1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Velocity Diet Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by FratStaR, Nov 5, 2008.

1. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Hmm, in your case, I'd probably reverse the cycles and bulk first. The v-diet for me was just to kick my cut into gear, not as the only cut. The 10/10 eating and workout plan should mesh pretty well - it's pretty low calorie, even in the bulk, and there's no real measuring. Not to mention 2 cheats on cut weeks, and 3 on bulks. :)

2. threesideddice

threesideddice Active Member

So, you think if I do the cycles in bulk, cut, bulk, cut it'll give me the same affect. How do you think just straight bulking to 150 and then starting the program will work? I wish I had on more muscle over winter :-/, bulking in summer makes me feel like I'm defeating the purpose haha.

Anyway just so I don't high jack this thread only a few days guys....how are we not all in here posting pictures of the scrumptious HSM we are going to consume during transition or at least discussing our future endeavors.

It's been an interesting run and it'll be great to transition back into a normal healthy lifestyle, I hope you guys are seeing great results and I look forward to our before and after pics :-).

3. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I'm interested in trying the Velocity Diet Version 3.0 that just came out, but the supplement aspect of the program is such a bunch of complete and utter bullshit. They expect me to buy over $500 worth of supplements from them or else the diet supposedly won't yield results. What a joke. I'm thinking of just giving it a try and incorporating my own modifications in terms of supplementation.

4. LeftNut

LeftNut Well-Known Member

:) I'm a pretty big skeptic, but I'm not sure I would go quite that far.

I do believe that the main reason this diet exists is to promote the sale of their supplements, and to create lifelong customers. And I don't think you could get Shugart to honestly deny those facts.

Having said that, I have used many brands of protein powder and other supplements, including the ones advertised on this site, and I do believe Biotest to be the highest quality by far. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Their stuff is expensive. I went with their recommended supplements for my V-Diet for 2 reasons: my opinion of the quality, and the convenience. I may be the only one in this current JSF challenge to have used 100% of the recommended supplements, so you can substitute other products and get great results. I just didn't have the time or desire to do that.

Good luck if you decide to do it! Depending on where you're at and your goals, it may or may not be a good fit. I have seen quick results, and I'm sure they will stick. But I'm not sure it was worth what I went through for a month. I have had great results with other programs that took a little longer but were less extreme and easier to live with.

I will probably post a more detailed review later.

#144 LeftNut, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  5. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I've seen the diet and it looks like it would definitely work. The thing is with their latest version they had this thing where you type in your height, weight, age, etc. and they compile a supplement stack for you. It came out to $556. Then they proceed to tell you why you have to follow the supplementation that they recommend to a tee. That's where I call bs.

The Get Shredded Diet looks just as effective without the user being recommended to spend crazy amounts on supps.

Get Shredded Diet

6. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I tried the GSD for a week a while back. I couldn't hack it. I had never wanted Carbs so much in my life! I was moody all the time and tired as hell. I did it with all the supps.

7. LeftNut

Then do Get Shredded and start a challenge thread for it.

Nobody said you don't have a right to your opinion. Good luck.

I do know this--if I was 17 and knew what I know now, I would be putting all that teenage testosterone to work building muscle instead of worrying about ultra-strict fat loss plans. Unless I was bordering on obese or something, I would focus on other ways of losing fat if I was a little chubby.

8. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

So, unless I'm counting wrong, today is the final day for those of us that started on April 13th, right? Woohoo! :dance:

9. NCNBilly

Yeah, Pete - I wouldn't even consider doing the v-diet, in fact I think your age disqualifies you anyway, but I could be wrong.

Yep - finished up today. :) I owe $5 for my 'cheat' at the wedding. I planned it that way, so i wasn't really a cheat - however it's a good cause so I'm happy to do it.

My official weight this morning is 175.0, total loss of 14lbs. I've still got a small amount of pudge that I hope goes away with the two weeks of transition.

I'd like to express my thanks to all that took part in the challenge - it was so much easier doing it with the group and I hope we can hook up some more challenges. Can't believe its over! :)

10. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Billy, that's very decent fat loss for 28 days:nod:

well done , all of you, for completing the VD and good luck with the transition phase:claphigh:

#150 Jedi, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  11. LeftNut

I won't bore you with every statistic, but here are the noteworthy changes:

Weight went from 178 to 165, for a loss of 13 pounds.

Waist at navel went down 3 inches.

Waist at beltline went down 1 inch.

Arms, legs, no significant change.

shoulders, chest, up just a little (could be measuring inconsistencies).

The end pictures show much more definition and I am almost where I want to be in terms of fat loss. I still have a little more to lose around the midsection. My 32-inch board shorts now fit pretty loose, and my goal is to fit comfortably into my 31's with no male muffin-top spillover.

In terms of changes in food tastes and cravings, this is difficult to describe. I have experienced some major changes, but not quite how I expected. I can still remember how all those sugary foods taste, and I am not repulsed in the least by the thought. But I don't want to eat that stuff at all. I do crave healthier foods now. It's hard to put into words, but maybe more than my tastes changing, my perspective has changed. It is very real, just difficult to describe.

