1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your goals?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by andi, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

My goal is to lower my body fat to about 15% by this summer (I have a ways to go as I need to lose about 30 lbs) Then I want to work onmy muscle definition. I am off to a good start and wish all you ladies luck!

2. loose to gain

loose to gain Well-Known Member

Hello ladies,
    This is my first post on this site. I've been coming here for a couple of days trying to find enough inspiration to get started on a good diet and exercising more. Seeing Black Beauty's before and after photos were just what I needed. Beauty, you look so good in your after picture I can't believe that you need to loose any extra lbs.

I'm 45 so I won't expect such dramatic results but am looking forward to increased energy and being able to fit clothes better. I'm 5'6, 136 lbs. and need to loose 15-20 fat lbs and want to gain 5-10 lbs. in muscle. I also want to greatly increase my aerobic endurance.

AndiMAC, I like your plan of taking things one step at a time. At the health level that I am at now (mostly recovered from fibromyalgia) I need to be careful to not overdo so I can keep making gains.

3. mariah

mariah Well-Known Member

Hello girls!

My name is Mariah, I'm 22, 163 cm, 138lbs. My goal is to get more muscles, less fat and get in a good shape. I'm into orientering and need the muscles and the condition.
    My english isn't the best but I hope you understand what I mean.

4. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Your English sounds great Mariah! Considering most of us don't speak Swedish you're miles ahead!! Welcome to the forums and good luck in your goals! This is a great place to learn and get motivated.
    :tu:

5. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

Hi there,

My name is Bethany, and I'm 5'4" 128 pounds. According to the scale in the bathroom which also does a body fat % measurement (not sure how accurate it is), my body fat % is 27%.

My goal is to get my body fat % down to about 12%, which I think will take me to about 115 pounds if I add 5-10 pounds of muscle. Just like everyone else I'm not looking to get extremely bulky, but I definitely want some visible muscle. I would also like to lower my resting pulse rate which is now around 75-80.

I have an extremely high metabolism, but I am completely and utterly sedentary. My job is rather stressful, and I am constantly busy at work, so when I come home, I just sit around and relax. I think that if I get into great shape, I'll have *much* more energy, discipline, and focus. To me, those mental things are the big motivators because I'm relatively happy with the way I look right now.

My husband started a fitness program a few weeks ago after finding this site on FARK. He's been so dedicated to his new program that it has really inspired me.

Nice to meet all of you. Seeing so many posts in the women's section is really encouraging.

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Okay, time for my goals

I've never been all that good at goals.

I was about 145 pounds in high school, which is a bit more than what I would like to have been. With four years of university, I added ten pounds, then got pregnant. Two years after the baby was born, i was back to high school weight. I attribute this to drinking lots of MILK, and cutting out all the pop I drank in university.

A few years later, another baby, then back again to point A.

This September, I was having family problems and lost some weight due to stress. I don't have a scale, but I'm about 125 pounds now, I think. Lighter than I've been since I was fifteen! :spaz: I like my new weight, so I'm changing my diet and exercise in order to maintain it. So I'm sort of going backwards, but it works for me.

I gain muscle really easily. People used to ask me all the time if I work out, so I thought I'd see what happened if I actually do! :flex:

I try to go to a fitness class four times a week; once is muscle endurance class and one is a step class. I also try to fit in 15 to 25 minutes on my exercise bike before I go to class some days. On Saturday or Sunday, I work arms, legs, abs, etc. with dumbbells or a resistance band after doing the biking. I'd like to do more strength training, but I don't know where to fit it in. I don't enjoy the aerobics classes all that much, and in my area, there are no alternative instructors, so when it gets warmer, I'll probably swap two of the classes for walking and weight training. Soon, I'll be getting a stability ball, so I'll have some fun figuring out what to do with it!

I hate anything high intensity, so I have to work longer than other people to get the same results, but I'm satisfied with that. I've been going to class for more than a year and just recently started working hard enough to break a sweat. :rolleyes:

7. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the Linda Hamilton look!

I am 5'7 131 pounds and I am looking to bulk a little bit. I have always wanted the classic Linda Hamilton arms and maybe with some time and energy I can get somewhere near that. I have several goals, many like the rest of the ladies. I want to maintain a good diet and continue to workout on a regular basis. I too want to incorporate yoga and pilates into my workout and maybe even a high impact dance aerobics class.

I was very active in highschool and college and now find myself suffering from old sports injuries as well as those I gained from a bad car accident 2 years ago. My big goal is to start running races again and eventually work my way up to a marathon, but I have injured my knee so badly in the past I am unsure that is even a goal I could reach.

Another reason I am trying to stay on track with the workout regiment is because I am undergoing a lot of tests for a hormone imbalance. I think that working out has greatly helped with the depression, anxiety and general laziness. It forces me to get my butt off the couch! Good luck to all of you with your goals! :claplow:

8. Sharky

Sharky Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa :) I have the same height as you have but 8 years younger. :o Your weight is 109lbs which is incredible for your age! I believe the ideal weight for our height is 115-120lbs, correct? Good luck on your toning up your muscles! :tucool:

My goal is to cut my weight down to 115lbs from 125lbs along with the Elliptical cardio daily and mild weight training in the first 3 months with the ratio of Pro30%/Carbs50%/Fat20% and when I get there after three months like Lisa, I strictly will be toning up my muscles and maintain my weight with the same ratio (or should I change to 40%/40%/20% if you want to tone up and definite some muscles, I don't want to look like John's current physical appearance :eek: ) ;)

I haven't started my fitness yet as I am still working on to do some research like crazy to change the healthier eating habits. :spaz: Making a food plan (that's the key) is the hardest part of the program... but weight/cardio training is not that hard to do.

Cheerois :tucool:

9. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

Hi Sharky, welcome to the board! :) I don't know how incredible my weight is , as I'm an ectomorph and have always had a hard time keeping any weight on. You are probably right in weight range for our height, but I've never paid much attention to charts like that, because they always seemed on the high side to me. I haven't looked at one in ages, so they have probably been revised a dozen times over since I actually read one:)
    I do 40/40/20, and that seems to be a good balance for me- I've just recently increased my calcium intake because of the amount of protein though.
    I have a terrible flu right now, so I haven't worked out, but I'll be back to it soon.

Good luck with your goals! You'll find tons of inspiration here and lots of very knowledgable people :)

10. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I'm also 5"6" and 30 years old (as of next week). But my goal is 135 lbs. Today I'm 147 lbs. It all depends on body structure. I probably have a denser build than the two of you. I posted my photos a couple of weeks ago (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=1156). I'm sure you have a good sense of what a healthy weight is for you, and Lisa has a sense of what is good for her. Isn't it amazing how different we all are, even for people of the same height? If I was 109, I would waste away. In fact, according to a recent body comp. I had, I have 111 lbs. of lean mass. Interesting, isn't it?

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Wow, I had a look at your photos today, and you're right. That's a perfect example of the difference between large and small frame. You look fabulous at 150 pounds and many people would not.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle there. I'm aiming for 123, but I'm only 5'4.5". Maybe I'll post photos if I can find any decent "before" shots.

12. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

Another 5'6' gal here too! I am currently about 143lbs and am looking to get down to about 135 as well. When I first got married 16yrs ago I was about 125 or so, and I looked ghastly. I was all skin and bones...not a pretty site. I definitely have a larger, more solid frame. I've learned too not to compare my weight with other ladies too (not that you are doing that ;) ) I mean...we are all so different....body structure, bone mass etc. I compare myself to myself - where I was, where I am and where I want to be. That is really what is important. My sister in law and I are the same height too but I weigh 25lbs more than she does and wear a smaller size..go figure! To be honest, I don't even care what I weigh. I just want to feel and look amazing no matter what size that happens to be. If it is 135lbs terrific, if it is 120 great...when my muscles are tone and strong and I am feeling great, that's the size I want to be! :tucool:

I too posted my pix a while back. You can take a look if you want. I was 166lbs size 12/13 and now I'm a size 7/8 ALMOST comfortable in a size 5! YIPEE!

