1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What chances does an ectomorph have of getting buff

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by yp_panagGR, May 25, 2006.

1. COBound158

COBound158 Well-Known Member

Sorry...didn't mean to offend anyone.

2. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Motivation is everything. I've known supposed ectomorphs who were lean and buff. These monikers are overhyped anyway. Put time in on diet and excercise and you'll get great progress. Excuses will guarantee none.

3. Buster

Buster Active Member

Hi

Hey,

I'm very much an ectomorph. The first time I started weight training properly was about 3 years ago, just before I started university. Since then, I'd always been on and off - for example, I'd be in the gym regularly for 2 months, then lay off for 3, etc. etc.

Almost 3 months ago I looked at an old photo of me I took from when I just began training. I looked a lot lot skinnier then, and I realised that even though I hadn't trained as regularly as I would've liked over the 3 years, it'd had a clearly visible effect. I thought, what if I'd trained consistently over those three years and eaten really well? I could've put on a lot more!

Since then I've been in the gym every other day without fail, and have been eating well (supplementing with protein shakes). For me, it's all about making my gym routine and eating routine habitual - so it's not a 1 or 2 month fad, but so I'll keep it going for the long haul. I'm not going to stress about my progress every week, but if I look in the mirror after 6 months and think I've seen improvement, that's all I need.

Just train hard and eat big. If you do that consistently and over a long period of time, nothing can stop you from growing. Even over this last 3 months of hard work and good eating, I've noticed more gains than ever before and muscle cropping up in places I didn't know existed! Good luck.

4. SpiderKing

SpiderKing Well-Known Member

I think almost any1 can add a certain amount of size to their frame, no matter how skinny. There's always exceptions and I'm sure there are ppl in this world who couldn't gain more than 10 lbs if they tried, but just about everyone can get bigger

I'm not the skinniest dude out there but I was always sooo very lean and wirey, with a skinny neck and chest. I'm still 6' 160 lbs, and Im really not big, but all I have is muscle....and I feel like I've earned every pound of it. I've outworked ppl twice my size to be half their size. And I'm not a very consistent person, and my diet sucks, but I'm already happy with the progress I've made the last 3 yrs. I love being stronger than ppl much bigger than me, I always get the same response - "Damn you're strong." <--That's my motivation right there, because I've still got so much size to gain, and along with that even more strength

It's possible for everyone. Over time your weaknesses become your strengths

5. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Yeah. VERY few strictly fall into the somatypes. The vast majority are some mixture rendering them a nullity for practical pruposes, in my opinion. There are exceptions. But even those that do simply have to eat more or less to acheive their various goals.

6. yp_panagGR

yp_panagGR Well-Known Member

wow, that helped alot, thanks:tucool:

7. philph

philph Well-Known Member

There's a famous saying: "The grass is always greener on the other side"! I think it's always an easy mistake to feel that our own struggle is somehow harder or more unfair than other people's.

Sounds like me.

Hey, that also sounds like me!

What do you know, with my inherently long, thin, muscle-resistant frame and my tendency to assimilate the entire contents of my immediate environment into my adipocytes, I'm a full-blown endo-ectomorph.

I tend to share this outlook.

On the whole, 3500 calories will bloat me up like a big blubbery whale, while 3499 will deflate me like a emaciated semi-shadow :bang:

8. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm about as close to your stats as you will probably find. I've got another inch on you at 6' 3" and I started a pound lighter at you at 148 (actually I've been lighter, but that's when I started tracking).

I've been at this properly just over a year now and put on 34lbs. I've put on a little belly fat, but nothing serious and my diet has been far from perfect.

I started putting on weight at about 3500 kcal, but now I need to eat about 4000 kcal. It's a lot at first, but you get used to it. Make sure you spread it out throughout the day as the classic mistake is to eat huge meals which fools you into believing you are eating more than you actually are. My biggest breakthrough was to actually track every calorie for a while. This proved how little I was actually eating, compared to my estimate.

My body reacts more to higher reps than volume. I don't know how unusual that is, but it's certainly worth experimenting with.

