1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your goals?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by andi, Jan 23, 2004.

1. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll start. Like I emailed John when I first discovered his site, I have no desire to "get ripped" or "bulk up". I'm 30 years old, married 5 years, and my husband introduced me to the joys of computer games and beer on lazy Sunday afternoons. Couple that with a more sedentary lifestyle/job, age slowing my metabolism, and a terrible diet, I have a lot of work to do to change my habits.

My goals are to get leaner (currently 5'8" and 169) and stronger. I want muscles, but not like John's :D I want to look good in those daily progress photos I'm taking!

I have a goal of April 1- the day I set foot on a plane for a 3 week vacation in Europe.

So how 'bout you, ladies? What are your goals and why are you here?

2. workoutgrrl

workoutgrrl Well-Known Member

Hi Andi-

I just want to be healthier, overall. I used to run cross country in high school, but stopped in college. Now I've been out a couple of years (I'm 23), and probably couldn't run 2 miles. Yuk! I look ok physically, I think (I'm 5'1"/110), but I think I'm pretty unhealthy. I don't exercize, and I sit in front of a computer all day long.

I saw John's site and decided to get serious about being in shape. I don't want muscles like John's either ;-) but I do want to have more muscle tone and definition.

Currently, I'm doing research. I've started tracking everything I eat every day and discovered that the reason I'm able to maintain such a good weight is that I don't eat nearly enough calories. I'm not sure (I'm still looking for a good calculator -- any suggestions), but I think I should be getting about 1400-1600 calories a day (particularly if I want to be more active.) Without adjusting anything that I eat, I've discovered that I'm only eating about 1000-1100 calories a day! Way too low. But I don't experience hunger at that level.

I'm investigating my options for working out. I'm thinking about incorporating a great deal of yoga (for stress relief) into my workout, which I know John isn't doing. Ia lot of cardio, but I haven't decided what level of weight training I'm going to take on. So still doing research... I plan to see a personal trainer before I start, as well as my doctor.

What are your workout plans, anyone?

3. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

Right now my main goal is to get back on track eating correctly. :eat:
    Its been pretty crappy since right before the holidays. My goal is to get back to what I was doing of eating 5 times a day 1 protein, 1 carb (not really breads but like carb veggies) more soy milk instead of regular (oh god how I love milk) and more wheat breads and such as opposed to white. Once I get back on track with that I'll concentrate on working out as well. One baby step at a time... :db: hehehehe

4. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

My goal is to tone up and build some muscle. I really just want to be healthier and I don't want to lose any weight. I definitely want my muscles more defined. :bb:
    I'm 38, 5'6" and about 109 lbs. I want to stay the same size.... just better LOL

5. Ansett

Ansett Well-Known Member

Hello ladies,
    My goals are fairly lofty, but hopefully attainable. I hope to lose 50 lbs of fat while gaining as much muscle as possible. Think Linda Hamilton in T2 or, better yet, Gabrielle on Zena. I think visible muscles on women are sexy - I know many women don't though.
    I'm 34, 185 lb, 5' 6" so you know I have way too much junk in my trunk. I was skinny my whole childhood and very athletic. With softball pitching forever, throwing discus and shotput, and playing marching baritone in junior high and high school I had a very muscular upper body (slender legs, what can I say). I weighed a lean 144 lbs when I went to college, but it's slowly gone down hill from there. I'd love to get back to that. I've tried numerous diets over the years, but it's the same old story.
    My biggest problem is my diet (and my ass :rolleyes: ). I know to lose weight I need to eat only about 1600 calories, but I have a hard time picturing what that looks like or planning out how to do that. I have no patience for trying to count up every little calorie. What I need is just a diet plan I can blindly follow which contains the right number of calories in the right proportions. (Boy, if that's not asking a lot...) Anyone know of any such thing out there that doesn't contain a lot of complicated recipes?
    I've planned out an exercise schedule for myself that is basically John's. Will it work the same way for women? Maybe you guys could tell me what you think?
    Monday - treadmill 30-45 min.
    Tuesday - treadmill 15-20 min. weights: back and biceps
    Wednesday - treadmill 30-45 min. Abs.
    Thursday - treadmill 15-20 min. weights: quads, calves, hamstrings
    Friday - treadmill 30-45 min.
    Saturday - treadmill 15-20 min. weights: pecs, delts, triceps
    Sunday - treadmill 30-45 min. Abs.
    1600 cal/day (somehow figuring out how to do that)
    water 1 gallon/day
    Will this get me where I want to go?

6. xray

xray Well-Known Member

My goals and plans and maybe how to get there

Hello girls!! Wonderful to have a forum fitted for us! :claplow:

Please excuse my long mail, as well as my poor grammar, English not being my first language. :)

I am a 34 year old Norwegian, 5'6'' (? 168 cm) and weighs 176 pounds well distributed all over. With my heavy bone structure, I think it would be good and wise to get down to about 140 pounds.

