1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mustbesix, Apr 27, 2007.

1. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I'm trying to get a 3-day a week split figured out. I don't really know what I'm doing so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I've come up with so far. I'm sure I've missed something, so please give me as much feedback as you can.

Monday:
    Back: deadlift, Straight leg deadlift, one arm dumbbell rows
    Triceps: triceps extensions, dips, close grip bench presses

Wednesday:
    Chest: incline, decline, flat bench, flat flies
    Biceps & Forearms: barbell curls, reverse barbell curls, hammer curls, reverse plate curls.

Friday:
    Legs: squat, seated leg curls, lying leg curls, barbell lunges, calf raises
    Shoulders & Traps: shrugs, upright rows, lat raises, Rocky presses, reverse flies

2. George

George Senior Member

Well, the straight leg (stiff legged?) deadlift is more of a leg day exercise as it primarily hits the hamstrings.
    What are rocky presses?

3. SpiderKing

SpiderKing Well-Known Member

I'd move the deadlifts to leg day, and switch it with the shrugs, which I'd put on back day. I've met a lot of people who like a day exclusively for legs, so devoting most of one day to that shouldn't be an issue.

4. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

5. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I've always heard that doing deadlifts and squats on the same day might not be the best idea because both exercises take so much out of you. I'm already kind of worried about leg day. I think I have a much harder workout than the other days, and I don't know if switching deadlifts for the shrugs will just make leg day that much more brutal. If you think it won't make much of difference though, I will look into switching the two.

6. George

George Senior Member

Ah, I had always heard of them referred to as Bradford presses. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Now that I look at it, I notice that you're missing a vertical pull movement such as chins or pull-downs. I would throw one of those in on back day.

Do you know what kind of set/rep range you'll be using?

7. George

George Senior Member

The thought behind this is that you're usually referring to conventional deadlifts and back squats. Those two together are often too much but what a lot of people on these boards tend do is replace one of the two with an exercise variation such as romanian deadlifts or front squats.

Personally, as I've mentioned before, I feel that it would be a good idea to move the straight leg deads to your leg day. Use them in place of one of the two leg curl exercises.

8. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Monday:
    Back: deadlift, lat pulldowns, one arm dumbbell rows
    Triceps: triceps extensions, dips, close grip bench presses

Wednesday:
    Chest: incline, decline, flat bench, flat flies
    Biceps & Forearms: barbell curls, reverse barbell curls, hammer curls, reverse plate curls.

Friday:
    Legs: squat, seated leg curls, straight leg deadlift, barbell lunges, calf raises
    Shoulders & Traps: shrugs, upright rows, lat raises, Rocky presses, reverse flies

Alright I made some changes based on the suggestions so far. I'm going to be working out at my work's gym and I'm not sure if they have any cable machines so I might have to take away the lat pulldowns if they don't have the machine. My gym has a load of cardio stuff, but their weight selection is not the best. As far as rep range I was planning to go with a 3X10, with the last going to failure while adjusting weight in an effort to keep the last rep in the 6-9 range. Don't know much about that either so if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it.

9. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

*bump

just wondering if anyone has any other thoughts. I started it on Monday, and I just want to get as much input as possible so I can make sure I'm on the right track.

10. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'd make some minor changes:

Monday:

Back: deadlift, lat pulldowns, one arm dumbbell rows, shrugs, reverse flies
    Triceps: close grip bench presses, triceps extensions

Wednesday:

Chest: incline, flat bench, dips, flat flyes
    Biceps: barbell curls, hammer curls, reverse plate curls

Friday:

Legs: squat, seated leg curls, straight leg deadlift, barbell lunges, calf raises
    Shoulders: dumbbell overhead presses, lat raises, Rocky presses

#10 chicanerous, May 2, 2007
    Last edited: May 2, 2007