1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Very painful calf muscles

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Maxtor, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Maxtor

Maxtor Active Member

I haven't been training at the gym for very long, on Saturday I trained calf muscles (just 3 exercises, 3 sets each and 6 reps per set), Sunday they were a little tight but fine to walk on (I trained upper legs/hamstrings on the Sunday), Monday and today I haven't been able to move properly (I actually fell over when I got out of bed on the Monday, wasn't ready for the pain!), I have to walk on tiptoes to stop the pain uness I slowly stretch by trying to touch toes (it then feels a lot better for 10 minutes), upper legs have no pain at all.
    Have I torn something or just a newbie overtraining error that will heal quickly?

2. gnatz

gnatz Active Member

Welcome to the world of leg workouts. :)

My leg "pain" varies week-to-week. Last week, I felt as you do. My calves and hammies were feeling it big time. More so than the "usual" onset of pain that I get after my leg workout. Probably due to my new leg routine as it was time to change it up. It's all good though after a couple days of hobbling around (seems the second day after the leg workout was the worst). I'll be feeling it again the next couple days as today was leg day (just finished).

Try Icy Hot or something similar to help relief the pain a bit. Maybe some ibuprofen. I just purchased some ETS from AtLargeNutrition to see if that'll help reduce some of the muscle soreness after leg day.

Hang in there!!!

3. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I've gone through the exact same experience after doing Chad Waterbury's booster shot training. Have fun walking this week.

4. Hulking Lummox

Hulking Lummox Active Member

Ooof, yes, this happens. It's not the fact that you're new. If you are taking creatine it might exacerbate muscle cramping but it's hard to tell if that's not just the mind playing tricks. One time after a particularly grueling leg workout, I woke up during my sleep that night and stepped out of bed. Both of my calf muscles cramped as I walked about 3 paces and I literally had to propel myself back into bed to alleviate the pain. Strech 'em good is the best adivice I have. That and be thankful that it probably won't be as bad again until you change your routine.

5. smalltex

smalltex Well-Known Member

6. Maxtor

Maxtor Active Member

Cheers guys :)
    Never heard the term DOMS before.
    I went for a fast paced 10 mile ride last night (stretched first!), I have my saddle very high so didn't seem to bother the calves as they're in a tiptoe-esque angle. This morning they feel *much* better, still sore but I can walk flat footed, by the time Fri/Sat rolls around they should be feeling good in time to do it again :blank:
    Hope you're right about it not being as bad :)

7. Hulking Lummox

Hulking Lummox Active Member

It should only be 4-8 short weeks before that routine change when you will henceforth relinquish the ability to walk (again).

Live it up :D