I'd love to have a toned body, with some muscle showing - though only for the healthy look, and not for the "bigness". I think to some extent, showing muscles on women are beautiful.

I am now on a diet somehow similar to the weightwatchers - not quite the same - so I believe I get the support I need on the diet (or do I?).

I have had a neck problem for some months (start of November), that causing me loosing all appetite, throwing up etc for two weeks because of the pain. Of course I lost some weight, but it came more than twise on when I started eating normally again. Also the neck problem has been the reason why I have not been able to start exercising. Only the past two weeks have I taken my first walks. Getting better - but slowly - I don't find that as a problem, since I'm going to reach my goal no matter how long time it takes! I do look forward to some hard work out sessions, lift weights and so on, though!

I don't know if any of you think the same as me, that I don't want to spend most of my spare time exercising? Working shifts take quite a bit of my time, and often I work when my friends are off. I really do not want to go to the gym more than two-three times a week, and then be "active" (walking, sking, etc.) with friends. What do you think, is it way to little compared to your goals?

I am dreaming of becoming like those who just "have" to have a power walk or bike ride during the day to feel good... Any hints on how to get there?

Here in Norway we have quite different food from you in the States - as well as the other nationalities that are here in these forums. I actually always bake my own bread, because it is more tastier and healthier and contains qiute a bit of more fiber than regular bread bought in the store. I try to keep within 1400 calories a day, but if I - or any of you - work out particularly hard one day or over a period, it is wise to increase the calorie intake. (For instance if you go on one week of skiing in the Alps, as I am in March, or cross country skiing over many hours.) And the heavier you are starting out on the diet, the more calories you actually need in the beginning to be able to loose weight.

Ansett, a tip for you. Take one day and weigh up some of the food that you regularly eat. I should have 230 calories for breakfast, and usually eat bread.
    Weigh up the bread (130 calories) and add some lean meat, cheese, or jam you like on (weighed and count the calories first time). If you use a slice of meat, it is very easy every time you choose that. You know how much you are eating, and what you get. I also put some salad leaves on together with red peppers, or cucumber. Gives me more to chew, more to fill up, and it looks delicate and very healthy! Have about the same for lunch - may be a different kind of meat or cheese - and you have that meal delt with as well. For supper I have 1/4 of potatoes, pasta or rice, 1/4 of meat or fish and 1/2 of vegetables, raw or cooked. Two fruits inbetween, a yoghurt (low fat) or glass of milk, some carrots or other raw vegetable, and there you have my day. THAT part doesn't have to be difficult, it's the steering away from what NOT to eat that get's to me...

I have a question about powders and suppliments and such. How necessary are they, and what do they really do?? I prefer to eat regular food, and am not in the situation that I need more calories than that food can give. besides, I am a bit sceptic, since I'm not familiar with any kind of powder.

Xray :tu:

7. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

I agree- I like the Linda Hamilton look, as well. That is close to what I want- just ever so slightly less muscle, perhaps.

8. rainking

rainking Well-Known Member

Hi ladies, can I jump on board here? I'm a Canadian chicky, yet currently living overseas in South Korea. I stumbled upon this website by accident, and was so motivated by what I saw. Wow, I hope I can do this.

First of all, I was once over 200 pounds, but I am now 154. I did weight 140 this past summer, but gained that back as I got married, and went travelling for five months and didn't exercise or think twice about what I ate. I was a glutton. And, I lived to regret it.

I've been working out since October again, but haven't been able to lose any weight. I eat 40/40/20 ratios protein/carbs/fat and exercise about 5 times a week - 3 times a week cardio and weights, the other 2 days just cardio. I allow myself one freeday whenever I really need it - say if the hubby wants to order pizza or something. And I really like wine.

So, anyhow - my goal is to get down to 135 by summer time thereabouts. Or just to look good in a bikini. I also want to run 5 km without walking, and do more pushups than my husband (i'm so competitive)...

Its great to meet you all, and I hope that we can motivate and support each other seeing as we have such a great place to do it!!!

Heather

9. ginger86

ginger86 Well-Known Member

Hi girls! Hope you don't mind if I join in your little group. I must me the senior member here, I'm 46 and weight 172 and am 5'4". I'm hoping to get down to about 125 - 130 and gain some definition. I joined a gym 1 week ago and have gone everyday and today I'm getting my husband to join also. I do a variation of a low carb diet, not atkins or south beach, I'm just eating all whole foods and good carbs, nothing processed or prepackaged. I know I'm a late starter in this healthy lifestyle game but I decided I wasn't going to be intimidated at the gym because at least I was there and I'm doing something about my health.

Wishing everyone great progess and looking forward to seeing great results and encouraging each other.

10. dubster

dubster Well-Known Member

So here's my story:
    I have been overweight basically all my life(I'm 24 now). When I hit puberty, I never lost that baby fat that you usually do, and my weight has increased slowly and steadily since then. I've never been a binge eater, or anything like that, and have frankly always been confused as to why I am this way. Different doctors have suggested different reasons, but none have ever suggested any real solutions.

