1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your goals?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by andi, Jan 23, 2004.

1. honu*girl

honu*girl Well-Known Member

Is this thread still going??

I've been here for a few weeks, but haven't "jumped" in yet!

There is a diverse group of us here and have debated about whether I "belong!" I am heavier than most - but I am encouraged by you all!

I started my own journey in August of last year with my husband (LiveWire on this board) I have lost 45 lbs since then. However I was at my highest (almost) at that time.

My goals -

Continue to use my eating plan and cardio to shed FAT! First - reach 50 lbs lost! Only 5 lbs away! Second - Be under 200 lbs!! Third - Reach goal of 100 lbs total lost! After that, we'll see where I continue on! I could lose an additional 18-38 lbs after that.

Add toning and strengthening exercises - mostly concerned with upper arms, upper chest, abs and butt. Have saggy skin issue too (like a previous poster said) mostly on arms.

Jetgirl and Christina: Thanks for your posts - you inspire me (not that the others don't but knowing you have done so well and started out over 200 is encouraging!)

Glad to be here :)

2. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I'm glad to be here for you honu*girl! Losing 45 lbs. is awesome! I know you know this, but just chip away one day at a time. You know what to do; now just keep at it. It takes a lot of patience. We're here for you on those tough days when you need encouragement... and to help cheer you on when you reach your goals. Be sure to let us know when you reach that 50 lb. mark!

Christina

3. shazz3j

shazz3j Well-Known Member

Wow!

This is my first post on the board and I would like to say that I am finding it to be a great help with regard to my fitness regieme

Like many of you I was extremely active as during High School (Softball, Calisthenics, Jazz Dance, plus the mandatory PE classes at school). Since leaving school I have always had a problem with my weight. I have since found out that I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and am insulin resistant (visit www.posaa.asn.au for more info on the subject. I believe there is also a site in the US).

Now that I know what my body is actually doing and with my partner providing me with some great reference material to read over the Christmas break I have decided that 2004 is the year that I tackle the condition head on and get on top of it.

As my father is diabetic and my mother has an overactive thyroid I need to get on top of this and stay on top of it.

I am turning 30 next week and would love to get back down to about 70 - 75kg. I am currently 121 kg so I have a considerable amount of weight to lose. I also have a skirt that I wore when I was at modelling school when I was 16 (Gee I sound like a hoarder) so if I can get back into that it would be awesome!

I have been referred to a dietician to help with the weight loss and her recommendations have been
    • less that 30grm of fat per day
    • 3 meals reduced in size from what I normally ate and 3 snacks a day
    • minimum of 3 hour exercise a week

So far I am sticking to this pretty well and am going to the gym (cardio and weights) and walking more than I used to. In the first week I lost 3kg so that was a pretty good start.

Well girls it has been great chatting with you all and thanks for taking the time to read this .

I wish you all the very best of luck with your goals and look forward to sharing the journey with you all. ;)

4. shris

shris Well-Known Member

Here goes.

Hi.

I'm 32, 5'3" tall, and 158lbs as of this morning. Hubby and I have been working out for a little over a month now. He found this site and was really inspired. I thought the total time it took for John to go from flabby IT guy to buff (his first phase, that is) was amazing. I am an IT geek too--not system admin, but project management and call center processes.

I use DietPower software to track my calories and exercise. I highly recommend it, since it tracks all the major vitamins and minerals as well as the macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein). It will even remind you to get more water. It can be a bit overreactive at first (it decides how many calories you ought to have based on how you've been doing and what your goals are), but it taught me a lot about food. I also use CalorieKing software on my Palm when I'm at restaurants, since it has calorie counts and macronutrient counts for a lot of fast food places, sit down restaurants, and ethnic foods. So I can see if I'm in the right range in my menu selections. CalorieKing also has a subscription web site with the same gigantic food database so you can log food from anywhere you've got a computer. They also have a library with all sorts of information on nutrition, exercise, and motivations. www.dietpower.com and www.calorieking.com are the two web sites. Not affiliated, just a user.

My first goal is to get to 140, since I haven't been that weight since high school. At that point I will reassess and figure out where next to go. At 5'3", I figure I've got 30-40 lbs to lose, but we'll see.

Second goal is to feel better about my fitness level. Already doing better on that.

Third goal is to get stronger so I'll be able to handle pregnancy. I've been in a sit down job for so long now it's not even funny. I've already noticed improvement in my ab strength--I do 100 mixed crunches every other day with my cardio. Now I can get my shoulders off the ground without having my toes underneath the couch.

