1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Very confused about deadlift descript. on EXRX

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by NewSkin, Oct 5, 2005.

1. NewSkin

NewSkin Well-Known Member

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The difference is in the comments section. The deadlift dynamically works the lower body, but it also isometrically works the lower and upper back. Most people see great growth in both places.

There are two deadlifting factions: one says the deadlift primarily works the lower body, while the other says deadlifts work almost your entire back side (lower and upper body). ExRx is trying to stay out of the debate by offering both view points.

IMO, if you're not working near your max (less than 75% 1-RM), you're going to see less total body growth. If you're working closer to your max, you will see a lot more total growth. Both sides of the issue are right, it just depends on how heavy you're lifting.

And, with that, I'm off to do some serious Waterbury style heavy deads! :tucool:

3. NewSkin

NewSkin Well-Known Member

So what would be the maximum number of reps (assuming the last rep was failure or close to failure) most people could do to get the "total body growth" you are referring to?

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, most people can do about 8-reps with 80% of their 1-RM. So, 10 or less reps. Personally, I usually deadlift in the 2-4 range with a 4-6 weight, so I'm not going to failure, but still lifting very heavy.

5. Demon Knight

Demon Knight Well-Known Member

Hmmm...maybe its referring to stiff legged and normal deadlift:

Stiff-legged deadlift: Bend knees a little, keep back straight (you might have to push your butt out quite a lot) and lift weight using ONLY your lower back, try and keep legs in that fixed position.

Normal Deadlift: Same with stiff legged but use legs primarily to lower and lift the weight.

Its a very difficult exercise to do right....I know I sometimes get it wrong.

6. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

ExRx has seperate entries for the stiff-legged variations.