1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Farms! It's like Holland, I suppose (have never been to Holland). But it's beautiful with all of the fields of tulips in bloom.

Monday: core workout am, 90 minutes MMA pm. Tired.
    Tuesday: legs am: squats and leg press 5x5 each; db lunges 4x10; one legged ham curls and quad extensions 3x10 each; box jump with 8 lb med ball 3x10; therapy band side walk up and down the length of the gym x2; goblet squats 3x12.
    pm: 25 min run, 8:18/mile. Tired.

3 day work conference begins tomorrow (local) so it will be a challenge to get the workouts in but I'm planning on finding a way.

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Shoulders and tris this morning; 25 minutes of rowing in the evening.

db press 3x10; db bench press 3x10; weighted bar dips x 20, 15, 10, 15; tri cable pulldowns 4x10; lying one armed db tri extensions, 3x10; smith machine shrugs 3x10; superset db alt front raises & db side raises 3x10; machine mil press drop set; bodyweight bar dips 3x15; inc situps with med ball x25; hanging leg raises x25; med ball plank 60 sec.

Back to martial arts class tomorrow evening I hope. Busy at work, stressful--unable to attend the conference because of an urgent issue that must be done by Friday afternoon.

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Back and bis this morning: weighted pullups x18, 12, 7, 11, 8, 7; rear delt flyes 3x12; kneeling facepulls 3x10; seated machine rows 3x10; inc db curls x8, 5, 10, 10; machine preacher 3 x10; chin ups bodyweight x 16, 12, 10. This evening: 2.5 hours MMA. One of the classes I took tonight was Panantukan, a Filipino art that was probably too advanced of a class for me to be in tonight. A lot of complicated combinations, but they're all fun and nasty and brutal. I'd never want to use it on anyone, ever, but boy is it fun to learn. I'm looking forward to building competency over time.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your post reminded me of a Seinfeld episode, where he is taking a karate class, and all of the other classmates are little kids. :)

I picture your class of future MMA fighters. What type of people take the class?

5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

All kinds of people--some even older than me. In last night's class I saw a guy I hadn't seen for 16 years or so. He looked exactly the same but his hair was gray now. Most of the people in the classes I'm in look like they're in their 30s, with some maybe in their 20s and some in their 40s and a few older than that. A lot of women, too, maybe about 50% of the class is women.

Legs/core this morning. Wasn't the greatest workout, I had planned on 3 rounds of core and quit after one. I was just exhausted and my right glute felt uncomfortably tight. Squat 5x5; leg press 5x5; db lunges 3x12; inc situps with a med ball x25; plank using two med balls; side planks; scissor kicks x 25; in & outs x25; medicine ball twists x 25. Going to rest tonight.

I am sure ready for the weekend. I measured myself this morning and went up a pound again, this is very fascinating. I am not sure what it will take to get rid of this last bit of bodyfat that I want to get rid of.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I am probably pushing things too hard right now and need to back off a bit. Two days in a row I've had pretty 'meh' workouts and struggled today with bench, especially. I'll think about how to juggle things moving forward.

This morning: db bench x10, 10, 6; db inc bench 3 x 10; weighted dips x 20, 20, 15; tri cable pull downs 3 x 10; one armed lying tri db extensions 3 x 10; machine bench drop sets; bodyweight dips x 20, 20, 15.

Aiming for a run early this afternoon. Then it's making some kind of dinner, cocktails, and staying in for the evening. Hope you're all having a great weekend.

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Recovery time is as important as the work out itself.

There are more types of martial arts than I realized. I guess each region has its own style it at least it's own name.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Definitely. Hard for me to find that balance sometimes.

Back/bis this morning: weighted pullups x 6, 4, 15, 10, 10; bodyweight x 15; seated machine rows 3 x 10; rear delt flyes 3 x 10; inc db curls 3 x 10; kneeling facepulls 3 x 10; EZ curl preacher 3 x 10; BB 7/7/7 curls, 3 x 21; machine preacher curl 3 x 10; chin ups bodyweight x 13, 12, 10. Run planned for this afternoon. Nothing too taxing.

