1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Vests: XVest vs V-Max

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by michaelnel, Nov 13, 2006.

1. michaelnel

michaelnel Active Member

I've been thinking that a heavy weight vest combined with power walking would be a great way for me do do the low impact cardio I want to do.

There are lots of low-end weight vests (I saw one with 40lbs in it at Sports Authority this afternoon for $99), but based on what I saw today they are cheesy and not comfortable.

The high-end ones that seem to get recommended the most are the XVest:

http://www.thexvest.com/

...and the V-Max:

http://weightvest.com/index.html

They both appear to be of excellent quality, and both have some distinguished endorsers including military, firefighters and police. Cost is fairly similar too (75lb VMax $290, 84lb XVest $300).

At least from the website, the XVest looks to me to be a little better design ergonomically, like it would fit better. The VMax is one size fits all, while the XVest has five size ranges available (except for the one size fits all X2 vest, but that one is too lightweight for what I want).

Has anyone here personally tried either or both of these vests? They aren't cheap, so I would like to make as informed a decision as possible in choosing one or the other.

BTW, yes, I know the 75lb VMax can be expanded to 100lbs... but I am pretty unlikely to want even as much as 84lbs, let alone 100.

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

3. michaelnel

michaelnel Active Member

Thanks, yes I know that Elite sells both of them, but as with most things they want more for them.

#3 michaelnel, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  4. BreakingPoint

BreakingPoint Well-Known Member

That is an awesome site! I bookmarked it. I'm looking to create my own chinup bar because my current tower really limits my natural range of motion (stupid leg raise back support :mad:).

5. michaelnel

michaelnel Active Member

Although nobody here seems interested.... I ordered the 50lb short vest from WeightVest.com last Thursday. It arrived Monday via USPS. Super strong construction and excellent workmanship.

I removed 25lbs worth of the 50lbs of weight that was installed and wore it for my mile and a half walk home from work. It did what I wanted it to do... raised my heart rate and made me sweat.

I'll wear it empty for the walk to work this morning and then carry the rest of the weights home in it tonight. I think this thing is going to be a great way to get some cardio in on a daily basis walking to and from work. :tu:

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Actually I didn't see the thread the first time. I have used weight vests a lot in my training and done uphill walking and sprinting with them.

I have also sometimes stuck a plate in my knapsack for my commute which involves about a mile of walking and goes up and down about seven to twelve flights of stairs. But I thought that was beating up my laptop too much so I stopped doing that.

But I haven't used either of the advanced vests you were considering. After you've used it a bit I'd love to hear what you think are the strong and weak points. I've been thinking of getting one of the nice ones.

7. michaelnel

michaelnel Active Member

Carrying weight in a knapsack also means it's all on your back and shoulders, and pulling your upper body back. What I like about the vest is that it is evenly distributed front and rear, so you can walk with good posture instead of hunched over like Quasimodo.

OK, I'll post an update after using it for a week or so. I wore it on my walk in to work yesterday with only 10lbs in it (knowing I had to hump the remaining 25lbs home from work), and with the 10lbs it wasn't really noticeable. However, with 35lbs in it, it was definitely a good cardio workout on the way home!

Keep in mind: I am old and weak and out of shape, trying to reverse the second and third. Not much I can do about the first, but it beats hell out of the alternative.

8. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Good old squatting for reps fixes any and all of that.

9. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

10. michaelnel

michaelnel Active Member

They look nicely designed but...

They don't hold enough weight. I have only been using my vest for 2 days and have settled on 35lbs as my minimum weight to have in it.

I like the short design of the one I have, nothing constricting your middle

I like the open sides. The thing is warm enough with even the open sides. If it was all closed up it'd be a sauna.

11. michaelnel

michaelnel Active Member

I don't doubt the value of squatting for reps or otherwise, but fail to see how it has anything to do with this.

I said having weight in a backpack makes you walk hunched over. I don't see how *anything* you do before or after walking hunched over allows you to not walk hunched over.

If you don't lean forward when you are walking while carrying weight on your back, you fall backward, I don't really see much way around it.

But then I'm not very smart, so ... 'splain please.

#11 michaelnel, Nov 22, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2006