I work out; I can't stand having the wires hanging off of me and catching on things. Maybe it's from back when I was a distance runner in high school, but I usually sing songs silently to myself. It might sound crazy, but it works easily enough and really helps pass the time and keep up my morale.

11. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Ahh, but see with my MP3 Player attached to my arm and my headphones having a 3 ft. cord, I just lace it through my sleeve and it NEVER interferes with anything.

I used to never use my own music, then after I did once, I can't lift without it.

12. jRS

jRS Well-Known Member

Whatever is on the radio or what the gym staff has chosen (have mostly been Westlife...). Doesn't really matter to me, as long as they keep the volume down. I'm not enjoying anything when I'm lifting heavy and I can't concentrate on anything else.
    Congrats karatetricker. You are probably one out of a few who has found a non-interfering way to listen to MP3. When I first started lifting even a crumple on my t-shirt annoyed the hell out of me.

13. Evil Hx Coupe

Evil Hx Coupe Well-Known Member

I usually just listen to whatever they play at my gym... Which is mosty old rock. The only song I like from their playlist is EYE OF THE TIGER... They should loop that song, I swear I can lift more when that song is playing :).

I'll probably grab an mp3 player soon so I can listen to my favorite rap/hip-hop tunes while I hit the weights.

14. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

It depends. I usually throw on some Slipknot, Metallica, and Amen for lifting. Amen and Slipknot are brilliant for the job. During cardio, I put on long songs.
    Metallica's cover of Mercyful Fate, is about 11 minutes long, constantly heavy fast and perfect.

15. furches

furches Well-Known Member

What I listen to....

Personally I start ALL of my workouts with "Corduroy Blues" by Adam Sandler. TRUST ME, if any of you have ever heard it, you'll know why it is the perfect motivation for a workout. Then I like some of Eminem's upbeat stuff (Lose Yourself, Without Me, Mosh), Seether, Metallica, and some of Lenny Kravitz's upbeat stuff (Where are we runnin'?, Fly Away, American Woman).

16. Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

With a bit of trial and error i have found what works well for me. I listen to anything with a fast bass beat before lifting for about 10 mins but while lifting i dont have any music on i just leave the headphones in as they block out sound well and people dont talk to me until i take them out. Cardio wise i listen to a mixture that excludes anything with a fast beat. If i have a fast beat on i tend to speed up and ignore my heart rate monitor bleeping at me.
    Widers

17. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Well-Known Member

I used to just listen to the music playing overhead in the gym, but now i selectively chose songs from movies that make me imagine myself doing something great!

A couple of my favorites are Bush's Glycerine and Machine Head, Collective Soul's Run and Foofighters' Hero (both from the varsity blues soundtrack). Ive also just started listening to Lost Prophets. They have a song called Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja that gets me pumped while under the weights!

18. Rock

Rock Well-Known Member

Just to name a few..........Project 86, POD, Pillar, Living Sacrifice, Evanescence, God Smack, Linkin Park, Switchfoot........... and the list goes on.......... :db:

19. stonerose

stonerose Well-Known Member

hello all

well i do something different....as i work out at home i download mp3s from mp3blogs etc, load em in randomized order to winamp and hit play.

monthly change it, weekly tweak the list. build up an archive of past workout tracks...

keeps cv on the elliptical interesting ! :tu: ..

currently contains killers, franzferdinand, buggles, nu yorcan soul, classic disco etc

20. american dream

american dream Well-Known Member

Punk & HipHop & Military

:bb: For lifting, mostly hip-hop:
    Visionaries
    Atmosphere
    Heiroglyphics
    Del the Funky Homosapien

and more Atmosphere!

:jumping: For Running/Cardio:
    Ministry - New World Order... best running song EVER!
    KMFDM - Especially "Glory"
    My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult - A song called "Things of the Flesh"
    NIN
    Tsunami Bomb
    The Vandals
    Unwritten Law
    Jimmy Eat World (woot woot Mesa boys!!!)
    and last but not least.. NOFX! the greatest band ever! :whistle:

Finally, if you can get your grubby lil mitts on it, grab a copy of USMC Running to the Cadences. The Navy and Army also have some but the Marine Corps. disc is the best. As you would imagine, it keeps you in great time, and helps you remember that there are more important things out there going on in the world. Keeps that focus razor sharp!