1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Walcwlr's PSMF Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Walcwlr, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Walcwlr

Walcwlr Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I am a 36 year old male (almost 37 - Aug 8th). I am 6ft 2in tall and weight (as of this morning) 253lbs. I am the proud father of a 4.5 month old son. He is the major motivation for wanting to lose some weight. I want to make sure I'm still here while he is growing up.

I'll be doing a PSMF as well. I hope to stick to the traditional PSMF, but this is my first time doing such low cals as well, so we'll see how it goes. I have done low carb before, but not low fat at the same time.

Ok... Here are my starting stats.

Measurements

The stats below are from MyBodyComp.com. I entered the inches to the closest 3/4in, but I think they round the cm's, so the inches are tweaked a bit... still all good.

Age 36
    Sex M
    Height 74.02 in (1.88 m)
    Weight 254 lbs (115.00 kg)
    Neck 16.50 in (41.90 cm)
    Shoulder 48.50 in (123.20 cm)
    Chest 45.51 in (115.60 cm)
    Waist 42.76 in (108.60 cm)
    Abdomen 45.75 in (116.20 cm)
    Hips 42.52 in (108.00 cm)
    Thigh 29.49 in (74.90 cm)
    Knee 17.76 in (45.10 cm)
    Calf 17.76 in (45.10 cm)
    Ankle 10.75 in (27.30 cm)
    Arm 14.76 in (37.50 cm)
    Forearm 12.52 in (31.80 cm)
    Wrist 7.99 in (20.30 cm)

Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) : 2,151 cals/day

Lean Body Mass (LBM) : 186 lbs (84.44 kg)

Fat Mass (FM) : 67 lbs (30.56 kg)

Body Fat Percentage (BF) : 26.57 %

From my Tanita scale at home

Weight : 253 lbs.
    BF% : 32%

I would tend to think my BF % from MyBodyComp.com is more accuate since there are some many measurements, but I will list my daily Tanita BF% just for consistancy.

My workout

I'll be doing a Full body workout on M, W, and F. I'll try to do some cardio on T and Th is I can find the energy... We'll see.

1 to 2 sets of the following:

Reverse Crunches - 20 reps
    Crunches - 20 reps
    Prone Superman - 20 reps
    Sumo Squats - 10 reps
    Flat Bench - 10 reps
    Pullovers - 10 reps
    Shoulder Press - 10 reps
    Bent Over Rows - 10 reps
    Scull Crushers - 10 reps
    EZ bar Bicep Curls - 10 reps
    Seated Calf Raises - 20 reps

Supplements

All The Whey Protein Powder (1-2 scoops a day as needed)
    Costco Fish Oil (3g twice per day)
    Costco Multivitamin (Two per day)
    Costco Calcium + Vitamin D (500mg Calcium/400mg vD twice per day)
    Potassium Gluconate (198mg twice per day)

I'll be easing into a EC Stack. Once into it, I'll be doing a 25/200 stack 3 times a day. I am borderline high BP, so I'll be watching my BP.

My Meal Plan

This will be my typical meal plan. The chicken and Broccoli will be substitued with other lean Protein and Green Fiberous Veggies. I may substitue the morning shake with some Eggs as a Whey shake isn't very filling... I also got 2% fat Cottege chesse at the moment (cheap as Costco!), so I'll need to replace that with some FF Cottege Cheese when I'm done... Unless I can lose fat with that extra fat and carbs... we'll see.

Cals / Fat / Carb / Prot

7:30 - Single Vanilla ATW Shake - 111 / 1 / 2 / 22

10:00 - 1 cup Cottege Cheese - 200 / 5 / 10 / 28

12:30 - 1 Chicken Breast - 168 / 3 / 0 / 32
    1 cup Broccoli - 27 / 0 / 5 / 3

3:00 - 1 cup Cottege Cheese - 200 / 5 / 10 / 28

6:00 - 1 Chicken Breast - 168 / 3 / 0 / 32
    1 cup Broccoli - 27 / 0 / 5 / 3

9:00 - 1 cup Cottege Cheese - 200 / 5 / 10 / 28

Total Cals - 1101
    Total Fat - 22g
    Total Carb - 42g
    Total Prot - 176g

Temperature

I'll try to take my daily temperature to see how my metabolic rate is doing.

That's about it. Next post will have my beginning picts (If I can figure out how to post them...)

Mike

2. Walcwlr

Walcwlr's Starting pictures... View at your own risk!

Here are my starting picts. As you can see, I have THICK skin, so fire away!

Sorry for the size... Here they are.

[​IMG]

Mike

3. Walcwlr

Walcwlr's Daily Stats - Monday 7/19/04

Today's stats.

Weight : 253 lbs
    Tanita BF% : 32

Mood : Great

Energy : Seems fine right now. Didn't sleep real well, so I'm a little tired. Workout went fine.

Hunger : A little hungry. I get some Cottege Cheese in 40min!

Sups : Took my vitamins this morning. Took 200mg Caffine at 8:30am. Not taking E yet since I can't find my BP cuff. Won't take the E until I can check my BP. Probably heading to Walmart for a new BP cuff today.

Temp : Didn't take it. Can't find that either... Will look more tonight.

Hasta!

Mike

4. BamaDave

BamaDave Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting started! That's the hardest step to take.

I know this is unsolicited advice, but your diet looks very unbalanced and is also way way too low in calories. You should be able to eat double that number of calories per day and still lose weight. Also, try to eat more of a balance of lean protein, healthy fats (nuts, olives and olive oil, avocadoes, salmon, etc), and good carbs (whole grains, ESPECIALLY vegetables, and fruits). If you go really low on the calorie intake like this, you are likely to send your body into "starvation" mode and it will try to hold on to your bodyfat, lower your metabolism, etc.

I started out at 235 pounds in November 2001. I never ate below 2,000 calories per day, even at the beginning when I wasn't even exercising. I was down to 180 by May 2002.

5. Walcwlr

I know... That's what a PSMF is. It's short term, unbalanced. I'm giving it a try. We'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike

6. BamaDave

BamaDave Well-Known Member

:o Ooops, sorry about that. I guess I should read more carefully! :p I have never heard of a PSMF diet. Sounds like torture!

I know what you mean about wanting to be healthy for your child. I had high blood pressure and triglyceride problems before losing the weight, and I did not like where I was headed. At some point you clue in that tasty junky food isn't all that important in the big picture!

7. Walcwlr

So true!

8. Walcwlr

Daily update

Hello to anyone that is reading this...

Weight this morning: 250 lbs - Down 3 lbs from yesterday! :) I know it all water right now, but it is motivating!

Temp this morning: 97.6

Yesterday's totals :

Cals : 1178 (Target is around 1120)
    Fat: 27 - 21%
    Carb : 40 - 13%
    Prot : 193 - 66%

Was a little high on the cals, but I hope it doesn't hurt me. I did kinda feel light headed throughout the day. I didn't really feel hungry all day yesterday. I decided to add 1% milk to my late night shake (it was GOOOOD!) We'll see if the extra Carbs and Fat hurt. It's more of a treat this way. Hope I can continue with it. It was only 30 cals more than the Cottege Cheese I was going to eat. So I said, "What the hell! I deserve it!"

Workout :

I was going to try to do some cardio this morning, but my bed won the battle. The extra sleep felt good.

Mood :

Feeling good. Plenty of energy at the moment. I figure my body will adapt to the lower cals soon.

Sups :

Took my vitamins. Gunna stay off the EC until I can take my BP. I took my BP at Walmart during lunch yesterday (after a diet coke and a 200mg Caffine cap in the morning) and it was HIGH! 157/92 I bought an automatic BP monitor, but the wife is having a fit that I spent $60 on it. She says she'll find my old manual one. We'll see...

Overall :

We'll see how today goes. I was suprised that I didn't have my normal carb withdrawl headache yesterday. Maybe today is the day, or the Caffine helped. The 3 pound loss helps motivate me to continue. So far, not too bad.

Mike

9. Walcwlr

Daily update - Week 1, day 3 - 7/21/04

Hello again.

Weight this morning: 248.5 lbs - Down 1.5 lbs from yesterday! :) I know it is still all water right now, but it is still motivating!

Temp this morning: 97.1 (down from yesterday - a little worried)

Yesterday's totals :

Cals : 1254 (Target is around 1120)
    Fat: 37g - 27%
    Carb : 55g - 17%
    Prot : 169g - 56%

Was kind of off on everything. Still lost weight, so that is good. I tried Egg Substitute for dinner - GOOD STUFF. Will be a new staple. Lunch seems to be my biggest challenge. If I don't bring my own lunch, it's hard to maintain the right ratios. I'll bring my lunch today. Got to go make it now!

Workout :

I flaked! Had a bad night with the baby. Slept through my alarm. Will try to do the workout tonight.

Mood :

Feeling great. No problems at all. I do miss fruit though. Not sure how long I'll be able to do this without some fruit in my diet.

Sups :

Took my vitamins. Still staying off the EC.

Overall :

I'm happy with the weight loss. If I wasn't loosing weight daily, I doubt I would stay on this. Mentally, this doesn't seem healthy to me. A guy my size, eating 1200 - 1300 cals a day.... just doesn't seem right! And the absence of fruit. That's rough on me. It Summertime! Time for watermellon and shit!

A little worried about my temp... going down after only two days! We'll see how tommorrow looks.

Hasta!

10. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Hey Walcwlr, your log is very detailed and a pleasure to read. Do you plan on going the full 6 weeks ala Rangeball. Also, I don't think you need to worry about the cardio. Your deficit is already large enough. Good luck.

11. Walcwlr

Wow... a reader! Was actually going to stop posting. I'm posting on another board and just copying it here...

Yes, I plan on going 6 weeks, but my birthday is on Auguest 8th, so that will be a planed/unplaned cheat meal. Going to SUSHI! Might actually be good for me. Then it'll b another 3 weeks. Only change in the second 3 weeks is I may add in some fruit. I really miss it.

Update coming.

Thanks

Mike

12. Walcwlr

Daily Update - Week 1, day 4 - 7/22/04

Weight this morning: 247 lbs - Down another 1.5 lbs from yesterday! I'm liking that!

Total weight loss since 7/19/04 : 6 lbs

Temp this morning: 97.1 (same as yesterday)

Yesterday's totals :

Cals : 1139 (Target is around 1120)
    Fat: 21g - 17%
    Carb : 54g - 12%
    Prot : 176g - 62%

Diet was pretty good yesterday. Still a little low on Protein. Ate a whole can of green beans for dinner. Didn't realize how many carbs it had. But I think they are good carbs, and I still lost weight, so I'm happy.

Workout :

Going to go do it now. Energy feels fine right now... we'll see how the lifting goes.

Mood :

Feeling great. No problems at all.

Sups :

Overall :

I'm still happy with the weight loss. So far, it's pretty easy maintaining these cals. I haven't been hungry yet.

I'm off to lift. I have to walk all the way down stairs and into the garage! Home gyms are convienent!

13. Walcwlr

Daily Update - Week 1, day 5 - 7/23/04

Weight this morning: 246.5 lbs - Down another .5 lbs.

Total weight loss since 7/19/04 : 6.5 lbs

Temp this morning: 97.8 (up .7 from yesterday)

Yesterday's totals :

Cals : 1285 (Target is around 1120)
    Fat: 40g - 29%
    Carb : 49g - 8%
    Prot : 195g - 63%

Was high on cals. That Pork wasn't the best for me, but the wife already cooked it... so I ate it.

Workout :

No workout. Went to a Chiropractor this morning. First time. Pretty cool.

Mood :

Sups :

Overall :

I'm still happy with the weight loss. Still pretty easy maintaining these cals. I haven't been hungry yet. Was hoping for more loss on the scale this morning, but I take anything I can get.

14. Walcwlr

Daily Update - Week 1, day 6 - 7/24/04

Weight this morning: 246.0 lbs - Down another .5 lbs.

Total weight loss since 7/19/04 : 7 lbs

Temp this morning: 97.4 (down .3 from yesterday)

Yesterday's totals :

Cals : 1179 (Target is around 1120)
    Fat: 35g - 29%
    Carb : 13g - 4%
    Prot : 180g - 67%

Was real good on carbs today. Still going high on fat, but still losing. Will have to bring that down next week.

Workout :

No workout yet. Will be doing yard work. Will make that my workout.

Mood :

Sups :

Overall :

Still happy. I'll have to lower my fat to continue the drops. Next week, the water should be gone and the fat actually starts coming off!

15. Walcwlr

Still doing the same thing. Down 10.5 lbs in 11 days! Feeling great! Carbs are higher than when I did Atkins (about 20 - 50 per day) Still in deep ketosis. I seem to be moving more toward a typical low carb diet since I tend to eat more fat. Cals are still rarely over 1500.

Going well.