1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Lifting Belts

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by PipesFranco, Feb 16, 2004.

1. PipesFranco

PipesFranco Well-Known Member

Hi,

Anyone wear weight lifting belts when they lift heavy?

Are they any good, is the support up to a good standard and is it very beneficial to my workouts?

Im not lifting heavy so im wondering if they are neccesary?

cheers

2. laao

laao Well-Known Member

I asked this question about 2 weeks ago and the answer most told me was that they didnt use a belt, but if your back is hurting that you need to stop so you dont pull anything.

3. PipesFranco

PipesFranco Well-Known Member

Most of the guys at our gym seem to wear them to look manly!

they love to flaunt thier leather!

4. Paul J

Paul J Well-Known Member

from my experience, and the two years i played here at notre dame, dont use a lifting belt unless you're going liek rediculously heavy-which you should not. the reason is when you use a belt, you are supporting yourself with that instead of your natural support system: your own abdominals and your lower back muscles. my advice is to NOT use one, because you need to support your own body.....you are building "core" body strength. im sure you guys have heard of "core" body strength, like training with medicine balls and stuff. well if you DONT use a belt, you work more of your body during training, even if it is just stabilizer muscles, you are getting more benfit. now when i deadlifted 600 pounds or squated 600 pounds, i used a belt. but unless you are powerlifting like i did then, you dont need one.