If anyone says you cannot put on weight, block them out. They are wrong. It may take more effort, but you'll get there.

Take pictures now. You will want them later. Practically everyone who doesn't regrets it. Display them or hide them away, it doesn't matter; just make sure you take them.

Take tape measurements every week.

When you are skinny, you will really notice your belly when you feel bloated. Ignore it. As long as the tape keeps telling you, it hasn't got ridiculous live with the belly. Spreading out your meals and eating clean will help though.

You are tall, so it will take longer for results to really show. Your muscles are generally longer so it will take longer for them to bulk out. Also an inch of muscle on you will look smaller than an inch on someone with shorter limbs. In photographs this can work against you; but in real life you will look very impressive.

Don't forgo sleep.

Don't ever feel hungry.

Good luck

9. Demon Knight

Demon Knight Well-Known Member

I think you have just as much a chance as anyone apart from the genetic elite. There are VERY few people that can add muscle whilst keeping low bodyfat levels, even though their diet is pretty atrocious. However, they are the ones you see in the gym doing 30 sets of biceps curls:D and having nice toned bodies.

The guy you see in the corner, using a squat rack for....what do you know....squats rather than bicep curls (what the hell is that guy thinking? most gym-boys would say)....that's me! In fact, I bet a lot of people on this forum are just out of place at the gym because a)they don't have great genetics so they start from scratch and b)they use big compound exercises, not millions of isolation ones.

-Start a log, with weight,measurements, calorie intake and weight lifted at the gym.
    -Eat clean and a lot.
    -Concentrate on big compound movements (squat, deadlift and variations, bench press or dips, Chin up or row, shoulder press). -Nevermind if you don't feel your arms burning because you are not doing bicep isolation exercises. They will grow. How can you row 200lbs without big biceps?
    -Most importantly,note your progress. Incremental increase.....2-10lbs added on big compounds every week, 300kcal up or down on your calories every week and so on. This will keep you on track.

When you get up to squatting 1.5 times bodyweight for 20 reps and benching 1.5 times bodyweight for a single, you will be plenty big (probably around 170lbs lean body mass with a 16 inch arm if you are 5'9''). As Stuart McRobert says, "all this (getting big) can be done without a single bicep curl or tricep extension. A lesson in priorities".

10. Ippo

Ippo Active Member

There is some GREAT advice in this thread. I can't really add anything more to what was said. Remember to take some before pictures b/c it's hard to see improvements since you look at yourself everyday. I pmed you my before ecto pic and the after pic +30lbs. Didn't want to hi-jack your thread :nono:

11. airforcePTL

airforcePTL Well-Known Member

I, too, am an ectomorph and I believe the golden rules are:

1) NEVER let your stomach growl. Always eat something before bed and/or drink a casein protein shake

2) Get plenty of sleep! At least 8 hours/night

3) Lift heavy weights in the 6-10 rep range (I'd suggest an isolation workout over a full-body workout)

4) Do cardio (nothing crazy, maybe 20-30 minutes) on your days off to improve recovery time and to stay lean

I was 150 lbs when I started college and started applying those rules and just exploded. I just finished my cut and I am 190 lbs. The great thing about being an ectomorph is that cutting up is pretty easy. But you have to be careful not to burn off muscle. Stay focused and do not be discouraged if you do not see instant progress. Many people will quit, thinking it's not working for them when in fact the body is just adjusting to the new lifestyle and is on the verge of growing! Slowly build up your calorie intake and you'll be sweet. Oh, and get ready to take the most massive poops you have ever taken in your life :D :lol: . Good luck!!

12. AR15 guy

AR15 guy Active Member

I came out meso and my brother came out ecto. His is very thin but he is really strong for his size. I have seen him take it to a lot of guys bigger than him.

Being able to eat constantly would be very nice. I generally can eat anything I weight and hardly gain. I do gain but its slowly.

On a good diet and plenty of hard training you should see results. They won't be overnight but if you stay with it the results will come no doubt.

13. Meister

Meister Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm also an ectomorph and have a question, but didn't want to start my own thread. Can anyone recommend me a work-out schedule that doesn't involve equipment/bar-bells? At home I have access to:
    Dumbbells
    Bench
    Exercise Bar
    And I think maybe a pull-up bar.