Dinner last night was a vegan spaghetti carbonara which was tasty. Tonight something involving roasting red bell peppers but I'm not yet sure what else it involves. Possibly pearl barley.

Have a great week everyone!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Peppers stuffed with barley sounds tasty.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

That does sound good. The recipe turns out to be more of a stew though.

Full day today. AM: core, 4 rounds of about 6 exercises each. PM: 1.5 hours MMA. Going to deload shoulders and chest this week; shoulders hurt a lot less than they did a day ago, so that's good. I've got to get to an 8 am meeting way across campus tomorrow immediately after leaving the gym so I've gotta get up earlier than usual to give myself plenty of time to get there.

Hope your week's off to a good start everyone.

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Legs this morning; shoulders get a deload workout tomorrow. Considered running tonight but going to give myself a chance to rest which is probably the smarter move. I think I'm making peace with where my bodyfat level is; my abdomen has basically stayed where it is for the last 2 months almost and in the meantime I've gained strength.

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Deload today: db press 3 x 10; db bnch press 3 x 10; db inc bnch press 3 x 10; bar dips bodyweight 3 x 15; tri cable pull downs 3 x 10; then 6 different core exercises. Probably no pm exercise tonight. Leftovers and reading a book and getting to bed early.

13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

AM: back/bis. Weighted pullups x 20, 15, 10; bodyweight x 12, 10; seated machine rows 5 x 10; rear delt flyes 3 x 10; inc db curls 3 x 8; ez curl BB preachers x 10, 8; BB 7/7/7 curls x 21, 21, 21; bodyweight chinups x 10, 10, 9. PM: 90 min MMA.

Just a few months ago I was trying to make going to the gym in the morning a habit--now it's automatic. So that's been very positive.

I'm taking a 3 part class in kaizen at work that is pretty interesting. Not sure how I'll apply it, but I like the class so far. The instructor was a Disney Imagineer and was one of the designers of Epcot.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Funny how that works. When I wake up, it usually doesn't even occur to me not to workout in the morning, it is such a habit now.

Instructor must be pretty old, Epcot has been there since the early 80's I think, so it must have been designed in the 70's.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It certainly takes a while for something to become a habit, but from what you wrote you're over the crest.

16. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Great that you've been able to make the morning workout a habit. Not too long ago your goal was once per week and you blew that away. Do you find more energy and focus firing the day now?

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm not sure if it's translated into more energy or not--when I had been working out on weekdays I felt energized by the break in the day and I miss that. But it has made sure that I've gotten the workouts in since a lot of the time during the work week I wasn't able to keep a commitment to myself to make that mid-day workout.

Ironically, for the first time in weeks I didn't go to the gym this morning. I lost my voice somehow and while I don't feel terrible I don't feel great. I sound like Red from Us when I talk. I might go later in the afternoon if I feel up to it; I slept in and feel well-rested and otherwise feel okay, but voiceless. It is kind of putting a damper on Saturday plans, though. We had intended to go out tonight to see a friend's art opening, but I can't really picture doing that if I'm not able to talk.

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Voice isn't completely back yet today but I'm feeling better generally. Went to the gym yesterday afternoon but spent most of the day in low key recovery mode--watched a few movies, read, etc. Today is more full with errands and chores and getting ready for the week.

Gym this morning: back/bis. I tried and failed for a PR in weighted pullups, unable to lift off with two 45lb plates. I'll attempt it again in a month or six weeks or something and in the meantime try to build up some more reps at slightly lower weights.

Weighted pullups: x0, x6, x5, x15, x11, x12, x9; seated machine row 5 x 10; rear delt flyes 3 x 10; inc db curls 3 x 8; ez curl BB curls 2 x 6; BB "7/7/7" curls 3 x 21; machine preacher curls 3 x 10; bodyweight chin ups x 15, 12, 10. Going to get a run in this afternoon. My nutrition has lacked discipline in recent weeks and it's time to focus on that again.

Have a great week everyone!

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I never have seen anyone use 2 plates. That is a lot of added weight. Impressive when you are able to do it.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Two plates is an impressive amount. I wish you well achieving your goal.