1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Well, that's certainly encouraging...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by supirman, Jan 11, 2005.

1. supirman

supirman Well-Known Member

I completely fell off the wagon and was left behind when I moved away and started graduate school. I readily took 4 months off of lifting and eating healthy, and as a result I got FAT!. At least one good thing I noticed today though:

I took 4 months off lifting, but I still managed to incline press 275x7 with no spotter, and then 295x4 with a spotter just so I didn't kill myself :)

I was really shocked to see how much my strength had stayed put even though I took so much time off. I'm excited.:spaz:

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You will bounce back in no time, muscle memory. :claplow:

3. supirman

Yep, that's one thing I do enjoy about taking time off. Heck, I'll probably be up near 350 for a few reps in 2 months or so...

4. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I don't wanna hear this outta you, with a starting physique like that! ;)

Welcome back. :tucool:

5. supirman

You should see what I look like right now, it's quote icky. I think I'm up near 20% bodyfat (just a guess), which is the fattest I've ever been. I do have a good base underneath still even though I haven't worked out in months, but it'll come back fast!

As I said, I can't wait to get lean again. I'll feel so much better than I do now!

6. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Two things:
    1) We all have some exercise/major muscle group that no matter how long you take off, you don't lose that strength on. Deadlifts have always been easy on me. I can go in and hit 495 with not problem any time. I just can't hit it for the number of reps I used to.

2) I have always noticed that if I gained weight that my bench went up. Even 5-10 pounds was enough to make a difference. Unfortunately, my bench has been hurt a lot by losing weight. When I was in the 230's, hitting 275 was easy (Anything over 275 would hurt my shoulder so, I only hit 315 every once in a while). Being 200-205, I need my workout partner back to kick my butt and lift heavy chest again. I need my barrel chest back.

7. slush_puppy

slush_puppy Well-Known Member

Tell the truth, you got sidelined because of all the wedding planning, didn't you? ;) Great to see you back!

8. supirman

Yea... I can use that as an excuse :D

I took the term 'off season' to a whole new level, and took it literally as an OFF season, in which I did absolutely nothing!

My strength has always been freakish. I don't squat anymore, and haven't in almost 2 years, but I guarantee I can go in and get under 405 and muscle out a few reps any day of the week. I love it... but the downside is that I have a very hard time getting/staying lean.

I'm glad to be back, and glad to be back in the gym! I'm feeling great so far. I'll probably weigh in around 195 and be benchinin the mid 400s again no time :tu:

9. fatandred

fatandred Well-Known Member

I hear you on freakish, my bro is like that an to some extent so am I. He never works out. I mean never. He works and drinks beer and eats crap. Granted he doesn't have a good physique. I took him to the gym a couple of weeks ago and he just pops out 350 bps like he's gym rat. His sprint speed is also unreal, though he has no endurance, because of no training and smoking. I guess he's just a extremly powerful guy, genetically. I get jealous of him because he's always stronger than me. What are big brother for I guess.

10. supirman

It's interesting to see how some people are so genetically strong. My entire family is that way. My aunt, of all people, benched over 300 lbs in high scholol (granted, she weighed as much...). My uncle played college football until a car accident shattered his legs, and he had a 700+lbs squat and a 500 lbs bench press. Good genes for strength, bad genes for having a nice physique.

11. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

When is the big day anyway? Are you going to go on a cutting diet for it?

12. supirman

It's still a long time away -- September 2006. If all goes well, I'll get lean now, and then maintain it forever... but that's much easier said than done. I'm gonna try!

13. ocram40000

ocram40000 Well-Known Member

Your an inspiration to us all :tu:

14. supirman

It's nice to know I can be of service :tucool:

15. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

Wow, you have quite a bit of time. I was thinking the big day would be sometime this year. Sounds like you won't have a problem cutting all that down for the tuxedo.

16. supirman

I'll likely undergo 2 or 3 cuts by then (mainly b/c after I get lean, I get lazy...). Hopefully though I can manage to get sub 10%, and then maintain a consistent 10-12% so that I can get shredded in a matter of a few weeks at will.

We made the wedding so far away so that I'll be done with graduate school and likely working by then. That way we'll have plenty of money to start out with.

17. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

supirman...imagine if you had continued to lift for those 4 months that you fell off the diet wagon. With all those extra cal's you'd be even more massive than you already are. I don't know if you would WANT to be any more massive....

18. supirman

Actually, I've BEEN really big before and I didn't like it. I've been as heavy as 230 lbs at 5'7". I was strong as an ox, but found it very difficult to do everday things, like put my shoes on, walk up flights of stairs, etc.

In high school I was 5'7 215 lbs with nearly the same mesurements I've always had. Getting big is no problem, its the trying to keep smaller and lean that I struggle with!