1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the new forums! A few tips to get you started...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by John Stone, Apr 2, 2016.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Here are just a few quick tips to help you find your way around the new software.

At the very top of the forums is the user menu bar. The user menu bar will remained glued to the top, even when you scroll down.

If you hover over your avatar or name in the menu bar, you'll get a flyout where you can quickly access all your essential forum settings, options and user information:

. user menu.PNG

To the right of your avatar and name you'll see a mail icon. That's where you'll access all your private messages (which are now called "conversations"). You'll see a bright red notification pop up there if you get a new message.

To the right of the mail icon is a flag icon. That's where you'll be notified of all sorts of important forum events, such as replies to posts you're following, new trophy awards, and so on.

On the right hand side of the forums listing, you'll find the brand new sidebar. This sidebar contains all kinds of useful information, such as user statistics, members and staff who are currently online, a list of the newest posts and various other forum statistics. You can open and close the sidebar easily: just click the "Close Sidebar" button above your user information box:

top right.PNG

At the bottom left of the forums (just above the "About Us/Membership Upgrade/Quick Navigation" area), you'll see two very important buttons. The first icon is two arrows pointing away from each other diagonally, and next to that you'll see the currently selected forum theme ("JSF Dark" by default):

lower left controls.PNG

The arrow icon will expand the forum to fill the entire width of your browser. Click it again to go back to the default view.

Clicking the currently running theme name will allow you select other themes that are available to you. Repeat the process to switch to another theme, or back to the default (my personal favorite).

When logged in and viewing a thread listing, you can go to the first unread post in any thread by clicking the little ball icon just to the left of the thread name:

first unread.PNG

I hope this helps get you going! I'll work on the video tutorial as soon as I can, but I still have a couple more days of work to do on the forum itself.

I'm happy to report that the JSF forums and the main JSF site are now 100% mobile-friendly, both featuring a modern, fully responsive design. :-)

Please feel free to post with your comments and/or questions. Enjoy!

#1 John Stone, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Question to John

This may sound stupid but do you use tapatalk

I am finding I receive a "network error."

Do I need to fix tapatalk or what

J

3. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Not a stupid question at all. No, you no longer need Tapatalk! The new forums look great on all devices, no special apps or plugins required. Same for the main JSF site. I'm posting this reply from my phone using Chrome, no apps.

4. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    OK I got that... but when I want to post to my thread (assuming there are no new responses) and I click on my thread title, it takes me to the first page of the thread (and not the last page as the old version would). It's simple enough to just click the page number of the last page to take me there (although it is tiring my finger to do so... maybe I need to bulk?), but is there a way you can default the setting to show the most recent page instead of the oldest page? Or am I clicking in the wrong place (i.e. is there a better way to access the most recent page from the forum menus)?

Also, it's taking me a while to get used to finding the date/time of any post on the forum being at the bottom of the post (and not the top as before)... not that it's a problem, just mentioning something that seems "odd/different" that is taking some time to get used to.

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yes, couple easy ways to do what you're asking, and with a single click:

1) When you mouse over the thread title a pop-up with the page numbers will show. Clicking the last page will take you to the last page.
    2) On the right hand side of the thread listing, where it shows the last poster's name and date of his/her post, click the date of the post to be taken directly to it.

Yeah, same here. We'll get used to it. #firstworldproblems

6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    That works. But an extra half-second for the hovering part seems excessive. :p

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Kids today. #HTFU