1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! I'm planning on it. Thanks for the info on the Garmin watch. I'm thinking it might be fun for this summer when my wife and I are hiking a lot, too.

Thanks, thanks. :o Glad to hear that work seems to be going well and you're still on top of all of your fitness goals!

Indeed, and thanks, hope your weekend is great, too.

Good day today. Two good workouts, time with friends, and a Husky win in the Pac-10 tournament championship means both my schools are dancing this week.

This morning was the "pull" workout. I decided that I'm going to back off on deadlifts and lower the weight quite a bit and move up very slowly, keeping my form perfect the whole time I move up. I find that my form is a bit jerky, and I'd like it to be smoother to make sure I'm getting what I need out of it and also to reduce injury risk. All exercises were good today. My back felt strong despite the additional weighted pull up work it got on Thursday.

In anticipation of tonight's meal, I made sure I logged an hour on the treadmill. It turned into 65 minutes because I watched the second half of the Husky game. :claphigh:

Time with friends was wonderful as always. So, the scoop on their "pizza": no cheese at all. Not even soy cheese. They just took the crust and piled veggies and things on it. To be honest, it was kind of gross: squash, mushrooms, basil, artichoke hearts (so far so good...but wait for it...) shrimp, and pineapple. They claim to be vegan but they eat shrimp. Which is okay with me, I'm not judging it. But the shrimp/pineapple added to a pizza without cheese just wouldn't have done it for me. Glad we had our own--whole wheat crust, part-skim mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, squash, mushrooms, and basil. I limited myself to just one piece. I also had a cup and a half of a fruit salad I made: Asian pear, apple, banana, kiwifruit, strawberry, pear, toasted cashews, currants, and some flaked coconut. Good stuff.

I still consider my meal today to be within my plan parameters, so another day of clean eating:

1. .5 c oats, .4 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. PWO, 11oz protein drink, .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    3. 5.5 oz broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese
    4. Almond milk, frozen fruit, protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. 1 slice Veggie pizza on whole wheat crust, 1.5 c mixed fruit salad w/cashews, currants, and coconut
    6. Almond milk, frozen fruit, protein smoothie w/11 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:
    [​IMG]

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going on the workout and keeping your diet under control yesterday.

Form is king so your decision to focus on that with your deadlifts is right on the mark. :tu:

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Ianmez,
    I should ask you, what is the recipe? (amounts of ingredients, besides I tablespoon of peanut butter). I went to the store today to buy the frozen fruit, it was closed because of no electricity (last night there was a storm here). The universe is against me having this shake.:lol:

One slice takes real discipline. :claplow:

Was there at least tomato sauce on their pizza. If not, don't know if it can properly be called a pizza. :D

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    1 c almond milk
    1 c (which I think is 80g) frozen fruit
    2 scoops (1 serving) protein powder
    1 Tbsp natural PB
    .5 tsp cinnamon

Blend it.

The frozen fruit I use is something Costco carries called "Spectrum Blend." It's a mix of frozen peaches, white peaches, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, honeydew.

I use "Premium Protein Blend," something else I get at Costco. It's about 150 cal for 2 scoops and 26g protein. It's allegedly a blend of whey, egg, casein, soy, and maybe one other type of protein. Prior to using that product I used EAS brand, which was an equivalent...but Costco stopped carrying it.

5. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

That's the kind of stuff we are thinking, too. We will probably do our weight routine twice a week and add this instead of the current third workout we do. I'm not familiar with crossfit, so I'll have to look into that.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks--it's good to get that kind of feedback. I feel like I want to put up more weight but I think this is for the best in the long run.

Thanks! I'm just really locked in right now I guess.

It did at least have tomato sauce. Otherwise it just would have been dough with a bunch of stuff on it. But no cheese? :confused:

If you learn anything about crossfit, I'm curious what you think. I don't know all that much about it, but it sounds pretty cool to me. It's a lot of "going all out" doing a bunch of somewhat unorthodox exercises, at least the way I see it. Last time I read about crossfit, I remember a bunch of exercises involving homemade kettlebells, tractor tires, climbing up trees, and sprinting. I also recall reading about people vomiting during workouts which alternately appeals to and horrifies me.

So, I think I'm reaching the limits of how far I want to be running at the moment. I added another loop to my run today and ended up doing approx 15.5 miles in 2:31. I could have toughed out one more loop beyond what I did, but I felt like I was shuffling toward the end. I'm not training for anything particular, so I keep asking myself why the hell I'm pushing myself with the long runs. I guess just because it feels good. Well, in a way it does. My plan is to back off a little on the long runs and stay in the 2 to 2.5 hour zone for the time being unless I can think of a reason not to. I also want to start thinking about getting faster, so maybe I should put more of my running energy into that for now. I think I'm getting a pretty good base of mileage built to where I can soon do some intervals without risking injury.

Weather was great. Low 50s, lots of people out and about, overcast, slight breeze. It feels like spring.

Here's the playlist that kept me company:
    [​IMG]

I tried to eat big today. Not sure if I got as many calories as I should. I stressed adding more carbs, hence the entire sweet potato pre-run as long as the GU packets and Gatorade during the run itself.

The veggie tacos turn out well and I can see making them again sometime, especially on days I run long and want a bunch of carbs. They don't have much protein so I can really only eat things like that on days I'm planning on having a lot of carbs anyway.

One thing I'd like to do in the future is have more of these meals before the run instead of after.

Here's the rundown:

2. 275g sweet potato
    3. Milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    4. 2 GU packets (Chocolate Outrage) and 16oz Gatorade
    5. 2 bean tacos w/cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato in hard corn shells
    6. Milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothe w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    7. Chobani Greek yogurt w/.5 c chopped cucumber
    8. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    9. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:
    [​IMG]

Today was my 70th day of clean eating and working out. I'm still going strong!

7. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ten week anniversary today. W00t.

It was also measurement day. The scale says I'm down another 2 pounds to 145, making a total of 10 pounds lost in 10 weeks. The body fat calipers aren't quite as kind, and there is virtually no change in my body fat for the fourth straight week that I'm testing it. I still come in at about 15%. I know part of it is the vagaries of the calipers, as my wife isn't a pro at using them at the measurements end up a little scattered. I'm not sweating things too much. I'm adding weights to my lifts, looking leaner, and the tape measure shows a steady reduction in my fattiest part, my abdomen. It would sure be nice to see the bf measurements creep down, too, though.

But seriously, as long as I keep getting stronger and my belly keeps shrinking, things can't be too far off. Right?

Easy 60 minute run to follow up that long one yesterday. Back to the gym tomorrow.

My last classes of this quarter were today. Next quarter it's full-time student teaching. It's gonna be a grind.

Today's nutrition:

2. 1 c carrots, 11oz premium protein drink
    3. 5.5 oz broccoli, apple, 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt
    4. .33 c soy nuts
    5. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. Egg white/cheese omelet w/salsa, mashed cannellini beans w/sage & garlic
    7. Milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:
    [​IMG]

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thats my thinking.

Thanks for the recipe.

9. livedog

Congrats on all of the hard work!

I think that's the attitude we all should have.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks!

Let's hope we're right! :p

No worries--I hope you're able to finally make it one of these days!

In ten weeks I haven't missed a strength training workout. I've missed only 2 runs. I think it's time for some time off. I can feel that my body needs to recover a little bit. It's been at least a decade, really, since I've pushed my body this hard and I think taking a break from the intense physical activity is a really good idea at this point.

I first thought about this after the 15 miler on Sunday when I wondered WTF I was out there pushing myself like that for. I'm not training for any specific race. So, one change will be that I won't be adding any more distance to my runs. Instead, I'm going to concentrate on gaining speed instead of adding distance. I'll shoot for a fall/winter marathon if that's indeed what I want to do and for now put the emphasis on getting faster. That doesn't mean huge changes, except that I'm going to dial the weekend's "long run" back down to 9 miles. I might work back up to 15 again, but I'll just see how this goes. What I won't do is start with 15 and add progressively more distance to it. In April I'll also start adding interval workouts to my running routine.

During this time of rest I'll likely continue to run. But I'm going to limit myself to workouts of no more than 30 minutes. I like having the physical activity during the day, honestly.

But I'm going to take about a week and a half off from weightlifting. I'll start again a week from Saturday, the 26th. I'm also thinking about returning to a 3 day split instead of a 2 day split. I think I'll go back/bis, chest/tris, legs/shoulders.

I'm not going to screw with my diet much, except to slightly reduce calories to account for the fact that I won't be burning as many each day. I'll stick with eating clean foods...no need to change that.

My hope is that between the actual recovery my body will get by taking the time off from the workouts added to the amount of time I'll add to each day, I'll feel rested and ready to get back to it on the 26th.

I've been kicking this decision around for a week or two but reached it for sure today when I had a tough time again with bench press.

If I get back into things on the 26th, I should have 11.5 weeks until it's time to leave for vacation in mid-June. I might even give myself another week off in the beginning of May.

#150 ianmez, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the ten week mark. Results are always nice and ultimately what we're all after, but in the short run as long as I know that I've been true to the process then I'm satisfied because I know that good things will follow.

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, Paul. I'm putting my trust in the process.

Back to the grind again tomorrow, but without exercising. It's going to feel weird.

Today's nutrition:

2. almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie
    3. PWO, 11oz premier protein drink, .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    4. Egg white omelet w/cheese and organic salsa & mashed cannellini beans w/sage and garlic
    5. almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. apple crisp sweetened w/splenda--apple, oat/canola oil topping, cinnamon

Macros:
    [​IMG]

13. livedog

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. I have come to think that a rest and recovery week occasionally is an integral part of the process, not just physically, but mentally.

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I know I can definitely use the break. It feels totally strange not to work out today, but I think I'll be happier in the long run.