While I have always wanted to be thinner, I never really took any initiative until about 8 months ago. Before then I was fairly active, played baseball all my life, rode bikes, went for hikes and stuff, but all sporadically. While working in Germany as a nanny, I decided to start going to the gym, and I really enjoyed it.

Now I am back home in Canada, and have been working out here for 3 months. I have had some success, lossing 15lbs and gaining a lot of muscle strength, but I want to step things up.

Currently I am 286lbs, and 5"9'. Obviously, I have a lot of weight to lose. It had never occured to me that there would be people documenting similar experiences on the web. I love it,it's very inspiring.

Up until now I have not changed my diet at all, but I recently did some research, and I am not eating enought calories in a day, and what I am eating is not the right proportions of fat/carbs/protein.
    So my plan is this:
    -keep working out 4-5 days a week with weight training and 20min cardio
    -Start using protein shakes before and after my workouts, taking calcium and vit C everyday
    -keep a proper log of weight, body measurements, and food

Any suggestions to help me along would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks

11. workoutgrrl

workoutgrrl Well-Known Member

I have to jump in an say, Linda Hamilton in T2 is Hot! I wouldn't mind that look myself, although my significant other isn't into it so much.... tough question: do you build muscle to the point that you prefer you look, or to that your significant other prefers?

12. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

Dubster, you want to make sure when you do your weight training, keep the weights lighter and do faster reps. If you use heavier weights at slower reps you are going to bulk up and then you wont look like you are making any progress. Make sure to do your cardio first to warm up the muscles for your weight training.... :gl:

13. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

I was doing heavy weights (maximum) and I never bulked up. I have heard that before, but I have also heard it's a myth and that women are very hard-pressed to be able to bulk at all.

I found it to be true for me, but I don't really know if it's like that for all women.

14. theGig

theGig Well-Known Member

theGig

Hello Ladies,
    I've been reading your post.You all sound determined and encourageing.
    I'll take over as your oldest member. I'm 55- 5'3- and weigh 188 lbs, the most Ive ever weighed! :mad: even counting carrying my 2 childern.(all grown now).This site is exactly what I need. I'm starting today, right after I post this.You and John have inspired me(yes my spelling's Bad). I know I need to eat healthier meals, and develope muscel to help burn off this fat.I even have the weights, I just needed to start, and to be accountable to someone. SO HEAR I GO. THANKS FOR THE PUSH!

15. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Well-Known Member

Disregard the BMI - it is only a guide....according to it, I'm on the lower border of overweight and have already lost 92lbs/48kgs just to get here! Most ppl that know me in person tell me not to lose any more weight!!

My goal back in 2001 was to lose about 20kg but I have managed to lose 48kg so far. My goal now in 2004 is to continue training to be a kickboxer, increasing lean muscle mass and decreasing my levels of body fat.

16. theGig

theGig Well-Known Member

Bread over Chocolate or Soda

Hello Ladies
    My cravings are for BREADS. XRAY any chance you'ld put your receipe for that high fiber bread on the receipe thread? Then it would at least be good for me. I did have to cut down on my tea. When it was cold I'ld keep a hot mug by my side all day. I found it easier to go to water then to decaf.; the decaf. tea just reminded me of I was missing. I've done 3 days in a row excersising; but I'm still working out a meal plan. My husband sells fire wood that he cuts , spilts and loads by hand. Get the picture? He does not watch what he eats or need to work out, makes it a little harder (but worth it ) to make 2 meals and ignore his sweets . Also,I hate to but I need to take a before picture. :o

17. xray

xray Well-Known Member

I'll see what I can do. I have made my own bread for many years, with periods of bakery bread while working and studying abroad. The thing is that I always just "throw in" a little bit of this and a little bit of that... But next time, I'll try to measure up whatever I put in. Another thing is that I might not know the spesific names in English for the flour I use. And finally, if you are from the States, I know from own experience, that your flour is different than ours here in Norway, and that can create "problems" in the kitchen. But if you are patient, I'll try to work out a receipe. :nod:

A question added: I always use sunflower seeds and flax seeds in my bread. Maybe you strict weightlifters and work out guys/girls prefere to not eat that? I mean, sunflower seeds have quite a bit of fat in them... (Should I stop having that in my bread??)

18. Teg4e

Teg4e Well-Known Member

Why are you trying to cut down on tea? I don't think there are any calories, and the caffeine in it will actually aid in fat loss. I'm all for coffee and tea for fat-burning.

19. theGig

theGig Well-Known Member

I'm trying to be healthier by cutting down to "around " 2 cups of tea (with milk) a day, and adding at least 2 qts. water in it's place. I have 40lbs. to lose.

20. theGig

theGig Well-Known Member

Flax seed (oil) has omega-3-6 and-9 fats which boost your body's metabolic rate,and also helps unlock stored body fat so it can be burned for energy. I don't know what kind of fat sunflowers are but their fiber make up for it.I would say keep them all in your receipe! :tucool: