1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What chances does an ectomorph have of getting buff

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by yp_panagGR, May 25, 2006.

1. yp_panagGR

yp_panagGR Well-Known Member

I unfortunately am an ectomorph, and my motivation often time just gets taken away because of what I am. So i was just wondering whether any past ectomorphs out there can give any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot:D

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Can you show us what you are currently doing (weightlifting split/exercises/sets/reps, diet/cals/macros/food choices/sample meals)? That way maybe we can help you tweak your program.

If I had to offer just a few diet suggestions for the ectomorph looking to gain muscle, they would be:

OATS
    STEAK
    EGGS
    OATS

The ectomorph can certainly put on muscle. Yes it may be harder for you than it is for me (but you can get those abs to show more easily than I can!)...but it is possible.

Tell us more about your current routine please.

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Your main goal should be to eat; it should be your job. Your resistance program should be heavy, intense, and short. You should minimize all forms of cardio. You need to be consistent. You need to be patient.

4. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

:claplow:

This should be on the wall of every high school gym in America!!!

5. yp_panagGR

Heres my program: (randomly found it on some site)

Day 1:
    Bench Press: 4-5 sets 5-7 reps
    Dumbell Flyes: 3-5 sets 7-9reps
    Bent Arm Pullovers : 3 sets 7-9reps
    Deadlifts: 4-5 sets 5-7 reps
    Bent Over Rows: 4-5 sets 5-7 reps

Day 2:
    Squats: 4-5sets 5-7 reps
    Leg extensions: 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Leg Curls: 3-5 sets 7-9reps
    Crunches/Leg raise: 3 sets 20 reps each

Day 3: Rest

Day 4:
    Standing Barbell Press: 4-5 sets 5-7 reps
    Alternating Dubmell Press: 4-5 sets 5-7 reps
    Alternating Dubmell Curl: 4-5 sets 5-7 reps
    Close Grip Bench Press: 4 sets 5-7 reps
    Reverse Curls: 3 sets 5-7 reps

Day 5: Rest

(thats it)

Any suggestions? or ideas on what to eat, how much etc etc.

Also another observation I have made... i read everywhere and I agree with those who say this, that you must eat eat eat... but eating and eating and eating has huge costs, in this country atleast its a bit more expensive than what I used to be accustomed with in West Palm... so... can someone possibly list foods that I could make that would provide carbs and proteins + calories????

Thanks a bunch

#5 yp_panagGR, May 25, 2006
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  6. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Well...eating a lot is what you have to do. Especially for an ectomorph. You can have the best training program, but if you're not taking in a caloric surplus you're body won't put on appreciable muscle.

7. Shane Reid

Shane Reid Well-Known Member

Peanuts/Peanut Butter, and Milk. Both have a lot of protien/fat/calories/carbs.

8. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There's a fair number of high school kids who should not skip the cardio. A lot.

9. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Well, you if want it your gonna have to make some sacrifices.

I'm sure there is an area or two in your lifestyle you can cut back on to buy some qaulity food:tu:

10. johnyboy

johnyboy Well-Known Member

There's a lot of people who'd love to be in your shoes. As an ectomorph I can tell you there are huge advantages to it.

less likely to put on fat with your muscle when bulking
    easier to lose fat when you're cutting
    muscles look great with smaller joints

It's nearly all about your diet. When I was last bulking I was on 4500 calories a day at the end.

11. COBound158

COBound158 Well-Known Member

How long have you been training?

Please....Please do not complain about being an ectomorph. You should go hug your parents right now.

12. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Not all ectomorphs have it as easily as you think.

-R

13. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You must have been an endomorph. A true ectomorph has absolutely no reason to hug his parents. It's the meso's that should.

Ecto and endo are extremes and both are undesirable. Meso's are the middle and ideal body. They can build muscle or lose fat easily and tend to keep whatever BF% they have. They also have slim hips, wide shoulders, and a strong frame.

Ecto's have a very hard time building muscle and tend to lose what they do build. They have very slim hips and slim shoulders. They have a more dainty bone structure with small joints. They will have a hard time ever looking muscular because of their slim profile. They'll always be "little."

