1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Westside for Skinny Bastards, Part III

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by 1FastGTX, Sep 14, 2007.

1. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Joe DeFranco just posted his final chapter in the WS4SB trilogy this morning.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

A couple quotes from the article are below, but visit the link (above) for the full article and program.

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I suppose if I took a bath I could be a washed up meathead.

3. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Bookmarked and it will be read later. Thanks.:tucool:

4. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I'm giddy with excitement.:jumping:

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Update: EliteFTS.com has a really nice PDF version of WS4SB III. It looks (so far, I've only skimmed it) the same as the version on DeFranco's site, but the format is much nicer (especially if you'd like to print it all out).

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf

6. Nowhereman

Visually it does look a lot cooler. I also did a PDF version. I just copy pasted the information that pertained to me. Warm-ups, Exercises, Meathead template stuff like that. I also made sure I put by Defranco just in case it gets loose.

As far as the squats go. The one that says free squat...is it supposed to be that low? Or is a regular parallel to the floor squat alright?

7. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I did something similar, but in notepad. :o :)

When you say "that low" what do you mean? Did you see someone doing a really deep squat in his PDF or on his site? Or, are you just generally asking how low it's supposed to be?

I'm not sure what he would recommend, but I prefer not going A2G on Max-Effort squats. I do like squatting low sometimes though, and tend to get good results putting them on a different day. So sometimes I'll do a Max-Effort day as normal (squat or deadlift, various styles and bars, 1-3 sets of 1-5 reps; sets/reps all depend on a number of things). Then on a 2nd leg day during the week, for the 1st exercise I'll do A2G squats, 3-4 sets of 15-20 reps. Of course, the weight is much lower on these days. :)

8. Nowhereman

If you click on the original website he has a video of a female athlete going down pretty low.

So you pretty much play with it and make it your own?

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't do much deep squatting, but when I do, it's not usually heavy, and like FastGTX it's a good idea for it to be on the secondary leg day.

10. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh yeah, I've seen that video. That's one of his best videos on YouTube; she's awesome! :tucool: Additionally, "Super Strength" is a great DVD packed full of instructional videos. It is very helpful.

Yes, I think playing with things, making them your own, tweaking to your needs, is not only a good idea but at some point it becomes essential.

It seems to work best for me. I don't always do the deep, lighter weight, higher rep squats on the 2nd lower-body day (maybe 50-75% of the time, I guess); sometimes I'll opt for some single-leg work. Ever done any of that? :D

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Single-leg...single-leg...hmmm. That gives me an idea!

It also brings up an interesting point, which is that the single leg squats are slightly safer for the knee than the two leg squats of equivalent force on the leg because there are no additional side forces which can take the knee out of track. It's pretty easy to see some side forces on your knee in a two leg squat - usually on your heavier overhead squats you can even see the knee move in or out during the lift. But even with just heavy back squats - any force you feel in the adductors or abductors corresponds to a side force which is transmitted through the knee, usually both knees.

In the single leg lifts, if there is any real serious side force, you fall over. So when you work with loads that you can rep, you usually end up with the knee tracking more freely.

But as far as depth goes, the single leg squats are not really much different than the two leg squats of equivalent force on the leg.

12. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The single leg squats suck (because they're hard, haha), but I've thrown them in a time or two. I really like step-ups lately for some reason, and tonight we did Bulgarians with the front foot up on a platform. It took a little bit to get used to that one, and the platform was only a couple inches high. :o

We've been handling unilateral leg work a little differently the last month or so. Basically we alternate back and forth. Let's say it's lunges. Well I'll do my reps with the left leg, then Becky does her reps with her left leg immediately after, and I'll do the right leg immediately after, etc. No rest except for when the other person is going. It's not better, but it's different, which is sometimes good.

I wouldn't mind trying the jump training recommended in WS4SB3 but we don't have the boxes for that. I guess I could stack some squat boxes on top of one another but that doesn't sound too safe!

13. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I've always used single leg work (hack squats, uni-leg presses, Bulgarians, lunges) near the tail end of contest prep for the stretch reflex and concentrated isometric qualities, which have been very helful with added seperation in the quads and hams. Occasionally I do like going heavy with Bulgarians and single leg presses.

I won't start any debates with the "how-low-should-you-go-on-squats" discussion regarding the knees, but I like going below parallel. Parallel never did much. The one thing I've noticed with knee health, is if you do go below 90 degrees don't bounce at the bottom. Here is where I've seen the most knee injuries. Particualrly with pause squats where trainee's have a tendency to kick start the ascension with a bounce. If you are a "bouncer", especially with moderate to heavy weights, over the years you will develop the knee probs.

This is strictly my opinion, though. And from what I've been taught at the most elite training skool located somewhere in the boonies of Siberia, taught by Frank Zappa, and some of the most elite trainers in the universe who were originally transplanted by spaceship from the planet Mars. :)

....Or was it Venus? :confused:

14. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

I didn't know he was a bodybuilder!

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think you must be thinking of Frank Zane, the guitar player.