1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

We Can Rebuild Him......

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by k3vb0, Jun 21, 2007.

1. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

I am starting this log to chronicle my process recovering from injuries I sustained while training for a marathon last year. I was up to 20 miles on my longest runs and a month away from the marathon, when I tore my left meniscus and partially ruptured my left achilles. I was getting back to exellent shape, but had to cut back on my workouts when I had arthro to repair my knee in October. After several non-invasive techniques failed, I finally had surgery last week to repair it. The following URL shows how they repaired it. [WARNING: SORT OF GRUESOME] http://www.thefootandankleclinic.com/article215section12.htm I will be in a non-weight bearing cast for 6 weeks and a boot for 2-3, which will make cardio difficult.

My goal now is to lose fat and slowly increase muscle while recuperating. I will slowly increase my cardio and weight lifiting and try to get myself back in shape without reinjuring myself (which, sadly, at 44 is becoming too easy to do).

6-20-2007

Started walking through the neighborhood on crutches two days ago, and have slowly worked up to around 10 blockks (maybe a quarter mile). I am also starting 10 day South Beach diet Phase 1 cycle to reduce bodyfat. I have found that I typically lose 10 lbs ( a lot of fat and a bit of water) when I go on this cycle. I will then slowly add slow burning catbs back into my diet.

2. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

6-21-07

My diet was perfect today. I got in 6 meals and ate only fibrous carbs..no starches or sugars. This was difficult since my 15 year old daughter came back from the grocery store with a huge package of cupcakes, but I mock them as I walk by in the kitchen.

Today was an off day as I pushed it a little too hard yesterday and my foot was pretty swollen in my cast....not a happy feeling. On the plus side, my shoulders, bi's, and especially tris are trashed from crutch walking arond the neighborhood the last couple of days. Walking on crutches is sort of like a prolonged set of dips...my arms will definitely look better after 6 weeks of this.

Nowhere to go from here but up.

#2 k3vb0, Jun 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  3. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat

I took photos so I can track progress again. I have found that if I take photos, I am more likely to stick with my program because I can see progress. Or if I can't, I know I need to make changes.

Blech. Back to the skinny fat stage. Again, I know I can make progress , but it's depressing to be out of shape so quickly again. Currently at 206.4 pounds (207.4 on the scale, but the cast weighs1 lbs), and at 17.6% BF. I am also in moderate ketosis, which I verified with keto sticks, so my low carb diet seems to be kicking in.

Attached Files:

#3 k3vb0, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  4. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

6-23-07

Chest/Back workout.

I am doing light weights/15 reps with push/pull supersets to help cut more fat. Since I don't have the use of one leg, I can only really do dumbell and cable exercises.

It;s amazing how even one day of working out gets me out of the dolldrums. I was feeling pretty mentally unfocused this last week, and just this first workout is already making me feel better.

5. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Woke up this morning weighing 205.5 (206.5 - 1 lb cast). I ended the May 100 Challenge at 207.4. Hopefully, with my calories kept this low, I am not losing too much muscle mass. Hmmm....since I have gotten to my lowest recent weight with only diet, lifting, and some very light cardio, I think my diet was still pretty much crap when I was doing the 100 Challenges, and that I was crediting myself points for days that weren't so perfect.

My diet was okay but a little higher in carbs than I wanted. We went to a baby shower for some Indian friends, and the food was all vegetarian. This is the first time there has not been some chicken or lamb of some kind. Will be back on track tomorrow.

#5 k3vb0, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  6. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Diet was perfect today. I am getting hungry between meals, which I read in Chameleon's log is an indicator that you are burning fat. And since I am eating every 3 hours, I should not be that hungry.

I completed a bi/tri/shoulder workout and did a 1/4 mile "crutch walk." It is in the high 90's here in the Denver area, so I was competely soaked by the time I got back.

I am also getting a pretty good cardio workout in since my daughter just got her learner's permit. Sitting in the passenger seat while she drives makes my heart rate go up at least 40 bpm. Actually, she is doing very well and I am very proud of her.

7. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

My podiatrist removed my stiches and put on a new cast, which is much tighter than the old one. I am surprisingly sore tonight. My diet today was perfect.

8. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Workout
    Supersest : DB Bench/Wide Grip Pulldown 3 sets of 15
    Superset : DB Incline Bench/Seated Cable Row 3 sets of 15
    Lateral DB Raise 3 sets of 15

Diet : Spot on

Life : My achilles is much better today but still a little sore. Tomorrow I am going to try cardio....one legged rowing machine. I am going to wind up with one leg that looks like John Stone's, and the other that looks like.....well, mine. :cry:

#8 k3vb0, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  9. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Workout: First time for cardio in a while. I did one legged rowing on a Concept II Ergometer at work. I only did 15 minutes, but it felt great. I kept the bad leg in the foot straps as well and just let that leg come along for the ride. I am going to try and increase my time on this over the next week to 30 minutes at a pop. I hope to keep this gut from getting any bigger while convalescing, and maybe even lose some of it.

Diet: Perfect. Staying with high protein, medium fat, low carb, 5-6 meals

Life: I have to say thanks to my family for taking care of me while I am recovering. They are bringing me ice packs, carrying my food, and generally helping me do all of the things I can't do for myself.

10. johnhoefer

johnhoefer Active Member

Nice work. Must be tough. Good luck.

11. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

:lol:
    Good luck with the recovery!

12. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

6-30-07

Workout
    Supersest : Incline DB Curl/Rope Tricep Pushdown 3 sets of 15
    Superset : Hammer Curl/Wrist Curl sets of 15
    Hanging Leg LIfts 3 sets of 15
    Crutch Walk 1/4 mile

Life : I found another way to do cardio today. I can use my good leg to pedal, and just rest my casted leg on the other pedal. I get a pretty good workout with this, so tomorrow morning I am going to try for 20 - 30 minutees of fasted LISS>

13. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

7-1-07

Workout
    Cardio : Exercise bike, 30 minutes

Diet : Today was a refeed day after a week of low carbs. Surprisingly, I felt tired after having toast and grapefruit with breakfast...just like I would when having a high carb lunch.

Life: It was in the high 90s today, and I managed to get outside and catch some sun. My daughter is visiting her aunt and uncle in North Carolina, my wife was at a class, and I was stuck at home with no ability to drive or really get out of the house. So veeeery boring.

#13 k3vb0, Jul 1, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  14. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

7-2-07

Workout

Superset : Rotator Cuff Exercises
    Supersest : Smith Bench/Cybex Row 3 sets of 15
    Superset : Smith Incline Bench/Wide Grip Pulldown 3 sets of 15
    Lateral DB Raise 3 sets of 15

Life : I bought a BLackberry Pearl to replace my 2 year old Razr. Of course I wanted an iPhone, but there is no way I can justify $600 for one of those. I also noticed that people getting over $700 for these on eBay. I'm an early technology adopter, but that's a little obsessive to me.

My workout today was phenomenal. It was hot in the gym (the air conditioning at work is turned down to save energy and it was 100 in Denver), and for some reason I feel like my workouts are so much better when I work up to a dripping sweat. I think I will have to try Bikram yoga someday.

Getting a new cast tomorrow. Something is wrong with this one and it is causing pain on my incisions and making it difficult to sleep at night.

#14 k3vb0, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  15. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

7-3-07

Workout

Workout
    Superset : Incline DB Curl/Rope Tricep Pushdown 3 sets of 15
    Superset : Hammer Curl/Wrist Curl sets of 15
    Hanging Leg Lifts 3 sets of 15

Diet : Perfect
    Life : Got a new cast put on, which has made my achilles feel a lot better. Worked, and watched Hollywoodland. This is great flick.

#15 k3vb0, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  16. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

7-4-07

Workout
    Cardio : Exercise bike, 45 minutes, crutch walk (unipedal walk?) 1/3 mile

Diet :Today was a cheet day...and what a good cheat day it was. Lunch was the neighborhood 4th of July picnic in the park with BBQ pork, baked beans and potato salad. Dinner was bratwursts, potatoes and strawberry shortcake. MMmmmmmmmmmmm......:drool:

Life: Picnic with the neighbors in our park today, and then a quiet evening at home with my wife. I was thinking I shouldn't have any desserts today, but then decided that was bordering on obsessive. Eating right 95% of the time will still meet my fitness goals, and still let me enjoy holidays with my family.

17. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Workout
    Superset : Rotator Cuff Exercises
    Supersest : Bench/Inverted Rows 3 sets of 12
    Superset : Smith Incline Bench/Seated Row 3 sets of 15
    Superset : DB Military/Cable Crunches 3 sets of 15

Diet: Yesterday's cheat meal impacted me more than I expected and I was up to 210 in the morning after hovering around 205. Sooooooo......I cut calories for today.(P/C/F 198/78/39 1467 KCal). Surprisingly, I don't feel at all hungry.

Life: Worked from home today....mostly. It's difficult to work when most of my team was on vacation. So I cleared my calendar and tomorrow is a vacation day. :jumping:

#17 k3vb0, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  18. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Workout
    AM Fasted Cardio (exercise bike) 30 minutes, .8 mile crutch walk
    Superset : Incline DB Curl/Rope Tricep Pushdown 3 sets of 15
    Superset : Hammer Curl/Wrist Curl 3 sets of 15
    Hanging Leg Lifts 3 sets of 15

Diet : Kept calories and carbs low again today. (P/C/F 183/77/47 1325 KCal)
    Life : Monday is our 19 year anniversary, but we celebrated today instead. My wife has always wanted a scooter, so I bought her a Vespa today. She loves the retro look. I can't drive a car since my left foot is in a cast, but I can drive a scooter, so I got to drive it hom. It was surprisingly more fun than I thought it would be.

Attached Files:

#18 k3vb0, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  19. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Vespa's are cool! They're hot in Europe these days :cool:

20. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Yup, we used to live in England, and that's where my wife fell in love with them. And Smart Cars. Once those become easier to buy here, I know she will want one.