1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

When I read your journal, an advertisement pops up at the bottom for the HealthMaster blender. It is amazing how they target the advertising, based on your super healthy eating. :nod:

There is a 1/2 marathon in NYC this Sunday, the entry fee is $90.00. I was thinking they were crazy, but the event is sold out. :confused:

2. ameer

ameer Active Member

I know exactly what you mean. I used to wonder, "What happens when I get to the level of fitness I want? How do I workout then? What will my diet be like?"

I think everyone really comes to their own answer on that. For me I thought of it more long term and I've heard so many times how important it is for adults to exercise at least 3 times a week. Well when I wasn't doing anything I really wasn't doing anything and I'm like you unless I have a fitness goal that I'm shooting for it's easy for me to get distracted.

My answer came down to just keeping it up. Making it a long term part of my lifestyle. I've decided that if I have done it for the last 5 months why not keep it up indefinitely. I'll only get good things out of it and feel better for it. Why not?

So I don't think I'll keep up this level of intensity forever, but I can definitely see keeping up my fitness long term and live a longer happier life for it. Good luck and congrats on all the progress you've already made!

Since you're in a good exercise habit even during your week off it's not a bad idea to keep up the consistency. Weights and cardio. When I take my rest weeks I have come to work out with 50% of the weight and just keep everything very moderate. Not pushing anything. It feels like a good way to stretch everything out, feel the movements more, and work on form. Plus I am keeping up a good habit and not letting myself get out of the mode. In the past the week back has just been tremendous and I can definitely feel that my body has had plenty of recuperation. Just a thought, since you're having the "urge".

3. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

I found that after getting into the shape I wanted it took me almost as much work to maintain it as it was for me to get there.
    Because I was very lean I was more hungry then I am right now (even though I ate the same way I eat now)... so in a way.. it's easier for me to get there then it is to maintain it.
    Messed up, isn't it?

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks--always a pleasure to read your journal.

:lol: I hadn't noticed. If I start seeing tofu ads, I'll know the computers are starting to get smarter than I am...

That blows my mind, and it's that kinda stuff that thinks sometimes we're just not going in the right direction in this country. :blank:

Thanks, ameer! I'm definitely taking a long-term approach, too. It's just interesting to me that I've noticed that every time I get approximately this lean, I quit working on it and don't take it any further. But that's the old me. The new me is taking it further. :D

Thanks---if I indeed cave in to the urge to lift this week I'll give this a try. I definitely want to make sure when I'm back in the swing of things I'm fired up and totally rested.

:lol: That is kinda messed up.

Third consecutive day of rest. I spent it watching the NCAA tournament. Pitt won. :tu:

I'm giving some consideration to moving to a 5x5 type program when I resume lifting. I'll have just under 3 months until a forced break for a long vacation and that seems about right for that.

Today's nutrition:

1. .5 c oats, .4 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. 2 scoops protein powder, 1 c carrots
    3. 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt, apple
    4. 2 scoops protein powder, .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    5. 7oz tofu, 8oz broccoli in soy/rice vinegar/garlic sauce w/1 oz cashews
    6. apple crisp made w/splenda, almond milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good day today. Wife and I took a day trip to Bellingham and walked around. I can imagine living there one day. Nice place. Got back in time to see the Huskies win and advance to the Sweet Sixteen.

Today's nutrition:

2. 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt, 1 c carrots
    3. Premier protein drink
    4. Lentil-edamame stew
    5. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. Apple crisp (made w/splenda)
    7. Milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:

[​IMG]

6. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

Huskies looked good yesterday! Gonna be tough to get past Kentucky. I'd also add WVa but the Big East is playing like garbage right now. I'm hoping Syracuse saw what happened to Kansas and doesn't mess around today.

7. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Go for it. :nod: There are plenty of good programs that will serve you well. And now's a good time to jump into one, since you're cutting back your mileage. :bb:

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It looks like they've finally put it all together. At least I got one team through...it's wait til next season for Pitt.

Let's hope it all goes to plan. :nod:

I have it in my head that I'm going to wait until Saturday to start lifting again and I'm looking forward to it. The rest should be great for my body.

I'm curious what my measurements will tell me tomorrow since I haven't been working out. I'm hoping to at least hold steady since I've kept my nutrition steady.

Today's eating:

2. 1 c 2% cottage cheese w/1 Tbsp organic salsa
    3. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    4. Apple crisp (made w/splenda)
    5. 1 c Lentil-edamame stew
    6. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    7. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey

Macros:
    [​IMG]

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Doesn't seem like there's much to talk about when I'm on a rest week. :)

78th consecutive day of clean eating:

2. Apple, 11oz premier protein drink
    3. 1 carrots, 1 c 2% cottage cheese w/1 Tbsp organic salsa
    4. Almond milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Spiced carrots & lentils w/Greek yogurt
    6. Almond milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:[​IMG]

Oh. Tonight is measurement night. I will have something to report. I'll just update this in a few hours when that's all done. :doh:

Measurement Update

Happy news. Weight stayed the same. Other measurements mainly went down. I'm still aware that measurement error can play a role in this, but I'm starting to notice a trend.

Bicep: stayed the same at 34cm
    Chest: down to 87.5 cm from 89 last week
    Belly (at fattest point, but sucked in): 75.5, down from 77 last week, 79 the week before, and 86.5 on Jan 25. That means I've lost 11cm, about 4.5 inches, from my belly in the last 8 weeks. Sweet.
    Thigh: Down to 50.5 from 51 last week.

Weight: no change, 145, same as last week. Total loss is 10 pounds in 11 weeks.

Bodyfat percentage: came out to 13.37%, a significant drop from the last 4 measurements which all put me somewhere between 14% and 15%. I'll know whether this is an outlier after a few more weeks, I guess.

#169 ianmez, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  10. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Hey there!

Can I ask you to post some simple clean vegeterian dishes sometimes as inspiration?
    I used to be vegeterian for many years (about 14) but when I started working out I had hard time eating that much protein so I slowly added meat to my diet. I want to now experiment with lower protein intake/higher carb diet and see how I progress.

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, can do. Just give me a few days and check back. I'll look around for a few that we have the most often and stick 'em up here. For dinner I generally have either eggs, tofu, lentils, or beans.

Breakfast is the same every single day: Oatmeal with less than half a cup of blueberries and 2 Tbsp flaxseed and cinnamon.

Lunch is typically either Chobani brand Greek yogurt (100 cal, 18g protein) and an apple and 5.5 oz of cooked broccoli or 1 cup of 2% cottage cheese instead of the Greek yogurt.

I also frequently drink protein, either by making a smoothie w/ 1 cup of almond milk, about 1 c of frozen fruit (I buy a blend of peaches, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, and honeydew), protein, 1 Tbsp of natural PB and cinnamon or by drinking a protein drink made by a company called Premier when I'm at school and unable to make my own.

When I want a snack I mix together some oats, natural PB and a small amount of organic honey. Otherwise I have raw vegetables.

So the only real recipes I make are for the dinner meal. I'll post some each for lentils, beans, eggs, and tofu. I consider them all to be "clean," although I don't freak out if they have a tsp of sugar, flour, cornstarch, or sesame oil or a small amount of cheese. I guess it's just a matter of how clean you really want to be with what you're eating. In most cases you can probably substitute or make small changes to suit your needs and still preserve the spirit of the recipe. Anyway, I'll get some up soon. Thanks for stopping by!

12. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Good job on another successful week!

13. ameer

ameer Active Member

Second that. Happy about the good news on what looks like a successful week of rest.:nod:

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! I think I've discovered the secret...quit working out and I gain lean body mass. Too bad I miss working out or I could get used to this. :blank:

Day 79 finished. Today's meals:

2. 1 c carrots, 11oz Premier protein drink
    3. 6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt, 5.5oz broccoli, apple
    4. Spiced carrots and lentils
    5. Almond milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. 2 scoops protein powder, .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey

Macros:
    [​IMG]

My wife leaves tomorrow for an arts festival and will be gone until Sunday. Normally that would be cause for Burrito Loco one night, pizza another, and maybe Thai food a third, but this time I'm totally, 100% locked in. I've got basketball to watch and a fridge full of broccoli, carrots, and apples. I'm good to go.

15. livedog

Hopefully that will happen on my rest week next week.

Sounds like a solid plan :tu:

I saw in the Spring Training Challenge that you are going to start a 5x5 program. Have you decided on which one?

16. ameer

ameer Active Member

:confused: Yeah, somehow I don't think it would work out too well long term. :D:nope:

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm gonna take the Stronglifts plan and make a few changes to it and see how it goes.

Instead of the inverted rows, I'm gonna do T-bar rows (since I just like doing those). And I'm gonna do them 5x5. Also, I think I'm going to try to do more deadlifting than just 1x5 each week. I'll keep an open mind and back off if it's too much. But I might start out with 5x5 at the lighter weights and then back off as the weight starts to pile on. I think I'll also start bench press at 75 or something instead of just the bar, since when I finish up in mid-June (when I'm leaving on vacation), I think I'd only be up to 135, and that shouldn't be very much off what I could do right now. And I want to do dips instead of pushups, so I'm just gonna do dips. And I'll probably do various ab exercises intead of just sticking with what SL recommends.

But I'm open minded about it. And good insights from your experience?
    I have a sneaking suspicion you're right.

I need to eat more tonight. I'm only at about 1000 calories for the day. Yikes.

Good day today otherwise. 70 degrees out and gorgeous so I went for a run around the lake. I didn't time myself, but I pushed the pace and it was more challenging than my normal runs. It was somewhere in the 25 to 30 minute range for about 3.2 miles.

Nutrition (such as it was):

2. 11oz premier protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt, 5.5 oz broccoli
    4. .5 c lentil-edamame stew, .5 c spiced lentils w/carrots

More food to follow. I'm hungry. But it's late, so no pretty macro screenshot today.

5. Milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. .5 c oats, 2 Tbsp natural PB, 2 tsp organic honey

Okay, I lied. Here it is:
    [​IMG]

#177 ianmez, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yikes. :lol:

It is great you have the energy to run on 1,000 calories.

Your diet continues to impress.

19. livedog

You've been working out regularly for a while, so I don't think you would need to start with just the bar. In my case, the biggest part of the reason we did was that my workout partner had only been working out for about two months before this and we thought we would both benefit from being able to get the form down before the weight started coming up.

I'd say dips vs. push-ups is your call. I personally like push-ups better as I feel like they hit my chest more and that is an area I need more size and strength in.

Since, I believe, you were doing them before, I don't see any reason why you couldn't increase the sets of deadlifts. We stuck with 1 simply because it was something that was new to us. We did make the mistake of only increasing the weight by 5# a workout rather than 10# because we both misread what it said on the site.

Unless you've tried them and hated them, I would recommend at least trying the inverted rows. I don't know all of the in-depth kinesiology, but I felt like they hit places in my upper back and shoulders that rows didn't. Plus, they were, for me, a lot hard than they looked.

Again we stayed with the recommended ab work, but I did miss the additionally stuff I was doing before starting Stronglifts. Overall, I feel like I got a lot more strength and muscle development, particularly in my chest and shoulders, than I had gotten in the previous 3-4 months of working out. I believe part of it is due to the exercises and the order of them and also to the mental aspect of knowing that every workout I will be adding weight.

We liked it enough to stay with it after the twelve weeks, but with a few additions (a couple of leg things geared to runners, more deadlift sets and more core work). I look forward to hearing what you think as you go.

I finally bought some Greek yogurt after reading your recommendation. I bought Vanilla (I think), but I haven't tried it yet.

20. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

How does Greek yogurt taste compared to regular yogurt?