1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wasn't the most articulate about the FitBit and scale--it's actually a scale with some other app, but it syncs with FitBit so I can read it on the FitBit app. It tracks things like (allegedly) % of water weight, muscle mass, bodyfat, etc., in addition to weight. It's just fascinating to see these figures over time. I have a lot of doubts about its reliability to measure these things so I like seeing the trends over time, but it's been very weird to consistently gain strength and lose fat around my stomach but also to see my bodyfat vascillate so much per the app.

I've been within about a 40ish pound window my entire adult life so I never made it to the point where I have a lot of extra skin left over. Or if there is, there's not much. I do have some stretch marks on my shoulders and I don't see anything similar around my stomach so I think maybe I don't.

Thank you!

UPDATE: the run never happened. Blue skies went away, rain came, and I took a nap. I'm okay wth that.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

40 pounds is a pretty wide range. But you are younger than me, and youth counts a lot in skin elasticity.

I used to watch a channel on youtube called "Obese to Beast". I think he lost 180 pounds. He is very young, probably when he lost the weight he was 20 or so. He has no extra skin below his chin (like I would have expected), but does have it on his chest and stomach. I would have thought that being so young, the extra skin would disappear, but it did not happen.

Long story short, he made a youtube video how he is not going to have an operation to remove the extra skin. I guess it went viral, he ended up being on Ellen television show, and she gave him a new Ford Mustang (I guess for being noble).

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

Hopefully this progress pic shows up--taken this morning.

AM workout: 4 rounds of core exercises, 7 exercises per round. PM: 90 minutes MMA. I foam rolled tonight, did shoulder mobility exercises. Hope you are all having great weeks!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Looking lean and strong. Nice going!

5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! I'm in the zone right now.

AM workout: BB squats 5 x 10; sled leg press 4 x 10; db lunges 3 x 10; one leg ham curls 3 x 10; one leg quad extensions 3 x 10; box jumps with med ball 3 x 15; physio band walks x 3; goblet squats 3 x 12.

PM: short, quick run.

One of the nicest days of the year here today. It feels like spring.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your photo validated your comment that your abdomen measurement was the lowest you ever recorded. Keep up the good work.

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Wow. :bb:looking strong and lean.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

Things keep rolling along. Chest and tris today. Inc db press x8, 8, 5 (this was a PR for this exercise); inc BB press 3 x 10; weighted bar dips x 20; 20; 12; tri cable pulldowns 3 x 10; chest flyes 3 x 10; overhead db tri extensions 3 x 10; bodyweight bar dips x 30, 20, 15.

PM: short run.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Back/bis today: weighted pullups x 2, 6, 5, 15, 12, 10; bentover BB rows: 3 x 10; seated machine rows 4 x 10; rear delt flyes 3 x 10; inc db curls x 8, 8, 5, 10, 10; 7/7/7 BB curls x21, 21; machine preacher curls 3 x 10; chin ups bodyweight x 18, 13, 10.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Core and MMA yesterday; legs and yoga today. My wife is going to teach me some yoga so I can get more out of classes when I start them hopefully later this summer.

BB Squats 5x7; leg press 5x7; db lunges 3x8; one leg ham curls 3x10; one leg quad ext 3x10; box jump w/ med ball 3x10; physio band crab walk x3.

I hope you're all having a great week so far. Weather was phenomenal today. Got to see Mount Rainier as I walked across campus, always such a pleasure.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yoga, lifting, MMA & running. You have all bases covered.

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's starting to get to be a challenge to integrate everything into my plan that I want to integrate into the plan.

AM: back/bis: weighted pullups x 20, 15, 7; bodyweight x 20; seated machine row x 8, 10, 10, 10, 14; rear delt flyes 3 x 10; inc db curls 4 x 10; machine preacher curls 4 x 10; chin ups x 14, 12, 10.

PM: 90 min MMA.

My lower back is a bit stiff so I'm going to do a much lighter day on legs tomorrow.

macdiver likes this.
  13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Legs and some core this AM: BB squats 5x10, 7, 6, 3; leg press 5x10; one leg ham curls 3x10; one leg quad ext 3x10; sundry core exercises.

Midday: 30 min run in the sun. Beautiful day for it.

Hiking tomorrow AM, then gym in the afternoon. Have a great weekend!

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Full day today. Hiking this AM. Then the gym, chest/tris:

Db bench press 4x8; incl db bench press 4x8; weighted bar dips x 25, 20, 13; chest flyes 3x10; tri cable pulldowns 3x10; shoulder rotations (?) (not sure what these are, but used the pulley, kept elbow tucked and rotated outwards, I'll figure out what the heck they're called) 3x10; overhead db tri extension x10, 8, 10; bar dips bodyweight x 30, 20.

I'm tired.

macdiver likes this.
  15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A full day indeed. Wifey and I are members of a hiking club and we're leading the hike next Sunday. Walking in the woods and experiencing visually appealing surroundings is good for the body and the mind.

16. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Nice day of exercise. I'm guessing that your hike included some mountains so following that with weights... You should be tired. Well done

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, fellas.

Hiking is so restorative and we've been making an effort the last two seasons to get out almost every weekend if we can. The hike was not especially long but it was steep. This weekend we're getting away to the coast so should have flatter terrain to traverse.

AM: Back/Bis: weighted pullups x 3, 6, 16, 12, 8, 10; BB bent over row 3x10; seated machine row 3x10; rear delt flyes 3x10; inc db curls x 8, 5, 10, 10; ez curl preachers 3x10; bodyweight chinups x 14, 12, 10; machine preachers 3x10.

PM: 40 min run.

If I have things planned out correctly I think I'll wait until the end of July to begin bulking because I'm not keen to begin a new and unknown phase of this during a time when I'll have a lot of travel planned. In the next 2.5 months I have about 5 trips planned so it makes sense to me to wait until that time is over. But I think I'm ready to start gaining weight again soon.

Have a great week everyone.

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    AM: short run and lots of core exercises
    PM: 90 minutes MMA

I'm going to try to get runs in on the weekdays by either doing them at lunch when I'm free or in the mornings before lifting. The morning runs will be short but hopefully intense enough to elevate my cardiovascular fitness level. This will be a real challenge for me as I have always hated running in the morning very first thing. I'm going to aim for 2 times a week to start.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running before lifting on a treadmill, or outside? Good luck on your plan.

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If I run in the morning before lifting it will be on a treadmill, I think (we have a treadmill so I can just do this at home and then get ready and go to the gym as normal).

AM: legs--BB squats 5x10; leg press 4x10; db lunges 3x10; one leg ham curls 3x10; one leg quad ext 3x10; physio band crabwalk x2; weighted box jumps x 30. Tiring.

PM: Yoga

Last night's martial arts workout was challenging, more for the holding than for the kicking and punching. Some of the guys I was holding for could really kick hard and they outweighed me by quite a bit.