1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Got it, now I know the secret! Thanks for the wishes, I am hoping that I will have a good race, I am not sure what to expect for a goof time. We shall see! :nod:

Very nice on getting the run in when you couldn't in the morning!!

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I've noticed that my chest and shoulders seem to feel weaker with every workout. I don't know why this is, since I'm feeling just fine with everything else. But it's not only that I put less weight up each time, it's just a general fatigued feeling. Like today, I was carrying dumbbells around to do some step-ups, and my left shoulder was aching like hell. They were just 25 pounders, so I thought I should be able to tote them around for a long time. So that sort of signaled to me that maybe my chest and shoulders are just plain wearing out a bit.

I haven't completely decided what to do about it. I think my course of action is going to be to quit doing chest and shoulders for a little while and see if I recover. I don't want to stop everything altogether since the rest of my lifts are just fine. So I'll skip the upper body portion of next week's "push" day and see where I am again in two weeks. I've only taken 2 days off in nearly two months, so I'm not surprised that I'm feeling some fatigue. I'm only surprised that it seems isolated to my chest and shoulders. I think I'm going to consider to continue doing dips, though. Or maybe not.

Other than the chest/shoulder weakness, today was a grand day at the gym. I've decided I don't really love the step ups and will just return to the normal lunges next week. Maybe I'll tackle the step ups again with heavier weights in the future.

Nutrition clean again:

1. .5 c oats, .4 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. PWO: 11oz premier protein drink, .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    3. 1 c carrots, 1 c 2% cottage cheese
    4. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Feta cheese and dill omelet with zucchini and grape tomatoes
    6. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:
    [​IMG]

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I've got a super long day tomorrow: up at 5 to run, then to school for student teaching all day, then immediately after that to a 3 hour networking/resume prep/mock interview workshop on campus, and then immediately after that to a writing group meeting. Whew. Tonight I've got to make sure I pack enough food for tomorrow--it's got to get me from breakfast until I can have my last meal of the day here at home.

I sat down this week and put together some fitness goals to achieve by June 17 (the day before we leave on a 3 week vacation). They center around squats, deadlifts, weighted pullups, dips, and pushups. I might skip the pushups goal if I continue to struggle with my chest and shoulders. But by mid June I'd like to be able to squat 215, deadlift 225, do 10 pullups with a 25 pound weight, do 50 consecutive bodyweight dips, and 100 consecutive pushups. They all seem pretty attainable to me. I'll see where I am each month and decide whether I need to revise up or down.

I also have two running goals for this year: run a sub 1:43 half marathon and a sub-4:00 marathon. I think it will be easy enough to get into a half marathon, but I'm reserving judgment about running a full marathon this year. I'll just see how training goes and decide later. It's a big commitment of time and I'm not sure if it will be consistent with the rest of my fitness goals (ie, bulk at some point) so I'll keep an open mind.

Today's workout was a 60 minute run. Other goals along the way are to be able to run 60 minutes .5 of a mph faster by each month's end. I think my treadmill's speedometer is unreliable and claims I'm going slower than I really am, so I am just using it as a relative measure. But I ran the whole 60 minutes today at 6.0, which on my treadmill feels pretty damn fast. I had been running at 5.0 (which feels a lot more like a 10 minute mile to me, actually). Anyway, I want to keep pushing myself with running, too.

Nutrition was good again today, but I had to have two evening shakes to make sure I got as many calories as I wanted.

2. 11oz premier protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. apple, 5.5 oz broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese
    4. Eggs poached w/whole tomatoes and adobo chiles
    5. Milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. Milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

Lovehandles looking a little thinner in the mirror. But I still see 'em. Gonna take pics on Monday.

Everyone have a great Thursday!

4. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Good luck to you on your long day tomorrow! I will be up in Seattle again working on my boat..

Very nice on sitting down and writing out your goals! Good luck to you on accomplishing them. About the run, I am pretty sure we were running a 10 minute mile (6mph) and you didn't look bothered at all. It does seem that your treadmill is off.

Good luck to you on the half, I could only wish to be able to run a 8 minute mile pace for a half. If you decide to run a Marathon, that one in December is supposed to be a good one.

Take care!

5. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Great goals! It is a good step forward just getting them on paper, and in public.

I think I have the same problem with my treadmill at home. If I run at 6 or 6.5 is feels a like a lot more work than running at the same level at the gym.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I have got to try this on the weekend, I keep thinking about it. :eat:

Good luck with the goals.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good luck on reaching your goals.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thank you! They're not an end in themselves, really, but a way for me to keep motivated and find ways to push myself.

Thanks! And I look forward to the protein smoothie w/almond milk every night now. Hope you like it if you try it.

Thanks! I'm hoping putting them out there will motivate me. That's a funny thing about treadmills, too. Usually when I get outside I'm faster.

Thanks David. I hope you had a great day working on the boat. It sure was beautiful this afternoon.

I set the goal for the half based on my previous PR, but that was 5 years ago this month. So it's anybody's guess whether I can muster that kind of speed from my legs again!

My long day is finally over. I had to leave my writing group meeting because I thought I might fall asleep at the table.

It was a strange day nutrition-wise. I didn't eat unclean foods, but I felt like I had to subsist on protein drinks, cottage cheese, and broccoli. I'm looking forward to things normalizing tomorrow.

2. 11oz protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. 4 oz broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple
    4. 4 oz broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese
    5. 11 oz protein drink
    6. Milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

My run this morning was 30 minutes, nice and easy.

