1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight-loss plan adjustment & alcohol

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by FitNat, Jul 25, 2007.

1. FitNat

FitNat Active Member

Hello, ladies!

I'm new here, but I've been reading some of the threads here ever now and then. I've working out hard-core for the past 6 years, varying my workout routines. 2 years ago I lost 25lbs by adjusting my diet, cutting out late night eating and alcohol, and have maintained my weight ever since - I'm 5'4, 137lb. Currently, I'm on 5 days of moderate cardio and one intense day of boxing boot camp training. I also do strength training 2-3 times a week, + yoga/Pilates routines at least 1-2 week.

Right now I want to decrease my body fat and lose additional 10-15lb. I'm making new adjustments to my diet, to decrease portions and increase protein intake. What I'm wondering about is alcohol...I don't drink hard liquor but I do enjoy few glasses of red or white wine at least once a week. I'm interested in your thoughts and personal experiences with alcohol in relation to successful weight-loss.

Thank you all for all the useful information you've provided in the past! :bow:

#1 FitNat, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

a few glasses a week will be fine as long as you account for them in your total calories and are honest with yourself about how much you're actually drinking. if it's enough to get a hangover.... then it's going to set you back that much farther each time as your body deals with the poison. if you keep it in moderation, then i think you can still lose fat even though it might come at a slower rate than if you abstained altogether.

3. spatzcat_11

spatzcat_11 Active Member

When you drink alcohol, it’s broken down into acetate (basically vinegar), which the body will burn before any other calorie you’ve consumed or stored, including fat or even sugar.

Studies show that alcohol temporarily inhibits “lipid oxidation”— in other words, when alcohol is in your system, it’s harder for your body to burn fat that’s already there.

I workout 3 to 4 times a week myself, I save my glasses of wine for the days rest. Since I usually have wine with dinner, and work out about an hour after I eat, that wine will still be in my system, screwing up my goals. So, I don't drink on days I work out. :tu:

Keep in mind as well, if you go on one hell of a bender on a friday night, it can take a long time for your body to burn that alcohol off...so your Saturday work out might not work out as well had you not got smashed on the Friday night.....:bang: