1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weights before bed?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Sharp161, May 7, 2009.

1. Sharp161

Sharp161 Active Member

Hi, hope this hasn't been covered before i tried searching but seemed to broad to find anything.

I was wondering if its acceptable to do you weight session and then go to bed with only a protien shake and no food, will this hinder my efforts?

Problem is i work very long days and although i do manage to eat 5 balanced meals a day atm when i get home i only have really 2 hours or so until i want to go bed so iv been having my final meal of the day waiting an hour and then training and then protien shake and sleep an hour later.

Would apreciate opinions on this.

2. cwbolton

cwbolton Well-Known Member

Yes it would harm your gains as Post workout carbs are not optional, after your workout your body has depleted its glycogen stores (carbs are stored as glycogen in the body) so you have no carbs in you. So carbs are the first thing you should eat. Which brings us onto the topic carbs before bed, some people say its bad. It depends on your body type really, being an ecto myself i can get away with it so if your an ecto sure have carbs before bed, but im not sure on the other 2 body types. You oculd really do with working out early in the morning rather than late at night, its lots better for you and your body.

Hope i helped

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It depends on how precise your goals are.

For someone who's not aiming to get a competition physique, I think it is unlikely to make a measurable difference. I'm confident that you'll realize more of a difference in the amount of effort, intensity, and energy you're able to put into your workout at a time that's more convenient for you.

I've made far better gains from enjoying doing my workouts each night before bed than I could have made by dragging myself to the gym at some ridiculously inconvenient time of day. :flex:

4. SWO LIFE

SWO LIFE Active Member

I feel the same way. Working out for 6 months and enjoying it is better than quitting after 2 months because you can't get up EVERY morning.

5. artizzztik

artizzztik Active Member

I'm of the opinion that eating carbs before bed is just fine. I really think the bedtime warnings are basically myths. If you eat something at 9pm, do you REALLY think you're done digesting it once you hit the hay? Of course not! I'm not saying you should have candy, coffee or anything obviously dumb - as long as you eat clean, eat whenever you want!

6. Senolian

Senolian Active Member

It seems like you're not asking when you should workout, but if you're going to be able to make progress if you're only able to workout at night. And yeah you'll be able to make progress if you workout at night. I used to get done working out about an hour before I had to go to bed. Just so long as you do some kind of resistance training and maintain your diet either way you'll be able to see some gains.

7. RV8

RV8 Active Member

Here is a link explaining the 3 body types:

http://fitness.scoobysworkshop.com/expectations.htm

8. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

Hey Sharp,

Just a reference, but the time I had the most success with training and sticking to my routine was when I worked out 8:00 to 9:00pm at night, and hit the sack probably at 9:45 or a soon as I calmed down enough and smelt good enough ;-)

At the time I had a baby and 3 yr od and a wife (all of which I still have mind you). Night was the only time I could expect consistency. It worked fine for me.

Hope it does for you too.

Pete

9. stefanjagger

stefanjagger Active Member

You could just wolf down some cottage cheese and tbsp PB, only takes 5 mins max!

10. stefanjagger

stefanjagger Active Member

+1

:bb:

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well said!

12. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Ditto...

I always seem to sleep better after I've worn my ass out with the weights!:tu:

My favorite PWO meal is a PB&J on wheat with a glass of no-fat skim milk!:tucool:

13. N1cko

N1cko Active Member

I've always lifted at night time, at one stage it was from 9-10PM and it worked fine for me. Not being a 'morning person' I would never have the willpower or energy to put in the effort in the morning. Now I normall get home from work, have some carbs, wait about an hour and then get going with my workout at about 6:30PM. As mentioned above, it makes me sleep like a log. And there's still time to slip in a recovery drink, some protein and a meal after that. Purrrrfect.

14. 1amin

1amin Active Member

I have no choice but to work out at night, right before bed. I work really long hours and start early in the morning, so I have no time to workout before work. Even if I did have the time, I don't think I would be awake enough to find the motivation to go to the gym that early.

Going to the gym late at night has a lot of benefits for me. There are less people using the equipment, and since there are so few people at the gym at that time, I've become good friends with all the regulars. I doubt that would have happened if I had gone during the peak hours.

For me, eating dinner right before bed isn't ideal, but it's what I have to do. I may not be doing things perfectly, but I'm still in the best shape of my life.

15. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

I thought I would chime in even though this thread has slowed down. Back when I worked 12 hr shifts, 3pm-3am I bulked up from 136lbs to about 162 right now. I also did my routine before bed. I made sure I was well fed and cottage cheese or oatmeal was a staple bedtime snack. (slow digesting protein ftw) Of course I was skinny so I really wasn't worried all that much about fat.