1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Protein Shake advise

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by LincyChickUK, May 6, 2011.

1. LincyChickUK

LincyChickUK Member

Hi this is mt first post. I have looked through other posts but cant find the info I need. Im looking for a protein shake to have after a workout. It needs to be vegetarian (for those not too clued up, I do have dairy products).

Im worried by articles that mention bad things about Phenylalanine too.

If possible, could someone suggest an actual brand name for me and Ill pop off and buy it:D

Im in the UK:tucool:

Thanks in advance,
    Sarah

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Do you suffer from PKU? Only your physician can determine this. Phenylalanine is an amino acid found in all protein sources. But if you have PKU, it can build up in your blood and cause some detrimental side effects. If you don't have PKU, your body can easily metabolize phenylalanine.

Now, I'm confused.... If you can have dairy products, then why can't you use whey protein? Are you meaning you don't want to put a piece of steak or chicken breast in the blender with some crushed ice as a post workout shake? If you don't, you don't know what you're missing! Throw some grilled onions in there along with some glazed mushrooms, a little salt and pepper to taste, pour into a big cup, let rest for 10 minutes, garnish with some gently steamed asparagus tips and you've got yourself a great, nutritious shake! :D

Ha, just kid'n. :)
    Are you meaning the vegetable based protein powders like soy, pea, hemp, rice, wheat protein isolate? I wouldn't endorce any of them quite honestly, except for the wheat protein isolate. You may have an allergic reaction to the (gluten, soy, etc) and some of them like wheat protein isolate comes out with a gooey, gluey consistency. If you don't have any allergies to these products they might offer you what you are looking for, but I am unsure if these powders have a complete amino acid profile. But like I said earlier, if you can use dairy I see no issues with using whey, or a whey blend.

3. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

If you decide to go with the wheat protein isolate that Mastover suggests, don't have it with plain water. Wheat isolates have gotten better with time, but since you can have dairy, blend it up with some low fat milk and some fruit or something.

I've taken wheat isolates mixed with just water and it's nasty. Some of them not only have the nasty factor, but they are also gritty. If we had a puke smilie, now would be a good time to use it.

4. LincyChickUK

LincyChickUK Member

5. LincyChickUK

LincyChickUK Member

Made my own...

What do you think to this recipe...

Soya milk; about 75ml, tbsp low fat peanut butter, 1 egg and a banana? Wiz in blender, tastes good? :moon:

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the Flattering emoticons. :) Personally, without knowing your nutrition or goals, that shake above looks like crap. Especially for post workout. But first, I would get yourself a glass of warm milk, pop a couple of valerian capsules, eat a small sweet potato, and calm down before you blow a gasket or two. LOL

7. Eye-Licker

Eye-Licker Member

buy banana flavoured whey

peel 10 bananas and freeze them in a ziplock bag (or similar).
    25gr of banana flavoured whey, one frozen (important) banana, 350ml of low fat/skimmed milk.

both tastes great and works great. :tucool:

8. LincyChickUK

LincyChickUK Member

Hiya what brand name (purchased in the UK) would you recommend?

Sarah:cool:

9. Eye-Licker

Eye-Licker Member

well, I don't live in the UK so i don't really know any good UK based sites for supplements. but after googling and looking at a few sites i found this: http://www.cheapuksupplements.com/shop/product.php/972/90__protein

this one contains some casein as well, which has a much slower release compared to whey, making it more balanced and also a better option for meal replacement. personally i tend to feel casein can taste a bit synthetic at times.

if not, they also had ON's Gold Standard which is a bit pricier, but a very good 100% whey isolate. no banana flavour though. maybe the vnilla ice cream flavour would go well with a frozen banana? i should think so, at least. :drool:

10. LincyChickUK

LincyChickUK Member

Thanks for taking the time to do that :D

11. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Active Member

I'm with Mastover, if you can eat dairy, definitely use whey protein. I don't think casein is ideal for post-workout though, because of the slow digestion and I would try to find one that is just isolate.

I blend a banana with my morning shake and water (not much dairy in my diet). I think it tastes great with vanilla protein powder.