1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight in relation to cycle day

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Trinity, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

Is it my imagination, or does a woman weigh more right before her period? I'm trying to decide whether I've hit a plateau, or if it is water that will come off when I get my period.

Any anecdotes are welcome :)

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

makes sense to me: bloating. water retention. all the good stuff.

3. tantan

tantan Well-Known Member

I also experienced the yoyo effect before and after mensus. I guess Chopaholic is right. ;)

4. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

The same thing happens to me the week before. I either "gain" or stay the same. But the weight comes right off after, so I think its just water weight.

5. Ansett

Ansett Well-Known Member

OMG!! Yes!

This very phenomenon was a real demotivator for me last month. I started out at 185 lbs in late january when I began my diet and exercise program. I got down to 175 in about 6 weeks, then right before my period my weight went back up to 182. Was all but three pounds of what I lost water weight? Did I work for 6 weeks to lose 3 pounds?! I quit working out because of frustration (can we say mood swing due to hormones?), but kept eating clean because I wasn't quite ready to give up. Then after my period was over, I was back down. Down to 174 actually - lost a pound that week even though I wasn't working out. Whew! So I'm back working out again. Can't believe I was holding onto 7 lbs of water! Wow!

6. xray

xray Well-Known Member

It's all normal...

Hi girls,
    It's quite normal to gain several pounds during period. (Up to 4 pounds/2kilos or even more, I have heard from a reliable sourse!) It differs from woman to woman when (over the period) the weight is gained, and how much. The comfort in it is that it's all water retention, and it'll slip. I feel it in my body, that it holds on to the water, and from one day till the other, my trousers are a bit tighter around my waist.

7. tantan

tantan Well-Known Member

so in order to console and motivate ourselves, can we drink lesser water during those days... to appear lighter.... :confused: You know... lesser water intake... lesser retention ???

8. xray

xray Well-Known Member

No-no

I believe that would be a no-no. We need 2-3 liters of water every day, every single day, also during period. I try to think of it this way: When I have my period and feel all flabby and "blown up", water retention is the reason, and when period is over, I'll loose the extra water, and I'll feel much better and even somewhat slimmer... (That's probably tricking myself, but as long as it makes me feel good.. :p )

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the excessive water during period is not inside the cells where it should be, but outside of them, and if not drinking what's needed these days, it will cause dehydration. I'm happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong. The clue is anyway that it is always important to drink al lot of water, period or not.

9. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

XRAY's right--the water is extracellular, so you aren't using it. You can have a lot of bloating and be very dehydrated--this happened to me.

10. kirby

kirby Well-Known Member

I read once that during your period you burn an extra 500 cals a day (approx.). So if you were eating the same, you would have lost weight!

Kirby

11. xray

xray Well-Known Member

Kirby, that's not the fact. I have never, ever heard of a woman that has lost weight during her period, due to regular diet, (of course while on a diet, yes) That would mean we'd loose weight easily without any effort, except from the "effort" a period can cause in pain and feeling bloated, and that's not the story... After the period we get back to "zero", but I'd love if Kirby was right !

12. kirby

kirby Well-Known Member

Hi xray! It's always good to get help deciphering the myths from reality. Thanks for letting us know what's up.

Kirby

13. Obscura

Obscura Well-Known Member

I saw this post on the "new posts" quicklink so I did not notice the forum it was posted in. I clicked thinking it was about weight training and bicycle training. Thread did not deliver. :-)

14. exlibris

exlibris Well-Known Member

Ha! I know of a bicycle building company in the US called "Menstrual Cycles". :D

15. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

Hi all.

My wife's weight is haywire around her period. She can gain up to 3kg then lose it all again in a matter of 5-7 days. Just try not to let the fluctuations get you down.

Andrew.