When I got home from student teaching today my wife asked me if I wanted to go out to eat. It's been months since we've done that. Man, was I ever tempted...but I said no. We had tofu instead. :lol:

At the time her comment sort of cracked open the door to the idea of all kinds of foods I haven't been eating. I started thinking things like, "Well, I told myself I was going to rest from exercise for a while, would it be a good idea to rest from my nutrition plan, too?" But then I got a grip on myself in a few seconds and pushed aside the thoughts of pizza. And Thai food. And Ethopian food. And ice cream. And all the other stuff I'm not gonna eat while I'm making smart food choices.

I've been thinking about the amount of running I'm doing and I think it's likely that it's contributing to why I need a break. I do love to run and I've been enjoying pushing myself, but I think instead of getting rest on days that I'm not working out, my body is getting pushed. So not only does my body require more calories to fuel itself (which it's probably not getting every bit that it needs, honestly) on days when I run, but it's not getting as much rest, either.

I'm still not ready to completely stop running for the time being, but I really am going to dramatically curtail it. Smack me if you see me running a lot, please. The thing is, I was making great progress without running copious amounts. I was losing lots of fat, but hardly any weight, and I was gaining strength. Now I'm not gaining strength quite as quickly (chest/shoulders have stalled, but I'm still doing ok everywhere else). The belly fat is still coming off, but my bodyfat is the same leading me to believe that I'm losing lbm, too. I'm at 145 now and don't have a huge desire to weigh less than 140. Ultimately, I'd like to weigh about 150, but that's a bulk or two or three away. In the meantime, I want to hang onto the muscle I've got. So that means the running goes on the backburner. I'll still do some. In fact, I'll probably get back into it again this summer when I'm back from vacation and contemplate marathon training. But for now, I'm going to give myself some much needed rest and stay under 20 miles for each week.

I promise.

Today's nutrition:

2. 11oz premier protein drink, 1 c baby carrots
    3. 6 oz Chobani Greek yogurt, 5.5 oz broccoli, apple
    4. 7oz tofu, .5 red pepper w/spicy peanut sauce
    5. almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. Apple crisp w/oat topping made w/splenda

I'm a little hungry so I might add slightly to this before I go to bed. The macros:
    [​IMG]

15. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Congrats on the 10 weeks! That is great! Man, that run you did was great!
    You should think about doing some races soon! I hope that you have a good week off. Rest, relax and get ready to kill it again!

16. livedog

This is a daily occurrence at my house...except the tofu ;)

You've been running a lot (and making great times and progress), but if you aren't training for something specific, I think you might be right in backing down if it doesn't fit completely in your fitness plan right now.

17. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

We're our own worst enemy sometimes huh? Way to go for nipping that in the bud :tucool: I get the occasional thought like that, sometimes out of the blue. In the past I'd just give in and eat and then feel bad later. Now I don't let myself do that-I am in control.

Congrats on 10 weeks!! :claplow:

18. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Here are some interesting articles about vegetarian/vegan diet:

http://jasonferruggia.com/vegan-muscle-building/

http://jasonferruggia.com/my-diet/

http://jasonferruggia.com/the-high-protein-myth-exposed-again/

19. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

Hey bud, thanks for stopping by my journal and giving encouraging words. Love the avatar by the way.

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks David! My new thinking is that I want to wait til this summer to try any races. I'm going to see if there is still that half marathon at Point Defiance...actually I just did some searching and I don't think there is. It was awesome...only $12 to run it. I wish there were more races like that. It seems like sometime in the last five years or so every race went from $10 or $20 to $50 or more. Ouch!

I think I'm just going to focus on getting faster over moderate distances instead of worrying about longer runs. If I keep all of my workouts to under an hour I hopefully won't take such a toll on my body, I'll still be able to get in great CV shape, and I won't take up a huge chunk of one weekend day.

Thanks, thanks! It does feel awesome to be in control. When people ask me (in incredulous tones) "How do you do that?" I totally eat that up, even though by this point I'm just used to making good choices and it's not such a huge deal.

Thanks Maya. The links are nice to read. It's good to have the affirmation that it's possible to build muscle without eating meat. So far I think I'm doing okay. My plan is to get somewhere in the 120 to 150 g per day range, which is .8 to 1 g per pound of my bodyweight. I don't freak out if I get a little bit more or a little bit less than that.

Not working out still feels strange. It's like I have to force myself not to do it. I'm keeping my nutrition solid, though, and that feels good. Today was day 74. I'm at the point now where I'm about as lean as I've ever been. I've been this lean quite a few times, but have never been able to bust through to the next level. I've never put together a consistent effort to try it, however. Every time I got to about this level of fitness I'd back off for one reason or another and slowly fade into unfitness. Not this time. This time I'm going back after it and I have about 11 weeks to work on it before vacation in June.

Today's nutrition:

2. 1 c carrots, 11oz premier protein drink
    3. 5.5 c broccoli, apple
    4. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Tofu w/red peppers in spicy peanut sauce
    6. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

[​IMG]