Any routine that's good for bulking will do. If I can find the exercises on http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm that's even better, since I don't know how to do most of the exercises. Thanks in advance :).

14. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

sometimes i wish i was an ecto so i can drink more beer and eat like crazy.

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I weigh 185 and I can manage that squat set (20x275), and am close to that bench (1.5 x 185 = 277, I've done 2x250 so my hypothetical max is about 265). I think my lean body mass is about 150lbs.

I'm 5' 7" which is close to the height mentioned but arms are just about 14.5" - 14.75".

So I think he'll get the 20 squats and bench of 1.5 x BW long before he will get the 16" arms.

16. Rymanes

Rymanes Well-Known Member

Just wanted to chime in and add some ectomporphic advice of my own. I'm also an ectomorph and I understand how you feel.

As for training, a lot of sources say that ectomorphs respond well to high volume, low repetition, and long rest (2-4 minutes) between sets. I do MAX-OT (links below) which embodies all of those principles and I respond very well to it.

As for diet, be scientific about it. There is no set number of calories to eat for ectomorphs, whether it be 3500 or 5000. You need to figure out how many calories you burn and aim for a caloric surplus above that. +500 calories is probably best.

The cleanliness of your diet and the size of your surplus will determine how much fat you add to your stomach and elsewhere. We ectomorphs add fat to our stomachs first (and in my experience, almost exclusively). We never "look fat", even if we've got a high body fat level--because we're sucking in that tummy! Be very clean in your diet: aim for a 30% protein, 50% carbs, 20% fat split and you'll be fine. Also, in my opinion, don't overdo the surplus. I know we want to gain weight, but if you gain weight too fast, more of it will be fat. I think 1 pound a week is an excellent goal to maintain---no less, no more.

You absolutely need to read the Bulking Guide here at JSF, found here: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=51. The author is himself an ectomorph and he's had excellent gains and has excellent advice. You can find links there about how to calculate how many calories you burn and how many you need to eat.

Some closing thoughts... The worst part about being an ectomorph is not our racing metabolisms. You can overcome any metabolism with enough food! :) It's our straight-down frame. People mistake our rectangles for weakness, because the superhero-V is the icon of masculinity in the 21st century. But all this means is we've got a longer road ahead of us to build an awesome frame. It doesn't mean that we can't do it. That would defy the fundamentals of how the body works: anyone can gain weight if you eat enough, and if you're working out and eating clean, you will gain mostly muscle. Good luck and as always we're all here for you!

-Rymanes

--------------
    Some links:

MAX-OT:
    pdf: http://www.johnstonefitness.com/misc/MAX-OT.pdf
    www: http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

Bulking Guide:
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=51

17. Wizard12

Wizard12 Well-Known Member

one thing is worst than being an ectomorph, and that's

Being an Ectomorph with some endomorph's qualities.

For most ectomorphs the problem is gaining muscle mass, but for those unfortunate beings they also gain fat fairly easily.

But i'd say, never give up ...It's just a matter of time
    through clean diet and consistent training you'll get to your goal
    just remember to keep it realistic.

2 years ago, after working out for a year and gaining a lot of fat mass I wanted to "reset" my body and start all over.

so I cut down to 127lbs on 5"11 with 6-7% bf basically looking like south park starvin marvin.

2 years later I'm at 155lbs with ~12% bf.

I still look "small", but I made some progress.

So don't give up just yet, it might take you more time than the athlete-built mesomorph or the quick muscle-gaining endomorph but with enough will and determination eventually you'll reach your goals.
    :tucool:

18. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I've been looking on the forums for a while. I barely stumbled upon what an ectomorph is. Now everything makes sense. In these last two months I have realized how important a diet is, especially to an ectomorph. If I eat at maintenance level I still lose weight. Also I gained next to nothing in muscle mass in that past to months ( I did make improvements this week however but that's becase I changed up my diet). I was kind of disapointed in my progress but now I understand a little more. Thanks again guys.