1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Well what now...?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by thedrizzle, Mar 21, 2010.

1. thedrizzle

thedrizzle Active Member

Well I've posted here before asking about a routine, stuck with it and found I had some good gains. I'm still on my quest for more mass, so any advice on some good routines designed to put on mass is much appreciated.

Here is my last routine, from mastovers website:

MONDAY: Squats 5x5-10
    Leg Extensions: 3x15
    Stiff leg Deads 4x10

TUESDAY: Incline DB Press 4x6-10
    Weighted Dips 4x6-10
    Cambered bar Skullcrushers 4x6-10

THURSDAY: Weighted Chins 3x4-6
    BB Rows 3x6-8
    Deadlifts 3x8-10
    BB Curl 4x8-12

FRIDAY: Seated BB Press 3x6
    Seated DB Press 2x8-10
    Seated Calf Raise 2x15
    Standing Calf Raise 2x10

I'm looking for another 4 day split routine, one that preferably has a good chest day (I feel like I'm lacking in that department). :confused:

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

You gained mass off of your current routine? If it ain't broke, then why fix it?

Incline DB press and weighted dips are solid exercises for the chest. If you want others, you could try flat BB or DB press as well.

You may have a lagging chest, but I will say that everybody in the gym thinks they lack a decent chest, so they spend godawful amounts of time doing every pressing exercise and every flye variation under the sun. Most of the time, their chest is in perfect proportion to their underdeveloped legs and back. Not saying this is true in your case, but I tend to be careful about doing a disproportionate amount of horizontal pressing work .... as it can lead to physical (shoulder) problems down the road.

3. thedrizzle

thedrizzle Active Member

It's not that it's not working anymore, it's just I've been using that routine for about 3/4 months now, and thought after my upcoming week off I could go back with something new. Maybe just replace a few of those exercises with something different, but for the same muscle groups? If so what would you suggest?

4. Highway1

Highway1 Well-Known Member

Im not trying to be sarcastic by pointing this out but if you already have a good routine with good core exercises, add more weight. Its not a different exercise but it is putting more stress to your muscle. :bb:

5. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

How about changing the order of the exercises, changing amount of reps, for example doing a lighter week (10-12 reps) and heavy week (6-8 reps)?
    I would maybe add a (standing) military press or Push Press on your shoulder day for some variety.

The other guys are right though, add weight :tu:

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Hmmmm..... this routine looks familiar. :)
    All good suggestions above.

My question is, are you looking for another routine simply for a change? Or have you stopped getting results? Another question; what were your beginning and ending weights used on your heaviest squat, dip, and barbell row? I've done this routine for 4-8 months straight. As long as my lifts kept going up, I made progress. If your beginning top end squat was 155 pounds for 5 reps, then 4 months later your top end squat with the same routine is 285 for 5 reps, you are going to be carrying significantly more muscle than 4 months ago. The only changes I've made to this routine was to drop a work set from each exercise once my calories dropped below maintenance when getting ready for a show.

Another reason I see people switching routines too frequently is because they don't log their training, can't accurately gauge progress, and get bored. You know what is boring to me? Not doing the same routine so much, but getting no results from the routine. Now that's boring. :nod:

Anyway, I'm glad you had such good results. Keep up the great work with whatever else you decide upon! :tucool:

7. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I agree, although I am relatively new to all this I use a training log book to track my workouts ( my memory isn't that good to remember sets, reps, etc)

I track exercises, weights used and reps and I use the rest time between exercises to make notes and whether the weights are right or I need to adjust them up. I am constantly surprised when I go back to the last time I did that particular routine and see that I made strength gains by doing more reps of the same weight.

I see alot guys come in there and just wing it ( I used to be like that years ago, probably why I never suceeded and gave it away) but now I keep notes of everything and analyse things whilst listening to great advice. Must be my engineering background that I have to log and analyse everything and dissect it to bits.

8. Richie11

Richie11 Active Member

i have used the same routine for 15 weeks now (fresh back to gym after over 2 years off) and although switch up teh occasional exercise i stick with it, if you start mixing up you loose track of progress let your muscles develop maturely overtime with a set routine and that will promote strength stamina and endurance

9. Rescue

Rescue Active Member

Breathing Squats routine?