1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight isn't dropping

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by NotNamedDan, Sep 11, 2010.

1. NotNamedDan

NotNamedDan Active Member

I am back on the wagon, cutting the 45lbs of fat that I've put on over the last two years. I am 5'11", and while I have broad shoulders and a medium frame, my muscular base is not all that substantial (and I have very long limbs).

I started at 215lbs and have cut down to 198-200lbs over the last 8 weeks. Losses were rapid early on, of course, but things changed. After 6 weeks, I was at 202lbs, but for another two weeks the scale didn't budge. Eventually it did drop down to 198 over the last two weeks, but the last few days I have returned to 200lbs (the scale is very consistent relative to itself).

My concern is that the fat losses aren't coming as rapidly as I'd expected. I am plateauing pretty bad right now and it's disheartening. I have cut 40lbs before and it came off much faster and with less... suffering.

I am getting stronger every day and my lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, pullups, etc) are all increasing. I can see definition returning and my belt IS getting looser and looser, but I still feel as though my body is holding onto more fat than I'd expect.

Today I sat down with Fitday and calculated roughly what my daily caloric intake has been for the last few weeks and I was shocked. I thought I was in the area of 1800cals a day, but in reality I think I'd rarely breaking 1400 or 1500. I am wondering, to what extent could this be hampering my gains? My macros are good, I am definitely not losing muscle, but I feel like my weight came off easier on previous cuts when I had a higher caloric intake than this.

I guess what I am asking is whether there is any actual evidence that "starvation mode" exists, that perhaps my extremely low calories are the cause of my slow cut. I realize that over 8 weeks, 17lbs of fat loss is a good number, but in reality it was about 5 weeks to get the first 13lbs or so of that loss, and three more weeks where the scale has essentially hovered in place.

2. NotNamedDan

NotNamedDan Active Member

Two things I forgot to mention.

Activity level is high. Lifting heavy three or four days a week, LISS or HIIT cardio on most other days.

Also, about three weeks ago I started supplementing with Creatine for the first time. Just a teaspoon of ALN's Creatine every day, no loading period and nothing crazy. Can that cause substantial fluid retention?

3. George

George Senior Member

Not sure about "starvation mode", but your metabolism definitely starts to down-regulate when you eat too little for too long. This can make maintaining your weight after you're done cutting very difficult.

It does sound like you're still losing fat, though -- your waistline is shrinking and your lifts are going up. Don't be so fixated on scale weight. I would get a tape measure and start tracking a few measurements like waist circumference.

4. Aleister bates

Aleister bates Active Member

Try cutting your carbs bro.Ive dropped mine below 60 per day and the pounds are falling rapidly.:tucool:

5. George

George Senior Member

Why? :confused:
    The OP is already eating too little, and there is no metabolic advantage to low carb diets.

6. falvarez03

falvarez03 Active Member

Seems like your calorie intake is too low, I found that cutting your calories way too much has a negative effect. Also, try switching up your diet, look at your macros, if you been eating too many carbs you can organize your calories and jump start your metabolism. When my weight was at a standstill, I took a look at my macros and found that my carbs were 55% of my calories, I brought them down to 40% and increase my protein to 40% and my weight started dropping again.

Good luck

7. ematsuda

ematsuda Well-Known Member

Two things come to mind. 1) When I start taking creatine, my weight goes up initially. It's because your muscles are retaining more water. You should be getting stronger too. 2) Your BF% is dropping but you're gaining muscle. Use a tape measure and nix the scale. Scales can mess with your brain if you don't use it beneficially. For me, I love when my weight is the same or more after a couple of weeks yet my waist measurement went down. This happens quite frequently over the course of a transformation. It's something to celebrate, not worry about. If I had a choice, I'd like to stay the same weight and drop my BF% from 13% to 8%. Unfortunately, I do give up some lbs. when I drop BF%.

#7 ematsuda, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. badcarmine40cal

badcarmine40cal Active Member

I am in the same situation. I do 35 minutes cardio, then 30 minutes weight. I am still sitting at 250 the last 4 weeks, but my waist line feels slimmer and i am watching my diet close. one trainer at Gold's said eat more carbs in the day and I am like no way! I want to drop 60-65 pounds. i had Gastric Bypass 4 years ago and I lost 110 pounds, but still need to finish off 65 more. Any advice would sure be helpful and I am still taking Novalog for type 2 diabetes and metformin pills. My doctor said 40 pds more and I should be off all this crap!:bb:

9. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

One bit of advice, don't do your cardio immediately before weight training. Good luck with your goals.

10. Aleister bates

Aleister bates Active Member

You can take in up to 3000 calories daily and still lose as long as you keep your carb count under 60.This is my strategy and im never hungry and my weight loss has been constant.

11. ematsuda

ematsuda Well-Known Member

Good advice here.

Maybe only a 10 min. warm up to get the blood flowing and loosen up/lube up the joints before you hit the weights - especially HIIT which will drain a lot of energy from the get go. Your weight training could be a lot more intense.

If you're going to do cardio before your weight training, make it a seperate time altogether such as in the morning if you train weights in the evening. Otherwise, weights first, cardio afterward. No need to warm up much on the cardio either as your heart rate is up so you can blast full force early.

Getting back to the original post. I sometimes see up to a 3lb. weight gain (I have a small frame at 148 lb.so that's a lot) when I start taking creatine after about 3-4 days with no loading. My muscles do look fuller though.

#11 ematsuda, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  12. George

George Senior Member

What are you basing this statement on? :confused:

13. Vbsetter11483

Vbsetter11483 Active Member

*Disclaimer* My comment may get jumped on a little bit by some other people and I certainly defer to their knowledge as I am only basing this on my limited experience.

I have been working on losing weight myself and started July 1st at 215-220. I was closely monitoring calories, lifting regularly, and a good amount of cardio. Early on I was taking in far too few calories (much like John's first cut years ago) simply because I didn't know better. After a few weeks I made some really good progress but also found this site and added calories up to about 1800 a day. I continued to drop but then stalled out pretty bad at 190 lbs. It was getting frustrating since I didn't feel like I was gaining any muscle mass or losing fat but I felt like I had to be running at a calorie deficit. I tried bumping up calories for a couple days (not too high but enough to "reset") but when I cut the calories back down I didn't notice an improvement.

When the increase didn't work I went the opposite way, I threw in a fasting day. Now this won't be for everyone and I haven't seen many people on this site using fasts but for me it worked. I took my usual multi in the morning but all day I drank nothing but water... lots of water. I didn't eat again until the next morning when I went back to my usual 1800 days. That one day I lost about 4-5 lbs. Now I expected to gain most or all of that back. I think my weight went back up to about 189 after a couple days but then I quickly started losing lbs again just using my usual deficit. Now this was just my experience but using a fast really helped me break through the stalled weight loss.