I am debating on posting the pictures until after the transition. If there is some improvement in the next couple weeks, I would rather just have one set of pics to post. I might like to work in a few tanning sessions before posting more pics too, heh.

The only deviation I had was when I needed to stop one of my Wednesday workouts for fear of a possible quad injury. But after a day of stretching I was able to finish that workout the next day and consumed half of a serving of Surge after.

Overall, I would say that this program is very good when you really need to lose some fat as quickly as possible without losing muscle. It was challenging, and generally uncomfortable. I know I am going to keep the fat off, in part because I don't want to do the V-Diet again!

I have had just as good results from other things I have done. In 2007 I rolled my own plan with healthy foods and some Waterbury training and I did just as well, but it took longer.

My transition will be pretty much by the book, with an extra HSM thrown in here or there if it makes sense. I am going to continue to lose fat until I reach my goal. Then I will probably let my body stabilize a little before I start putting on some mass while keeping in mind Shugart's Former Fat Boy principles.

Like Billy, I want to thank everyone who was involved with the challenge. The social aspect of this diet is key to compliance and success.

12. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Thank you, Billy, for getting this started and keeping us going.

Totally. :nod: Thanks to all of you for contributing your struggles and successes. It made a world of difference knowing I wasn't in this alone.

I'm down 19 pounds as of this morning. Clearly, some of that will come back with a return to solid food. But my clothes are fitting better. My lifts, aside from squats, improved or maintained. And I had just hit a squat PR before starting this, so I'm not surprised I couldn't keep that going with reduced calories.

Pros:
    Mindless cutting - no thinking required
    Rapid results
    Clean kitchen

Cons:
    Brain fog
    Some stomach discomfort
    Monotony

I certainly wouldn't recommend this diet for everyone. But it is a good way to break some bad habits and change the way you think about food.

13. NCNBilly

Interestingly enough, my weight is up substantially but I look and feel leaner. I had a huge salad for lunch, with about 3 oz of chicken and a hardboiled egg, and my PWO2 was 6oz of eye of round and 1/2c rice with a ton of veggies. I absolutely killed the workout - the 40 rep chinups were no problem at all, in fact I'll probably weight them next week. I did dips with a 45lb plate, which is 20 lb more than I was using during the diet.

If anything, I feel energized to continue my cut - the end of my 'transformation' is in sight, nearly two years later. :spaz:

14. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Any of you gentlemen have before and after pics? Congrats on making it a month. The fat loss #s certainly are impressive!! :tu:

15. threesideddice

Hey guys so I do have before and after pics and I've also got some number sI want to share (unfortunately the scale I've been weighing myself with isn't here anymore so my final number maybe off :-/) I've had finals this week so the last 2 days of shakes have been hard, 4 hours of sleep in 48 hours :-/, but i haven't deviated. I'm afraid my after pictures may look bad because I just haven't slept in a while, but i"ll upload them and post everything with numbers later.

16. LeftNut

I took after pics, and they show some good progress. But I am waiting to post any pics until after the transition is done. So in about a week and a half I plan to take some more shots and put them up.

17. threesideddice

Hey guys I'm doing the transition workout and realized there are no squats in it at all save the vburn challenge. Do you guys find this to be a problem at all?

18. LeftNut

Are you doing the intermediate workouts? I just took a peek at them, and it looks like the intermediate program has reverse lunges and deadlifts in the transition.

I wouldn't be concerned about that one bit.

19. NCNBilly

Nope, it's fine. If you are picking the correct weights with the RDL and lunges, you'll be fine without squats for a bit. I don't know what Chad has against back squats, but they aren't in many of his programs.

I can't believe that I'm still losing weight at a pretty good clip - I went from 178 on my last day of the vdit to 175.1 on the morning after a bunch of alcohol (dehydration I'm sure), then back to 179 the day after chugging a ton of water. This morning I'm at 176.2 and really leaning out.

My goal is not to undo my progress this weekend at the beach, but I'll be right back on the horse come Monday. I usually end up walking everywhere anyway...

20. LeftNut

Hey Billy, glad to hear you are still moving in the right direction.

Have you followed the transition guidelines strictly (well, except for the alcohol)? I started adding a second HSM sooner than the 2nd week; I think it was Thursday. Everything has been 100% squeaky-clean, and my calories have been just a couple hundred over V-Diet levels per day. 1600 calories on non-training days, 2000 on training days.

I gained the expected couple pounds back the first few days of the transition, and have gained about 1.5 since then. So I'm up 3.5 pounds from the end of the 28-days. This is a good thing, I am always happy to see the scale go up as long as my waistline isn't.

But I haven't been leaning out any more, which is what I want to do right now. I need to lose another inch around each of my midsection measurements, and it just ain't happening at the moment. My first instinct is just to keep going like I am, and let my body continue to adjust.

Any thoughts or suggestions? :)