Nutrition macros:

[​IMG]

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Coincidentally there was a recent article in the NYT about the pros and cons of indoor exercising, particularly in the winter.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I'm a big fan of Gina Kolata's stuff. Coincidentally, I just finished re-reading "Ultimate Fitness" and I'm now re-reading "Rethinking Thin." They're (in my opinion) great efforts to take an objective, penetrating look at the worlds of fitness and weight loss.

Speaking of indoor running...

...another strong run today. I kept up 60 minutes at a pace slightly faster than Wednesday's. I'm continuing to feel strong as a runner. Dbfield told me last week that I might be able to run on a local high school's track, and if that's so then I can begin thinking about intervals as soon as next month. I'd also like to find a park to do some long runs--I have one in mind, but I'd like to know more about the trails before I head out there. It's a bit out of the way, really.

More clean eating. I again bumped up against 2000 calories but didn't push myself over.

2. Milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    3. 1 c carrots, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple
    4. Almond milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Eggs poached in tomato juice w/whole tomatoes and adobo chiles
    6. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    7. Almond milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie

Macros:
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow is the "pull" workout. Unfortunately there was a mess up with the dip belt, so I won't have that for pull ups tomorrow. :(

11. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

do you not like beans? :confused:

i'm so used to vegetarians eating a ton of beans. :lol:

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I have 'em sometimes. But they're really packed with calories so it's tough for me to eat as many times as I want during the day and get the amount of protein I want when I make recipes with beans.

But when I bulk? Hells yeah, I'm gonna eat more beans.

Sad news today at Costco. I think they might no longer be carrying the Wawona Spectrum Blend, which is the frozen fruit I use to make protein smoothies. So I bought 3 bags. Maybe they'll carry it again in the future.

Good start to the day with the pull workout. I was happy with my progress on all lifts, but I did waste a little time on some machines today. I got this idea that every time I go to the gym I should try something new to mix things up. To hell with the machines, I'll just try some other new exercises instead. The dip belt didn't arrive for weighted pullups, so I improvised at home with a 25 pound dumbell and a backpack. I managed 6 in the first set and 5 in the next, so I'm ready to rock for next time.

This evening I did an easy 60 minute run but I was dragging a little because I was hungry and watching the clock. I need to pack in some extra calories and carbs tomorrow since I'm gonna try a 100 minute run.

More clean eating today:

2. PWO, 11oz premier protein drink, .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    3. 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt, .5 c cucumbers, dill
    4. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Zucchini, dill, and tomato frittata
    6. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:
    [​IMG]

13. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Good luck tomorrow! Where are you going to run? I actually missed my long run today.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope all goes well with your run today.

15. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

do you consider urself to be cutting??? if so, why??

bummer. frozen fruit is so expensive. i'm hoping to figure out a way to freeze a bunch of strawberries this summer when i get access to free flats of them. :drool:

excellent!!! i've held a 20 lb db with my feet and that works fine too.

6 @ 25 lbs is really great! :tucool:

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks, David! It turns out I did the Green Lake loops again...but this time I added a 4th trip around the lake. From what I gathered from the kickass time you posted, you had a great workout anyway!

Thanks, it did! Not to be upstaged :shiftyeyes: by my fellow runners, I cranked today's run up to ~12.4 mi or so.

Yep, I do...because I've still got belly fat and lovehandles and I'm probably around 15% bf or so. Since I'm skinny-fat I can see the case for bulking, but my plan is to bulk when I hit 10% bf or 140 pounds, whichever comes first. I'm not anxious to weigh less than 140.

Man, I'd be in heaven. That's awesome. I see a chest freezer in your future.

I think I'm gonna hit Costco on Tuesday after school and buy more protein powder and see if I can snag the last of the Spectrum Blend while I'm at it. :whistle:

Thanks, I was pretty happy about it. Ultimately I want to be able to crank out 25 of those things. Dunno if that's possible or not, but I'm gonna work toward it.

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

So today was supposed to be a 10 mile run. Except with certain people cranking out a dozen miles over the weekend, I thought, hell, I should just do that extra loop around the lake and do 12 of my own. So I did. I'm aware that I'm piling on the mileage pretty quickly. It was only about a month ago that I moved up to an hour, then 2 weeks ago moved to a long run of 75 minutes, and then last weekend ground out 90 minutes, so a 2 hour run is a pretty big jump.

Here's the route I took:

[​IMG]

I ran around the lake 4 times. Google maps tells me it's 3.4 miles per circuit, but I do a bit less than that each time since I cut off a very small portion of the trip at the southeast corner of the lake, I don't do that short out and back jig to my house at the top each time, and I'm running a few feet to the left of where the cars would be driving, making my circuit slightly smaller. I think I can conservatively estimate 3.1 miles per circuit and 3.2 for one of them to include the out and back piece to my house. So, 12.5 miles all up. It took 2:01, which was perfect, especially since I didn't have a watch and had no idea whether I was on pace or not. I just checked the clock before I left and when I got back.

I got pissed at my iPod, which developed an annoying habit of freezing about once out of every 2 or 3 songs for about 15 seconds. :mad:

Here's the playlist that kept me company for today's run. I never made it to the last song.

[​IMG]

I really, really wanted to eat a bunch extra today, but it didn't happen. I did break through the 2000 calorie barrier, though. W00t.

2. Milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    3. Mid-run GU packet (Chocolate Outrage)
    4. Milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Red curry tofu w/yellow bell pepper and red onion
    6. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    7. Milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Today's macros:
    [​IMG]

18. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Very nice run! You have upped your time/mileage fast. How is your body reacting to that? I am looking forward to my 10 miler this Saturday.

19. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Great job on the run! That's a nice and eclectic playlist, too. :tu:

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Very nice job on the run. :tucool: