1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight loss after stomach bug

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by SpikyHedgehog, Nov 22, 2011.

1. SpikyHedgehog

SpikyHedgehog Active Member

So a few weeks ago, I got an injury during martial arts training. A small one at my finger. I was stupid and didn't immediately disinfect it.
    Result: infected wound. Agressive infection that required agressive antibiotics. These antibiotics wiped out my gut flora and caused some annoying bacterium called C-Diff to wreak havoc in my gut... f'ing figures.
    To remedy this bacterium (normal stomach flu's are usually viral and less serious), I had to take yet another antibiotic which I finished yesterday.
    Anyway, it made me sick for about a week. For a week straight, I ate nothing but toasts, some cooked fish and rice.
    Obviously, I lost a couple of kilos. No big deal. it's kinda normal when you got a stomach bug right.

I've been feeling better for over a week now and my eating pattern has returned to normal since a few days. Last week I decided to work out again... did two heavy workouts in a few days time but now I noticed how I lost almost a kilo... again! It's kinda worrying. Shouldn't I have gained again since I'm eating normally since a few days? Or is my body still in "exhaust mode" and I should give it a rest for a few weeks?
    Dammit... I had finally reached a weight I was happy with by working out and now this... plus this additional weight loss really worries me.

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Even though you are feeling better, your body is still probably recovering somewhat. I had a bad stomach flu a couple of years ago -- It only lasted for a few days, but it took me about 3 weeks to fully get my strength back.

3. SpikyHedgehog

SpikyHedgehog Active Member

Yeah I suppose I shouldn't be worrying. The doc told me that losing is actually easier than gaining weight. Especially considering I have a relatively fast metabolism.
    She also said that it's normal I haven't gained yet even after eating normally for a week and that it usually can last quite a while before it comes back.

Still, I don't feel 100% reassured to be honest.

4. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

A lot of it is probably water weight. I am getting over a bad bout of food poisoning and the strength in today's workout was noticeably lacking. Just keep eating, hydrating, and it will come back faster than you think (I hope!).