1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What can replace whey or soy shakes/bars?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by bfl_redhead, Aug 26, 2005.

1. bfl_redhead

bfl_redhead Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

I've been following a body for life regime for over 9 weeks and doing very well. One of the biggest problems, is that I can't tolerate whey or soy (feel very sick after I drink it/eat it and get very bloated). I eat 6 meals a day and like to have 3 meals as a protein shake/bar of some sort. The bars are tolerated, but the shakes made with whey or soy are not.

Has anyone tried any other sorts that might work?

Yes I know too that I can eat regular food in place of the shakes, but they aren't as convenient. I don't eat dairy or wheat at all usually, so any other ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks, :cool:

redhead.

2. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

You want a replacement for shakes or protein bars, but not regular food suggestions? Not sure what options that leaves you... :confused:

3. kentnutrition

kentnutrition Well-Known Member

T-Bones?

Sorry, it's friday.

Does your whey have additional compounds to help aid in digestion? If not, I might know where you can find a product with something like that. (hint) ;)

4. bfl_redhead

Sorry, Karate, guess I wasn't very clear! :o I am merely looking for snack/small meal suggestions that don't have wheat or dairy or soy...regardless of whether they are 'real food' or shakes and bars...

and Kent....thanks..I'll look into that! :tu:

5. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Try egg protein supplement.

6. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Fish....any kind, pick one.....

canned tuna works in a pinch (extemely portable and easy to eat out of the tin) and will deliver ~30g of fat-free /carb free protein per 120g drained (~4 oz) tin.

Canned Salmon is a good choice for your higher fat days and includes some great EFA's

Cottage Cheese anytime of the day works well...

Those are some good complete protein choices.

7. bfl_redhead

Thank you!

Doordude, I will go looking for egg protein. Haven't seen it yet, but haven't tried all the specialty stores yet either...

Gordo, thanks! I do eat tuna, but should have more. The cottage cheese I'll skip 'cause it's dairy!

thanks again! :D