1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weights 5 days a week to Weights 3 days a week

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by HyPe, Nov 5, 2004.

1. HyPe

HyPe Well-Known Member

I used to do weights 5 days a week and spread out my body parts pretty well, i was doing

1/ chest - total 12 sets
    2/ back - total 12 sets
    3/ tricep / bicep - total 18 sets (9each)
    4/ shoulder - total 12 sets
    5/ legs - total 12 sets

i'd have 2 days break in between. Now i'm just to tired with all my other weekly activities that my body just cant' handle 5 days a week and i've decided to drop this to 3 days a week.
    I like John's split but i do'nt know how many sets to perform for each exercise.

my split would look like this

saturday: pecs / delts / triceps (p.s. in that order?)
    monday: back / bicep
    wednesday: legs

Please assist me as before i was doing a certain number of sets but im wondering when i change my workout to the one above how many sets i should be doing for each exercise
    this would be much appreciated

and John if you do happen to respond / read this :tu: keep up the awesome work with this site, iv'e been around sine almost day one, i don't post a lot but i never fail to read an update and i love the progress you have made with this site. keep it up. when i do have the extra money, i will be donating / purchasing some merchandise.

Additionally john could you post the amount of sets you do for your workout, in particular a workout like pecs / delts / triceps
    thanks a lot

2. SteveSatch

SteveSatch Well-Known Member

I *was* doing a three day split and just switched to a five day split. My workouts were taking too long trying to fit so much in on each day. With a five day the workouts are much faster and I give it all I've got knowing it's short. In my opinion only, I think you're doing way too many sets per muscle group. Hit them hard with heavy weight for a total of 6-9 sets per muscle group. Just my opinion.

3. HyPe

HyPe Well-Known Member

yer well i was liking 5 but its just to strenuous, yes the workouts are quicker i do agree, but at the moment with school and stuff, 5 workouts a week is a bit hektic also this gives me a lot more recovery time with the sport i play and means that i have more time to rest and do other stuff.
    thanks a lot, the more comments please would be of great help.
    also if i should drop my sets, where do i drop my sets, taking a set off each exercise? so instead of doing 3 different exercises 4 sets i do 3 exercises with 3 sets each?

4. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

5 days/week is rough to keep going damn near every day.

If you go with a three day split, you will need to lower your sets. I would say that that 6-8 sets per body part per week is not a bad thing to do. Personally right now I've gone from my classic three way split doing a body part each week to the same split, but repeating it every 5 days, to see how it works. My split is the same as you mentioned (and yes for that order on your saturday).

I'm doing 6 or so sets with the big compound movements, and then will be doing only 5 for my biceps and tris. I generally do two exercises a body part, though in the case of back yesterday I did deads, then rows, then pullups (though deads don't really get my lats much). Otherwise bis/tris, chest, etc. all get two excercises, except that legs may get only one for my quads (6 straight of squats), and I may sometimes do a front lateral raise with my shoulders in addition to the side raise and the military press.

If you're going hard and fairly heavy you will be able to lower the sets, and in fact find yourself unable not to. 20 sets now is about the most I can do.

5. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Think about going with compound movements for upper body exclusively... (no bi/tri iso's) saves time and wear. I'll post my 4-day split later today as an example and maybe there is somethibng helpful in there for you.

6. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

How is it working for you not hitting bis/tris directly at all? I know some people do that, but I'm scared not to work them at least a bit, though I will say that cutting back my load on my right bicep to half has not bridged the gap between it and the left (my right is quite a bit larger), so I do have to question how much these so-called isolation movements really do for some of the smaller muscles anyway.

7. SteveSatch

SteveSatch Well-Known Member

Except for legs, I do two exercises with three sets per exercise for each muscle group. So, each group gets a total of six sets per week. I lift as much as I can so that reps are in the 4-6 range......Even with that I found a three day split took too long on some days as it was just too many exercises to fit in. I would love to see your four day split Hort.

8. HyPe

HyPe Well-Known Member

thanks for all the help guys, damn i love this board :claplow:

9. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

OK- here is my four day split. I love it- seen my best gains with this while bulking and have kept on it while cutting. No upper body isolation exercises, just compound. Built around push/pull. Legs are split quad dominant and hip dom. It can be a prety tiring four days. You can always lighten the weight and up the reps. Lately I've changed this to alternate lifting days and cardio over a week's time.

Day 1 Upper Body I

Push Flat Bench 3 x 6-8
    Pull Seated Cable Row 3 x 6-8
    Push PecDeck 3 x 6-8
    Pull Single DB Row 3 x 6-8
    Push Incline DB Bench 3 x 6-8
    Pull Low Row 3 x 6-8
    Push Dips 3 x Failure

Day 2 Quad Dominant

Hack Squat 3 x 6-8
    Leg Extension 3 x 6-8
    DB Step-up 3 x 6-8