1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, it was really nice. The venue had a view of the Puget Sound and the sun came out in time for it to be very nice.

No workout yesterday--streak ends at 84 days--but we had a long day driving to Portland and back. This morning was the Memorial Day Murph and it was a lot of fun. Exceeded my expectations and completed it in 37:55. All those pullups paid off, I guess. Will get right back after it tomorrow and make sure my nutrition is on point. I leave for vacation a week from Friday and plan to go full-tilt between now and then with nutrition, rest, stretching, and workouts. It's just ten days so it's a good amount of time to put in a solid effort.

I hope you all had pleasant holidays and your week starts off great.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Smoking time on the Murph!

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, I was so pleased.

I wasn't really as sore as I thought so I did legs this morning: Deadlifts: 5x5; BB squats 8x7; leg press 3x10; db lunges 3x10.

PM: 90 min MMA. Very tired by the end of it. Day 1/10 down, 9/10 to go.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Shoulders/tris this morning: Overhead BB press x8, 6, 8, 8, 5; db overhead press 4x10; inc db bench press 3x10; db side raises 3x10; db shrugs 3x12; pulley external shoulder rotators 3x10; tri cable pulldown 3x10; bar dips bw 2x25.

Day of 2/10 of cracking down on my nutrition. So far so good.

5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    AM: back/bis: BO BB row 4x10; weighted chinups x12, 10, 8, 11, 10; seated machine rows 4x10; rear delt flyes 3x10; ez curl preachers 3x10; inc db curls 3x10; 7/7/7 BB curls 2x21; bodyweight pullups x15, 12, 10; machine preacher curls 3x10.

PM: 90 mins MMA

Day 3/10 of paying closer attention to nutrition.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What does that entail? This might be an incorrect assumption on my part, but I tend to think of vegans as having a good handle on nutrition already. Good luck on the remaining week.

7. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It means I don't eat sugary foods, empty calorie food like tortilla chips, or overeat on things that might be okay in smaller doses like nuts. It also means I avoid restaurant foods and don't stuff myself full of food in general.

Tiring day today.

AM: Mailbox Peak — Washington Trails Association. 5.5 hour hike, very steep climb. Gorgeous day, amazing panoramas and views of Mount Rainier and other things.

PM: chest tris. BB bench x8, 8, 8, 5, 8, 8; seated db overhead press 3x8; inc BB bench 6x8; db pullovers 3x10; db side raises 3x12; ext shoulder rotators 3x10; tri cable pulldowns 3x10; pushups x 45, 35, 20; chest flyes 4x12; bar dips-bodyweight 2x25. Then I sat in the sauna for a while and relaxed. Yesterday's leg workout didn't go well and left me with a cranky lower back.

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Just getting caught up.

Wow you crushed The Murph

From the picture you posted a few weeks ago, I think to have a pretty good handle on your eating.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Because she was away last weekend my daughter and some other members of her CF box did the Murph last night. Wearing a 20 pound vest, remember she only weighs 125, she finished in 60 minutes.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Have a great vacation.

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last month was a pretty big travel month, something like 20/30 days or close to it. This month not nearly as much, just a six day trip next week. So I can have more consistency with nutrition and exercise.

Things are pretty good. I've gained nearly ten pounds since my point of lowest weight, which is good, with a gain of around 2.5cm of abdomen fat. I think that's a decent ratio.

I've had persistence lower back weakness and stiffness these last several weeks which have been frustrating and making it hard for me to feel like I'm getting back into things, but I keep showing up at the gym and nutrition is not terrible. I'm not as locked on as I was but I'm still working the plan.

My runs have been getting faster and I've set an ambitious goal of a 6 min mile. Not sure if I can pull this off--my fastest so far is 6:33. I'd like to hit this by 1 November, but I'll see how it goes.

Hope you all are well and I'm planning to be less of a stranger around here.

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Took a few days off this week to let my body recover since my back was feeling tight, weak, and uncomfortable. I think it helped. Lifting this morning: BB Bench 2x8, 1x2 (PR!); 1x8; BB inc bench 4x8; overhead db press 3x10; chest flyes 3x10; ext shoulder rotations 3x10; tri cable pushdowns 3x10; db side raises 3x10; pushups x70, 30, 20, 10; bar dips bw x20, 15, 10; machine military press drop sets to failure.

Running this afternoon, yet to happen.

Heading to Alaska on Tuesday. Have a great weekend!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You really get around. Is your traveling business, or personal or a combination? Have a great trip.

I read recently that the foot was very poorly designed. :) Yesterday, I read the same thing about the back.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you taking a cruise from Vancouver or somewhere close? We're probably going to do that in a couple of years. Enjoy and post pictures.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's been a mix--overall most is personal travel since work travel these days only sends me to conferences, I don't visit clients or anything like that. But last month I had a conference in Colorado and this month my wife has one in Fairbanks, Alaska. So taking advantage of that to do a little personal travel in addition to what's required by work.

I agree with the assessment about the back not being designed well. Has been years of grumpiness for me!

We've never done a cruise before--we've looked into it since so many of them leave from Seattle but Alaska is very easy to access from Seattle without a cruise and we've been doing that instead. Also we've never done a cruise before and we're not sure how much we'd like it. Our traveling usually emphasizes us getting up early every morning and driving to a new destination and hiking or exploring it, visiting art galleries and bookstores, and getting our own food from stores. It doesn't emphasize things as much like sleeping in, nice dinners, relaxing at the pool or beach, or having a drink or two. (also not really sure about vegan food options?) Cruises seem amazing for that second type of vacation! One day I see us doing cruises to the Caribbean so we can visit so many different islands in one go, though.

This morning's workout: weighted pullups x7, 6, 16, 11, 8, 11, 8; inverted rows 3x10; rear delt flyes 3x10; ez curl preachers 3x10; inc db curls x8, 5, 10, 10; weighted chinups x 14, 11, 8; machine preacher curls 3x10.

Then treadmill, 5 miles in 40 min which felt really good. Spending the afternoon packing and other chores. Have a great week everyone!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was on one short cruise with my parents in 1970. Around 30 years ago me, wifey, and two friends rented a 68 foot yacht complete with four crew to sail around the Caribbean. It was actually an active vacation because we made frequent stops to go hiking, swimming, and in our friends' case, diving.

Our vacation plans for the end of this year and the beginning of 2020 are filling up so at the earliest we won't make it to Alaska until 2021. We have family in Seattle, so when we do go we'll likely leave from there.

Like you, I'd rather have a more active vacation than just staying on a ship with limited time on ports of call.

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like the vacation of a lifetime! (yacht cruise). I hope you do make it out to Alaska and possibly Seattle, too.

The YMCA that I go to was shut down all week, something that happens once a year as the Y installs new equipment, does repairs, and so on. So I didn't left until the weekend and had pretty decent days (chest/tris on Fri and back/bis today). I also ran the last several days, and on Friday I managed a mile in 6 minutes, but it was on a treadmill so I'm not sure how that would translate to a track. But it was a good, hard effort and I hope to improve on it and eventually crack 6:00 on a track sometime this autumn.

I've had more discipline with my eating and my abdomen is about 1cm away from its previous lean point. So another couple of weeks of grinding away and I'll be there again.

Have a great week everyone.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, that was one nice vacation with still vivid memories. Two of the crew were former British Navy divers and they captained the boat, amongst other things, while their wives somehow cooked fantastic meals in a kitchen the size of a shoe box.

Our local YMCA closes down for a week every year also for the same purposes.

A six minute mile is really fast! Wowza. :tucool: