1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Weights for cardio motivational workout

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by zenpharaohs, Apr 18, 2007.

1. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Based on another recent thread I thought I might see what sort of Calories I could knock off in an hour. My trainer was unavoidably called out of town so I was on my own.

According to my journal, this was the biggest Calories from just weight lifting all year, probably in much longer than that (I usually have some elliptical or something like that in my higher Calorie workouts).

So if you hate cardio but love lifting? No problem. Lift.

2. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

I have said it before: you are kind of amazing, with these things you do.

3. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If it's amazing, it's that your standard issue human body is amazing:

Trust me - when I started out lifting after years of sedentary getting fat, "amazing" was not in the picture. That's the motivational part. Everyone really can do "it".

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Zen, what is your average calorie intake vs output?

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

My workout tonight was intense, but that tonnage considering the reps is damn impressive. :tu:

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's pretty close. These days I'm very slowly increasing my weight or maintaining, eating about 2500-3000 Calories a day. On days I work out I usually add about 400 Calories of nutrition. Since the beginning of the year I've done about 42,000 Calories of exercise in 38 workouts (including some EPOC). So taking out the 15,000 or so PWO Calories, That would mean about 27,000 Calories of exercise for an exercise burn of about 250 Calories per day.

Now I figure I have about 160-170 pounds of lean body mass, so if you plug that in a formula based on lean body mass it's supposed to be about 2000 Calories a day to feed that.

But in my commute every day I get about two miles of walking, and it's not quite flat. This tends to get something like 400-500 Calories five days a week (I walk quite briskly unless the previous day I did heavy hamstrings - almost no New Yorkers normally walk as fast as I do). When you factor that in, I think it actually comes out something like:

2000 + 250 + 400 = 2650 Calories needed
    2500 - 3000 Eaten

maybe 100 Calories on average excess. Dunno what I do with them. Maybe some fat and muscles are added, maybe extra glycogen store (I have a big glycogen store). But is sort of makes sense that I'm slightly increasing weight over this period. The increase is a couple pounds, and that's too small to know what it is.

EDIT: By the way about a year ago I wore the heart monitor for 24hrs on a rest day to measure the normal amount of Calories I burn, an it was about 2700, so that's in the ballpark with everything else.

#6 zenpharaohs, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah but I looked at your workout today - if you were moving right along, you had plenty of high Calorie volume. If you had tracked Calories I'd bet you were much closer to 1000 than to say, 500.

(MB here did about 240 reps of barbell work in 4 sets of 60 reps of these full body circuits).

I did mine in my old interval style long sets with long-ish rests but MB did short rest all the way. That can really pile up the Calories.

It's one of the things that rtestes likes to advise - don't let the rest get long - and that way works. A lot of things work.

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I didn't think to put the HRM on. I've had 900-1000 calorie workouts, but they generally come in at around 1:10-1:15.

So, density might have been up there, but it's a shorter workout than I'm used to.

This type of workout leaves you feeling much different than "heavy" workouts. After the initial fatigue passes, you just have a warm energetic feeling for some reason. And this was on minimal carbs. 20g dex/malto during the workouts + 30 g whey and 20g BCAA. PWO was the same without the carbs, but plus creatine.

To be honest, I figured I'd crash by now.

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah mine ended up feeling quite "doable" all the way but I was keeping a mild pressure on the Calories. After I walked to the train and sat down, the warm energy feeling showed up. I think it's because in a workout like this, you recruit all your fat to burn for a while, and when you stop burning it at that high rate, then you feel the extra spring in your step.

My PWO meal is Nestle's reduced fat chocolate milk.

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

That's probably a good point about the fat burning.

I had a protein/fat meal with some minimal carbs coming from green peppers.

Now, I'm sitting here burning up and the temp in the house is 70 degrees. I think I achieved my goal to get some EPOC.

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You always get some EPOC, even from LISS. But EPOC for LISS, is microscopic.

Three good things to remember about EPOC are:

A: EPOC is proportional to volume. 10 percent more volume? Then 10 percent more EPOC.

B: EPOC increases much more than proportionally to intensity (rate of Calories burned). So if you exercise at 10 percent more intensity, you get more than 10 percent more EPOC. It's more like 20 percent more.

The balance between these explains why intense intervals are popular - if you do 20 percent more intense work for 20 percent less volume, you still increase EPOC. 100 percent more intense for half as long? A lot more EPOC. So in any workout, the EPOC comes from the most intense parts more than from a large volume of low intensity work.

C: The Calories of EPOC come just about all from fat.

#11 zenpharaohs, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  12. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Which is probably why I'm losing fat while gaining muscle! Go EPOC and intense track intervals!

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yup. Just make sure you are not at too much of a Caloric deficit otherwise you will not gain that much muscle.

14. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Part of the benefit of being a teenager is the fact I'm trying to eat as much as possible :tucool:(Candy included :lol:).

BTW Nice squats o_O

#14 Big_D, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007