Endo's have a very easy time putting on fat and they have a hard time losing it. They have wide hips and usually wide shoulders too. They have a large bone structure. They will have a hard time ever looking thin because of their wide profile.

Edit: I should note that I don't really agree with somatype classifications, but these are the typical definitons. If you do fall into a strict somatype then this is what you should expect. Hard work will always overcome them, however. For an ectomorph, it's a consistent large calorie surplus -- not unlikely 5000, 6000, or more clean calories each day.

#13 chicanerous, May 26, 2006
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  14. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

easy?

is it "hard" to be an endomorph?

I'm not impressed with discussions on differentiating body types. Embrace what you've been given, but continue to move in the direction you'd like to go. You won't get anywhere just whining about your plight. I had a rough time in high school spending a lot of time being annoyed that I didn't look like Cindy Crawford, but I'm getting over it.
    :neener:

Or maybe I should just shut up and go hug my parents. (not that I've ever had "slim hips" or avoided becoming overweight)

#14 guava, May 26, 2006
  15. Shane Reid

Shane Reid Well-Known Member

5000-6000 clean calroies a day? I can't even get that much in and I gorge out on bacon sandwhiches and pizza at least 4 times a week...

16. yp_panagGR

After reading all the posts... I'd just like to say that it really hurts when people post things like "ectomorphs will always be "little" ". It is really really really a turn off on motivation and determination that someone like me tries to build up consistently. At 149 pounds and 6"2, I am thin, and not built, but I do believe in myself that If I eat alot which I dont do, and if I continue to train hard like I do, I will make it, I will Succeed. It is just disturbing when I hear "those ectomorphs just cant do it," "its impossible", or ... "its just so much harder, they will always be small, u need atleast 5000 calories otherwise you just wont get there." All these things effect people like me I believe. But back on the topic, I wanted to add in another little question ... I am worried that If I eat big, and workout big, that the weight from the food I eat will just all gather up in the stomach, and nowhere else. I dont wont to form a beer belly. So is there anyway to keep it from building up at the stomach? What should I do... Im really worrid about the mass all going down there, and nowhere else. That would be a true nightmere. Any suggestions ?? Im stuck :doh:

17. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I am a classic ectomorph. At the age of 22 I was 115 lbs at my current height of 5'9". Since then, I've put on 50 lbs of muscle, all done naturally. My waist measurement at 115 lbs was 28". I am still at 28" even though I weigh 50 lbs heavier.

My secret?? Eat big and lift heavy!!

Although people were really mean and insensitive to me, I didn't let it disrupt what I eventually wanted to achieve. No one here is attempting to dishearten you son. We are all in your corner. If you have the motivation and desire, you can accomplish anything you set out to do. :tu:

18. yp_panagGR

Thank you very much for your response. You made my day. I'm going to sleep now so I'll see future responses to my question tomorrow, its 1:25 AM here in Athens now... Just one last question to you mastover, you said eat big.. can you kindly make a list of different foods that are good for getting big. Thanks alot, ill really appreciate it.

Nite everyone :sleep:

19. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

We don't mean to discourage you at all, but eating is important. Anyone who wants to put on a significant amount of muscle has to eat. Training alone will not get you there. In any case, it's unlikely you are a pure ectomorph -- very few people are, which is why somatypes are basically rubbish in that regard. Most people are a mixture of ecto/meso or meso/endo or, perhaps, some other combination or even defy classification. The fact is that if you want to become muscular -- say, for example, the size of a bodybuilder -- you may eventually have to eat 4000, 5000, 6000 calories per day. A true ectomorph is going to have to eat more than his meso or endomorph counterparts, but the bottom line is that all people with a large amount of muscle mass have to eat like that. You shouldn't worry though because this is in your distant future; how much you eat is dependant on how much muscle you already have and your metabolic rate. You don't have enough muscle yet to have a high metabolic rate, so you don't need to eat as many calories. I'd be surprised if you have to eat more than 2500-3000 to start gaining muscle.

6'1.5" and 145 lbs doesn't necessarily mean your an ectomorph. You may just not eat much, which will keep you thin regardless of your somatype.

It takes a long time for anyone to build a lot of muscle or, conversely, to lose a lot of fat. It takes hard work and consistency. If you're in this for the short haul, you're going into body transformation with the wrong idea.