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=1123

Stay strong,
    Danielle

#32 Danielle, Feb 27, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  13. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Danielle, you look great.

Yep, everybody's different. I'm starting to think that maybe I might look worse if I lose more weight. Especially taking into account that muscle weighs more than fat, and I have more muscle now than I did before.

But I'm not restricting my calories, I'm letting my body do what it wants to do, and hopefully it's smart enough to get me to the right place for me. :tu:

14. altistitar

altistitar Well-Known Member

I don't really need to lose weight (170cm/63kg), but there is a lot of fat in me that I want to get rid of or turn into muscle. I want to finally be able to like my body, and not be ashamed in a swimming suit. I'm dreaming of a six pack but that won't happen in a long time, if ever :)
    Also, my shoulders and back are in really bad shape, and will get even worse if I don't do something - playing the viola for many hours a day isn't good for them. I can't wait to try out the gym program I got done for me yesterday! :db:
    Last but definitely not least, I just want to be healthier and feel better. After two weeks I'm already noticing the difference, and I have stopped being such a slob that I was before. This feeling will sure keep me motivated! :jumping: Besides this site, of course... :)
    Good luck for everyone with their goals!

15. JetGirl

JetGirl Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm 23 years old, 5'10" and I used to weigh 330lbs. Currently I weigh in at 176lbs. My goal weight is 174ish. I don't want to go down below 170lbs (I'm a large frame).

I've already managed to lose about 150lbs (since May 2002). At the moment, I'm very close to my ideal weight (those last few pounds are tough). Unfortunately since I lost the weight fast and since it was so much I have a lot of loose skin. My biggest goal is to get rid of that loose skin through continued healthy eating, working out, etc.
    Also, just being able to maintain that weight and not go back to the overweight person I was is a major goal for me.

:bb:

16. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Have you posted photos? I'd love to see them. You guys who have lost so much weight really amaze me. :bow:

17. jabberoque

jabberoque Well-Known Member

new to forum

I'm new to the boards and have been eating healthy - roughly the Zone diet - since January 1st. I'm now to the point where I'm the "size" I want and where eating healthy is easy and habitual. I now want to concentrate on adding exercise, i.e. I want to build some muscle and generally increase my strength, flexibility, and posture.

I've seen great advice and comments thus far. I'm looking forward to sharing everyone's progress.

18. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

I really dont have any weight loss I would like to achieve. I would like to lower by bf%(gotta find out where it is though) and replace that weight with muscle, and up my endurance enough to join track.

19. andi

andi Well-Known Member

I guess it doesn't really matter, Fudgam, but this question was posed to the women on the boards :D

20. JennyLynn

JennyLynn Well-Known Member

Hi! I'm new here. My first visit to John's site was a couple of months ago- must have been not long before these forums went up. I found the site to be extremely motivating and came back yesterday for a refill. :) I was super excited to find these forums because I'm sure they will help motivate me even more.
    I am 24 years old, 5'5" and about 143. I'm not exactly sure on the weight since I gave up my scale for Lent. :o I was becoming obsessed with it. My highest weight was 156, which I reached in college. Once I left school (2 years ago) 10lbs dropped off pretty fast. Since then it has been a struggle and I haven't had much success yet.
    My main goal is to lower my body fat percentage- I have a Tanita scale that measures body fat. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but I'll use it to track progress for now. I carry a lot of my fat in my stomach, and I have heard there are health problems related to this. Since I can't spot reduce, I will work to lower all of my body fat. I would love to get down to 125-130lbs. I have no specific number in mind. I just want to look good and feel good. :nod: