1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Water?How much is to much?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by piel2000, Apr 1, 2004.

1. piel2000

piel2000 Well-Known Member

I am not a big water drinker but i know in order for me to successfully lose my weight and feel good i will have do start being a water drinker. but my question is how much is to much? not sure if yall remember the college Frat. situation last year where a frat. recruit died from drinking too much water on his dare (or what ever they call it) they said he basically drowned from drinking to much water. so why i put myself in this situation is because when ever i drink water i usually do it in big consuptions (8oz. at a time)and almost always get nasea or sick.

2. piel2000

piel2000 Well-Known Member

yes and i am not meaning that i feel like i am dying. it is nothing like that.

3. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

4. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

I remember that story

I do know this. In a science class we studied death due to water comsumption (it was in our text books) called hyponatraemic encephalopathy . Try to say that fast five times! You have no reason to worry. In order for you to get to a point of unhealthy consumption you would have to drink upwards of a 20 glasses of water a day. In most cases dealing with fatalities the person drank over a hundred glasses!!! Since you aren't a fan of water (much like me) you probably will have a problem just getting down the standard 8 glasses. :p

What happens when you drink that much water is it lowers the amount of sodium in your blood stream causing brain swelling and brain damage. However, long before this happens you would get a stomach ache from too much water intake and then get nauseous and dizzy. That alone would cause you to stop! Good question! I hope I could help! :tu:

5. JimH

JimH Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. Sorry for butting-in on the women's forum, but I saw this from the main page and am interested myself.

I'd relax about the danger of too much water intake - it's not likely as one of the other posters has said. I think the rule is to drink a small amount every 20 minutes to keep yourself topped-up, not down a lot in one go.

For me, I tend to take a few mouthfuls every 5 minutes whilst I'm working out, and keep a sports bottle on my desk to sip at during the day. This works well and stops me from reaching for a snack, 'cos I always feel full!

6. alton

alton Well-Known Member

I read an interesting article about a year ago regarding water consumption - it focused on women in particular. They discussed the fact that more and more women are reporting problems with incontinence and that many of the cases can be attributed to over-consumption of water. As you all know, drinking water and lots of it has been touted heavily these past few years.

Embarassing, but true, I can totally relate. I started to drink tons of water about 2 years ago. I'm not even sure how much I drank but it was a lot. I started to have problems with leaking a little bit of pee. :o It was really annoying and rather embarassing. I always felt like I had to go to the bathroom and felt like I could barely make it sometimes.

I read the article and thought hmmm, maybe this could have something to do with it. I cut back on how much I drink and the problem disappeared. I've had days where I've gone back to old habits and started sucking down the water and the problem comes right back.

I know the question didn't really pertain to incontinence, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents since it has to do with the topic. Something to think about anyway........

Boy, that was embarassing!!!

7. xray

xray Well-Known Member

An add to Chim-Chim's reply, is that if drinking too much water, which amount size I do not know, the person could also be "drowning" due to "wet lungs" due to extra cellular water/water in the third space in the lungs. This would happen if you drunk to much over a very short period of time, since the interaction in the cells (diffusion with water and sodium) would not have time to react as it should. (As is the same thing happening in the brain in Chim-Chim's example, causing hydrocephalus=water brain)

I do not know how much 8 oz are compared to a liter, but I would not worry about trowing down one liter if I felt like needing it. The amounts being deadly are larger than that, besides, you'd feel awfully full, and not wanting to drink very much more than half a liter in one gulp. Lisa, I wish I was able to drink as much as 4 liters, that's a good day's work!! And healthy as anything!!

Alton; Your mucles in your bladder might be not as "elastic" as they are supposed to be, causing the "running over" when you fill the bladder too much/drinking more than you usually do. I believe that regular incontinence for "older" people appear whether they drink much or less, and they often drink less.. so the problem we "younger" females can have, are more due to less elasticity, often due to child birth. I drink alot, and have no problem, but then I have no kids. (May be you don't either, but then we are all different build, and can appear with different kinds of anatomic problems.)

A last input; I think it's great that you guys are intersted in and come up with comments/adwises, etc on the female forum. So keep on visiting us here :tu:

8. JimH

JimH Well-Known Member

Well, you know your conversations are usually at a higher level than ours :D

...but I really feel I'm in the ladies' restroom now :o

Alton, however embarrassing it was, I'm glad you shared that. It reminded me about 'kegel' exercises. They strengthen your PC (puboccocceygeus, AKA 'pelvic floor') muscles, which are responsible for control of all of that area.

Take a look at this Google search. There are a couple of links on the first page which mention the subject that you did as well as, um, other benefits.

I mention this because I don't think that these muscles are exercised by any of the others that we may do in our cardio or weight training routines, and I don't know about you, but I can't bear the thought that there may be muscles in my body that aren't toned :D

Hope that helps! Altogether now, squeeeeeze :D

9. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

you need to drink an insane amount of water to get sick from it..

i drink 6-8 litres of water a day

10. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

The minimum you can get away with is about 700ml per day, the maximum is somewhere over 20 litres. (Assuming normal kidneys and heart).

However, where is the actual evidence to back up the common goal of drinking 4 or more litres of water daily? I've never been convinced that there is great benefit from drinking excess water.

Andrew.

11. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

you can think of water as like being oil for an engine.

whats runs better, fresh oil, or battered down oil?

refreshing your body with fresh water is essential, and can make alot of difference.. more than you may think