1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

ways to "hide" canned tuna taste...?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by SCHTEEVIE, Jan 24, 2004.

1. CaptainEvers

CaptainEvers Active Member

I used to squeeze a wedge (maybe 2?) of lime into the drained can of albacore.. Now, I just buy the Star Creations in a pouch.. My wife doesn't like it, but I love it.. Use it as a topping on low fat triscuits..

2. vertigo88

vertigo88 Active Member

Probably would depend on your diet, as far as carbs go, but I find canned tuna hides very well in veggie pasta sauce. I toss it in the sauce at the end if I don't have chicken or beef around.

Another way I enjoy it is tuna cakes. same idea as crab cakes, but I use oats, an egg, whatever spices you want and broil, bbq or slow pan fry. Works well and cheaper than crab.....but so not as good as crab.

3. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

You could always take a little time to prepare..

All I do is put in some EVOO and BBQ sauce, obviously this goes in a bowl and not directly into the can.

People will always ask you what you are eating, simply inform them and let them judge.

4. SWO LIFE

SWO LIFE Active Member

At work I take the minute rice quick microwave cups, 3oz of tuna and mix it with Texas Pete, though I feel the same as the author, I am kind of getting bored of this. By the afternoon it's not what I'm craving.

5. ashraf

ashraf Active Member

well the way i make tuna might just impress u ;)
    mix Tuna, chopped tomato, Onion & green chilly (1 or 2), sweet corn (tastes great with tuna) & Spinach.
    your Tuna salad is ready. It tastes great. have it with brown bread if you want. or eat it just like that.
    for much better taste mix it with yogurt.

Have fun.... cheers.

6. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Buy salmon. :lol:

7. snevensmores

snevensmores Active Member

Wow, you guys really pimp out your tuna (no pun intended). I'm too lazy to go through all the trouble that you guys go through.

I drain a can of tuna, put it on a plate, add non-fat cottage cheese to my desire, and put some salsa on top (I know the OP said he wasn't a salsa fan). Sometimes I'll put all of that on a bed of rice. I just pop it into the microwave until warm. The cottage cheese will melt a bit, too. Mmmmm....

8. GreaseVeteran

GreaseVeteran Well-Known Member

I eat my tuna straight out of the can with basil and healthy cooking oil e.g. Smart Balance Omega. It's the closest thing you can get to real tuna pesto flavor. :neener:

9. moltar

moltar Well-Known Member

How about red onion and mayo, pepper and salt to taste. Mash it all well together. Makes extremely delicious spread or tuna salad kind of deal :)

10. ConfuddledPanda

ConfuddledPanda Active Member

1/2 tin tomatoes
    1/4tsp cinamon
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    Pepper and salt to taste
    --Reduce for ~30mins

Add ricotta, spinach, pamesan, tuna

Tried it yesterday without the spinach, wasn't so bad. You can add the spinach to get that in there

11. andyv12

andyv12 Active Member

Hi there Schteevie,.Just 2 very simple ideas, have you tried apple cider vinegar? if you havent you will be pleasently suprised with a fresh crisp salad. Also what about yellow fin tuna, yes it does come in oil but wouldnt worry 2 much about that especially if drained, it does'nt have that dry bittery taste :eat:its great, it does cost a little more but i dont mind either. Hope this is of use .

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Tuna + mayo + avocado, mixed well is very nice :nod:

Also Tuna + mayo + corn relish is good too!

Tuna omlettes can be alright as well, grilled tuna, avo, cheese on wholemeal/grain bread is a treat.

13. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

No one mentioned egg whites and then rolling the tuna in oats and then cooking it?

You can make "burgers"!

Try this:
    1 can tuna
    1 Egg's worth of egg whites
    a few pinches of oats from your standard oatmeal can
    Diced onions/garlic/olives to your own taste
    salt/pepper/paprika

Remove the tuna from the can and put it in a bowl with everything above and fold in the eggwhites.
    Dont' throw away the can from the tuna can!
    When you've mixed everything in, push the mixture back into the can of tuna.
    Then use the can to cook the tuna in your pan with whatever oil/cooking spray you use on the pan.

The end result is a circular "burger" looking thing that tastes delicious!!

14. pin-up_girl

pin-up_girl Active Member

have you ever tried ceviche? the traditional recipe asks for fresh fish (it can be tuna), raw marinated in lemon juice but this takes a while, you can also use can tuna like I do :) tastes a little different but still pretty nice.

just chop some tomatoes, onions and cilantro, mix it up with the tuna and add lemon juice and a bit of salt, this is the simple fast version but you can also add carrots, cucumber, celery, clamato, tabasco sauce and avocado.

this is supposed to be eaten with tostadas or tortilla chips but since I can't eat that I just use a fork.

15. Primalman

Primalman Active Member

Im pretty simple in my eating habits. I grab a big bowl, toss in about 2 cups raw spinach, 1 diced tomatoe, diced red onion to taste, 1 can drained tuna packed in water. Sprinkle with a 4:1 ratio evoo and balsamic vinegar. Top it with a mess of fresh ground black pepper to taste and enjoy.

I also wanted to add that some posters are speaking of canned tuna, others of yellow-fin tuna. The latter comes uncook and not canned and is delicious, but much more costly than canned tuna.

When I do treat myself to a portion of yummie yellow-fin tuna, my favorit preperation is to get a skillt quite hot, liberally sprinkle blackening spice on both sides of the tuna. Spray pan with no stick cooking spray. Cook about 1 min on each side for a nice medium rare chuck of good protien that puts the best cut of beef to shame Imho.

16. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Had a coworker whose idea of lunch every day was 2 soft taco whole wheat tortillas, a can of tuna, and mustard. He'd open the tuna, drain it, then put 1/2 on each tortilla with some mustard, roll it up and eat it.

Don't think you can simplify it much more than that! :tu:

17. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Tuna and sea-vegetable soup is quite nice.