1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight training AND running

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by brucevos, Feb 14, 2004.

1. brucevos

brucevos Well-Known Member

I am wondering if anyone on this forum is doing both weight training and running?

I have been weight training for about 8 months and marathon training for about 6 months.

I find that most beginner (that's me) run training schedules feature 4 - 6 training days per week. Most weight training schedules (the include fat loss) are 3 days of weights, 3 day cardio.

I originally wanted to "cross train", essentially by adding to cardio days to increase time and distance in my runs and do weight training on the days inbetween and taking the all important day off or "free-day".

My success so far is great if I look at where I came from (lifetime smoker, overweight, poor eater, non-exerciser), but I still have a high bf% and a low running speed.

I basically love food and "free day" for me might as well be called "free-for-all-day" or binge day, because I love to pig out!

Anyone out there have any suggestions or common experience? I know it boils down to: eat less fat, less calories, more protein, less carbs, train hard! Any feedback appreciated.

Bruce :D

2. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Yeah I include running in my program which also involves weight training. Its hard to get the right balance but it can be done.

I'm not sure exactly what your goals are but I'm cutting while trying to maintain my muscle mass. I do weight training 3 days per week (not to heavy, each body part once per week), I do HIIT twice a week and I do 7-8km runs twice per week. I also add cycling and rowing for variety,

I love running, theres nothing like running through nature or the city with that feeling of euphoria. Its better than being stuck in a cardio room.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question or not but I hope it helps.

Marcus :tucool: