1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight not dropping, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Andy, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Some quick stats, I'm 6'5" 230 and i'd guess maybe 16-18% body fat. I'm trying to get rid of some fat and normally i have no problem doing that. I drop to about 2000 calories and like clock work I lose about 2 pounds a week.

Well for the past couple months i've been eating 2000 calories every day and I have not dropped a single pound. I'm pretty anal about my macros and I get about 220 grams of protein, 160-180 grams of carbs and about 50 grams of fat usually spread out to about 5 or 6 meals a day.

But here is the major difference. Normally I don't lift, bad i know but new baby, hard to get to the gym blah blah blah. Well this cut I got weights and set up a nice gym in my garage and have been busting my ass lifting. I do a full upper body workout twice a week with a lot of compound lifts and lower body once a week (because it seems to take me that long to recover) and ab ripper x a couple times a week.

I keep reading that you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time but that sure seems like that is what i'm doing... unless I'm missing something? My waist has shrunk and my arms have got better and you would think I was exaggerating if I told you how much my lifts have gone up. But i guess that is what happens when you go years without touching a weight.

The only downside is that the fat doesn't seem to be coming off like it usually does. Normally after a month or so People start to notice, after 2 months I have to start making new holes on my belt. This time the fat loss seems to be there but way way down.

So I guess i'm looking for suggestions? Drop my calories a bit? I'd hate to do that. More cardio? Keep doing what I'm doing?

2. Jackw72

Jackw72 Active Member

Sounds like a familiar story to me and for me the only thing to do was to just stay patient eventually it should start dropping off. I often get heavier or bigger when cutting and it is frustrating but in the end its better than losing some strength.

Replacing fat with muscle is always going to make you heavier and look bigger or more a less the same.

Finding a balance with the calories is probably the best suggestion if you want to lose weight more than build muscle so maybe try 1800 cals and I am pretty sure it will start dropping off within a few days. You may also find that you will lose some progress in the gym due to this.

I have always found the lose fat gain muscle thing to be a very elusive and difficult to keep up with, I guess if you find out how many cals it takes to lose fat and a bit of strength try an amount in between that and not losing weight at all.

This is my personal opinion backed up by no scientific proof but my own. :gl:

3. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

i know for me my metabolism started to slow down a bit around 34 ;-)

4. user786

user786 Active Member

Dont worry about the Weight on the scale . You can gain muscle lose fat especially if new to weight training .
    just keep track of the waist/bicep/ thigh/ chest measurement as long as the waist is dropping
    and the others are increasing or staying steady then your doing good.

5. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

this!

People new to weight training or those who are detrained will find that they gain muscle even while in a caloric deficit and losing fat. Forget the scale. You are making much better progress than simply losing 2 lbs on the scale. You are losing fat (decrease in waist size) and gaining muscle/strength (increase in arm size and amount of weight lifted) at the same time! This is a feat that any smart lifter would love to be able to pull off. Keep riding the wave and don't change anything!

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Although I don't believe it's the proper time, I would actually increase calories, in the form of carbs. Once a plateau is reached, I would take five days where you are taking in 60-75 grams of additional carbohydrates a day. Then resume your normal diet after the five days of higher carbs. Your metabolic rate should be stimulated (as well as your thyroid) and it should re-calibrate your metabolic setpoint setting you up for continued fat loss during your next bout of dieting.

Think of our bodies as a furnace. How does one keep the fire burning? By occasionally adding in more coals. Think of carbs as our bodies coals. How much carbs to add in depends upon the individual's body type, energy levels, training, and a host of other factors.

You also have a unique window where you can continue to add lean mass without a caloric surplus. If the training stimulus is there, motivation high every time you step into the gym, if you are not overtraining, and have plenty of protein - the lack of energy substrates will be derived from body fat. Most importantly during this time, the neurological and psychological component of the force of the human will cannot be denied. This is a phenomenon that I have seen numerous times, experiencing it myself (especially pre-contest) but will not show up in any research or study report (and I am a 'studies nerd') yet is agreed upon by almost all the big wigs like Alan Aragon and Layne Norton, whom I have almost daily contact with.

Keep up the good work! :tucool:

7. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for the advice. I'll continue doing what I'm doing now but pay close attention to my myo tape and my lifts in the gym. When I notice things start to slow down I'll up my carbs a bit for a while.

Thanks again everybody.