I wouldn't mind getting down to a smaller bra size. I have recently discovered that I'm now sized out of regular stores--I have to mail order to get my right fit or else drive for miles to go to places like Fredericks to get stuff in the right cup size. Hopefully peeling off the weight will take some from the bust area as well.

When Hubby was working in auto racing, I was always conscious of the fact that I'm not a 'trophy wife' and I always wanted to be. I wanted him to be proud to show me off. I'm not beautiful in the classic sense, but if I could peel off the extra weight and get a little buff, I could get closer. Being surrounded by pit lizards (the drop-dead gorgeous girls who chase drivers) makes it hard to be less than perfect. Fortunately I don't have the constant reminders anymore, but it's still a sensitive point.

Anyway, most of my reasons for getting fitter and losing weight have to do with deep-seated emotions. Even people who know me would probably look at me funny to hear me explain some of my reasons, just because I don't mention them much. The older I get, the more I hear other people say things that I've felt all my life, so I suppose I'm not unique.

Anyway, I want to be less of a woman than I am today. Hopefully the new plan will get me closer to where I want to go. :flex:

shris
    :eat:

5. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

Wow, "pit lizards." :) You learn something new everyday. Are those like band groupies except they're after drivers?

6. shris

shris Well-Known Member

Exactly so, Freemason. There's a physical appearance that goes along with the role. It's a tall, thin, tan woman with long hair, typically blonde but not always. She's wearing 4" spike heels even in the unpaved pits of a dirt track. She wears extra short shorts and very skimpy tops, and she's often surgically altered in the frontal upper torso. She is remarkably beautiful. She has a tiny purse on a long spaghetti strap. Her makeup is noticeable and perfectly fresh every moment. She hangs around the pit area, which for non-enthusiasts is the place where the crews work on the cars between races, inside the circle of the track.

I'm not entirely sure where the lizard part comes in, though of course if she's been too tan too long her skin will resemble a lizard's.

I haven't met any pit lizards, but you can spot them easily when you're in the pits yourself. They are sometimes draped with a sash and crown and given the opportunity to kiss the driver for the photo-op in victory lane after he wins the race.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to *be* a pit lizard, but being non-tall, non-thin, and non-tan, it's hard not to look at oneself a little less approvingly after being confronted with this living image of feminine beauty time and time again. To have the body to wear Daisy Duke outfits would be a happy thing, I think, even though I would not wear them given a choice.

shris
    :eat:

7. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea. I can see how that could become disconcerting. Must be kind of funny to see them though. The whole four inch heels on a dirt track thing. . . You'd think they'd get all dirty standing around there too.

8. honu*girl

Hey shris - nice to meet you.

Great motivation and goals you have there! Just don't get too worked up comparing yourself to those "lizards" ! I'm sure your husband knows what a beautiful person you are and doesn't look twice at those vixens!

Anyway - good luck! I'm going to try those websites you mentioned. I've been doing fitday and not overally impressed with it.

:gl:

9. piel2000

piel2000 Well-Known Member

i feel really out of place (the biggest one) at the moment. i am now 179 (5 feet 2 inches) and trying to get down to 120. i was at 190 after i had my 3rd child. i have been struggling with my weight for years. i get down to 145 then up it goes due to pregnancies well i am solving this problem...NO MORE KIDS! my goal is to lose as much as possible but with a plan that i can stick with for the rest of my life. it is just so hard being a stay at home mom and trying to fit excersize in your schdule. but shall i say when i do get time my two year old makes a great bench press and leg lift.... :bb:

10. honu*girl

Sweetie - you aren't the biggest. I haven't posted my weight ;) I've lost 47 so far, but I'm still over 200 lbs. I wasn't sure about coming here, because I thought everyone was just trying to lose a few pounds, but there are some of us with more. Besides, the information and support here is great! My husband is on the board too and we love it. Alot of just weight loss boards don't come near the amount of information about muscle building etc. I could easily lose fat - but I want to get buff while I do it!

Welcome - and from your picture you don't look anywhere near 179! :d_tongue:

11. Bernee

Bernee Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I just discovered this website. I have been on the BFL program for six weeks now and my goal is to reduce my bodyfat to about 15% it is at about 19% now. I've had decent progress so far I started with a 27 inch waist and now it's 25.5 inches. I am 5'4 and 115 pounds and I want to increase muscle but want to lose fat as well. I heard that it cannot be done together so I am trying to lose reduce my first and then add some muscle. I have a fast metabolism so losing fat will not be a problem but it's really difficult for me to put on muscle. I am in my thirties and my metabolism still hasn't slowed down.
    I have six weeks to do this since I will be getting married in the Caribbean then.
    I've always been active, and have worked out since college, played sports, ran track etc. I just want a six pack and all my fat is on top (bust, waist and a little pouch belly, which I hate). Wish me luck. :d_smile:

12. Abby

Abby Well-Known Member

quite simply.... my goal is to feel comfortable in my own skin and in a bikini :) i also want to develop muscle tone

13. honu*girl

Well - I did it! I hit 50 lbs lost! (Took me over 6 weeks to lose 3 lbs - but really, since I gained 7 lbs at the end of March, I've lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks.)

I've been sticking to my plan perfectly for 3 weeks now, with 2 cheat meals. I upped my cardio to 60 minutes. I eat about 1400 calories a day. Lean Protein, Whole Grains (Oats, Brown Rice), Veggies and Low-sugar Fruits. 150 oz of water and Cardio 5-6 days a week. I only do 2 day a week body sculpting with light hand weights - but for now it seems to be working. I'm focused on fat burning right now!

14. princess_jemz

princess_jemz Well-Known Member

Hi, i just joined today i am from Scotland, 21, i used to be a gymaholic because of my passion for kickboxing, being caught up with university, 5 year old son and 2 jobs i haven't been much in the last year, term ends this week, i have till October to play in the Gym etc and i am looking for some advice on realistic goals? i am 5ft8in, 145lbs. Quite like trying out diets, like martial arts, cross trainer, treadmill that sort of thing any ideas?????

15. Swank_Hood_Rat

Swank_Hood_Rat Well-Known Member

I wanna get ripped, but not too bulky. I wanna look kinda like Madonna Grimes...very slim, but muscular and defined.

16. MandyFL

MandyFL Well-Known Member

Goals....

I too want to feel comfortable in my own skin. I am 5'2", 110 lbs. I have a very small frame and more body fat than I want. I am currently between 19 - 21% bodyfat. I would like to eventually get down to 15% or another number I would be able to maintain. I have been lurking on this site for quite a while, but everyone is so supportive and knowledgable. I hope to become part of your community. :d_biggrin

17. Aries

Aries Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone! I have quite a bit to lose :o . I'm 24 years old with an almost 9 month old baby and have not lost any of the weight that i gained through pregnancy, a woping 60 lbs. I'm only 5 feet tall and weight 195 lbs and i feel awful! I have a pretty muscular build (when i'm leaner) so i would like to be 130-135 (i look really thin at that weight). Right now I'm trying to start a steady exercise routine, I have Tae Bo videos and try to make it to the local gym (free one on military post). I'm trying my best to eat healthy but i feel hungry all the time! And my big problem is eating late at night :o . I eat breakfast in the morning, but i just always get so hungry at night!!! I'm very depressed about this excess weight i feel hideous :d_frown: !! Hopefully this site will keep me motivated and help me reach my goal.

P.S. Does anyone know any remedies or supplements that help curb appetite and give more energy? Thank you :D .

18. nicokim

nicokim Well-Known Member

Hi Girls,

I'm quite new to the board and it's very inspiring reading about all your stories and goal. All of you seems to be a very supportive to each others.

Introducing my self and my goal, well 42 year's of age, start January at 160 pounds for 5'6" and I'm actually at 130.5 pounds. I drop 29 pounds in about 6 months with time and patience and discipline. My goal is still be lean with muscle tone and being able to see my abs all times if not, well try to keep a flat stomach and keep going for building a new me and be able at 75 year's of age able to said: I'm in great shape for my ages :D I'm trying to build for my futur's for better living.

19. itbeachgurl

itbeachgurl Well-Known Member

Aries don't get to frustrated, I was in the same situation a few years ago. And I have lost most of my weight in the last 6 months from both my boys. Try to snack throughout the day on health foods when ever you feed your baby and talk to your doctor but I continued to take prenatal vitamins for at least a year after I had mine and now I take a multi-vitamin, I can tell if I skip a dose. Good Luck :gl:

20. paolo12345678910

paolo12345678910 Well-Known Member

My goal [​IMG]

I don't want to be super ripped or have BULGING abs, Brad is my ideal body type, ripped but still possessing a soft body for aniston to cuddle with, not a stiff rock. I'm getting there, after only 1 month of freeweights and a weekly routine of moderate jogging with some intervals, I've never looked better in my life. My arms are still a little small and my abs aren't popping out yet :p BUT I can see noticeable progress. My initial goal was to lower my RHR to 60 and below but I think that will be an inherent extra advantage via my workout routine.

:o :o :o FEMALE FORUM :o :o :o : :whistle:

#60 paolo12345678910, Jul 7, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2004