1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weightlifting and muscle building options with a shoulder labral tear.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by GatorDeb, Feb 15, 2012.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I have a superior anterior labral tear (SLAP) on my left shoulder. I'm training for an Ironman I'm doing on May 2013 (yep 2013) so at least until then, no surgery, can't afford the downtime. Even then I'd rather explore other venues such as physical therapy first.

I'm in sore need to work on my overall body strength. I want to work both upper and lower body, whole body really.

Someone told me not to go above the shoulder line, i.e. clean and presses are bad for labral tears and such. Thoughts on that?

What are some things I can do to build muscle (and I'm very much into building both endurance and bulk)? It hurts 24/7 but not terribly and it handles the swimming and biking well. I have full range of motion.

Is water better than land for me for resistance exercises? Machines, bands, TRX, dumbbells?

Any good websites regarding weightlifting and labral tears?

Thanks!! :)

2. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

First I will say that I am not a doctor, but I am currently suffering from a rotator cuff impingement in my left shoulder. Not exactly the same as what you are experiencing but I'll share my rehab.

My doctor and physical therapist have instructed me to continue exercising, but if an activity hurts, don't do it. My rehab largely involves maintaining "good" range of motion in my shoulder and strengthening my back muscles. I have largely cut back on heavy lifting and instead working on very light weight and high repetitions. I have been using bands and free weights exclusively. I have also been following a fairly comprehensive stretching routine to ensure I maintain full range of motion. My doctor indicated that people with shoulder injuries tend to limit their motions, which can lead to muscle imbalances and other issues.

I am an active hockey player and over a 6 week period have noticed my range of motion and strength are quite good, however certain positions remain painful.

As for water exercises, I suspect this may put too much resistance when your arm is fully extended and may cause some pain.

Good luck.

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Can you squat and deadlift?