Because changes are so gradual, you will be able to see a belly forming well in advance and be able to cut calories in order to stall or prevent it. (Also, it's extremely unlikely a true ectomorph would form a belly in the first place unless they were eating _really_ big.) You should recognize that there are two main pitfalls in the quest to gain muscle. The first is that you allow yourself to get too fat. The second is that you don't allow yourself to get fat. There's a happy medium between the two where you've put on fat but you aren't actually fat. You need to find and stay in this pleasantly plump range if you're trying to gain weight. Otherwise, if you never put on fat, you'll have hard time building any significant amount of muscle. If you put on too much fat, you may end up losing a lot of your muscle when you try to get rid of the fat again. A true ectomorph shouldn't be worried about fat gain as it doesn't come on very easily and goes off even easier.

:gl:

#19 chicanerous, May 26, 2006
  20. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I 2nd mastover's great reply: WE ARE IN YOUR CORNER, and YOU CAN DO IT. I promise!

I will throw out some very, very random thoughts and suggestions for you here. :)

FOOD:
    The following foods are ones I would suggest you eat often:

Oats / Steel-Cut Oats (daily)
    Lean Beef / Lean Ground Beef (daily or at least a few times per week)
    Eggs and Egg Whites (daily)
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Tuna
    Fish
    Milk
    Protein Powder (preferably a quality blended protein powder)
    Heavy Whipping Cream
    Peanut Butter
    Flax-Seed Oil
    Brown Rice
    Potatoes / Sweet Potatoes
    Peanuts / Almonds
    Various Fruits (Grapefruit / Pineapple / Apples / Oranges)
    Various Vegetables (more than 2 servings per day)

TRAINING
    MY preference is a low-volume and high-intensity style of training, though there are many routes you can take. I would at the least suggest you consider a few "major" exercises: deadlifts, squats, bent-over rows, stiff-leg deadlifts, walking lunges, bench press, dips, pullovers, pulldowns/chinups/pullups, straight-bar curls, close-grip bench press, military press, lateral raises...

We can get into your proposed training routine more if you'd like; here are some very random thoughts:

-Swap day 1 and day 2, because everyone will be doing chest on Monday and you'll have to wait around for equipment to be free (pain in the butt).

-DAY 1: Remove flyes, add dips, MAYBE add a pull-up or lat pulldown exercise, perhaps add some lower-back work in there too.

-DAY 2: Remove leg extensions or just do 1-2 sets before squats as a warmup, add stiff-leg deadlifts and reduce the sets of leg curls.

-DAY 4: Personally I would remove the dumbbell press (assuming you're talking about a military press here, for the delts) and add in some other variation of delt exercises (laterals, scarecrows, front raises, etc.), I'd also probably change alternate dumbbell curls to straight-bar curls, maybe add hammer curls, overall reduce volume of biceps (IMHO biceps don't usually need as much volume as triceps).

There are a few "pre-built" routines out there you may want to look into for ideas. Here are a couple that I really like:

Westside for Skinny Bastards: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

MAX-OT: http://www.ast-ss.com

REST:
    I cannot stress enough how important rest is. Try to not only get enough sleep, but try to make sure it is quality, restful sleep. You'll be growing during your time of rest/recovery so consider your rest time important!

Be sure to supply yourself with a quality meal before hitting the sack. I like to do several different things depending on my current goals (and mood, lol). Here are a few pre-bed meal ideas:

Quality protein blend powder or casein protein powder + natural peanut butter + water or milk

Cottage cheese + flax-seed oil (stir them up and it shouldn't taste bad at all)

Steak and eggs!

SUPPLEMENTS:
    Although supplements are not by any means a requirement, there are a few I would suggest:

Quality Multivitamin (I consider this essential)
    Vitamin C (I prefer to use more than the RDA)
    Quality Protein Powder (I like Nitrean, Muscle Provider, Ultra Size, Muscle Milk at times too)
    Flax-Seed Oil / Fish Oil
    Creatine/CEE (I would stick with monohydrate for now)
    BCAA (a cheap, bulk BCAA pre/during/postworkout) (www.bulknutrition.com)