1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Well, it was dedication to buy the ugly shorts I did because they had slim pickin's :)

My wife teaches Kindergarten. She keeps improving, but with that grade it will always be their first year of school, so the kids keep her on her toes.

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

She's a hero. I work with Kindergarteners one morning a week and it's a totally different world.

Today started off with a great 60 minute run. I've been introducing speedplay into my runs lately, gradually setting the stage for more deliberate speed workouts later. I ran the first 20 minutes .5 of a mile faster than I usually run, and then bumped it up another .5 for the next 20. I kept it steady for 10 minutes and then ran a series of 1 minute on, 1 minute off intervals to finish up. One thing I don't like about our treadmill is that I don't trust its speedometer. I think it's about a full 1mph behind what it should be. I know when I run at the gym it's a lot easier to run faster, but when I try to run the same speeds at home it's damn near impossible. I don't worry too much about it, since I just use the speed as a relative measure from one session to the next, but it would be nice to know.

Also, I watched the first hour of "Food, Inc." during the run. Eye-opening, to say the least. It made me feel like many of my diet choices were validated. I should buy a copy of it in case I feel like eating an average American diet again. Yikes. :eek:

I had class this morning, which was regrettably a waste of time--our professor invited 3 teachers in and our class could ask them questions: about their jobs now, about their own student teaching experiences, and so on. But since we've been student teaching since September, we already had people we could ask about things we were curious about. I could have used the time for the zillion assignments I have due in the next 2 weeks instead.

Tomorrow will be my first workout on the new push/pull split. I'm going to start with "pull." I don't think I'll vary the lifts I do at all, though. I'm sticking with deadlifts, pull ups, rows, shrugs, and bicep curls. When I move to the "push" part of the split I'll start with squats, then figure out how to arrange db bench, db inc bench, shoulder press, lunges, and dips. I'll probably do pushups at the end just to keep things real.

Big eating day today. Again, I came close to 2k calories but didn't make it over the top. I'm curious what Monday's measurements will say. I feel like I'm looking a bit leaner this week, but the tape will tell the tale.

Today's meals:

1. .5 c oats, .4 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey (post-run)
    3. 1 c carrots, 11oz premier protein drink
    4. 5.5 oz broccoli, apple, 6 oz Chobani Greek Yogurt
    5. Almond milk/fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. Tofu and broccoli w/spicy peanut butter sauce
    7. Almond milk/fruit/protein smoothie

The macros:

[​IMG]

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

What I eat

I was wondering today what my diet's made up of (I can see the influence of Food, Inc here).

This isn't every single food I eat, but it's pretty close to it. There really isn't that much variety now that I look at it up close. I'm expecting to have more variety of veggies and fruits once spring gets here and the farmers markets start.

The foods are in P/C/F categories and listed from top to bottom in a rough frequency of how much I consume of each.

[​IMG]

4. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Very nice run today! I don't know how you can stand the treadmill, I have tried on multiple occasions but I get to about 1-1.5 miles and can't do it anymore. I am impressed by your ability to do it! :tucool:

I broke down and bought a garmin gps watch to be able to track my stats, but what can I say, I am just a technology geek.

Good luck tomorrow on your new workout. I hope someday to be able to do pull ups..

I may be taking my run around Greenlake tomorrow. Since I have to work in the morning, I will be up at my parents house later to work on my boat. I will let my parents watch my kids and then go run.

Have a great weekend!

#84 dbfield, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My 14 year old saw this at school a few weeks ago, and has refused to eat ground beef since. :blank: There should have been a mandatory "pro-legumes" part to that film. :curses: I have it on hold from the library, but the spot I'm at pretty much guarantees it will be at least six months before I see it.

I'm encouraging her more often to eat protein powder. I am tired of having both my kids refuse pretty much everything other than pasta, rice, and bread. :(

Interesting food list. I would have thought that the beans could straddle the protein/carbs and the avocado could straddle the carbs/fat.

I've never been able to get myself to eat lentils. :barf: Do you have any good recipes?

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think my secret is that I use my treadmill time to watch movies or sports on TV. I've managed an hour at a gym before with an ipod, but it's dreary.

Now THAT is cool. I'm thinking in a few years the government will just implant us all with chips that will allow us to do the same thing... :eek:

Thanks. I got it in this morning and it was a success. I felt reasonably good about it. And you'll be doing pullups in no time with the progress you're making.

See you soon.

7. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I'm riveted by it. I can't wait to finish it. Also, it makes me want to learn more.

No vegetables, how sad :cry:

:doh: Avocados totally belong in the fat list. I think of them as more fat than carb, but I was just listing veggies I eat as carbs and they got in there. Sneaky things.

For the beans, I think of them as a carb because there's about a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein in them. But I agree they're a good source of protein, too.

You don't like lentils??? :spank:

My favorite lentil recipe is dal, but to make it properly you must use coconut milk. Even when you use light coconut milk, it ends up being a pretty high calorie meal. I think that's fine, but I don't have a lot of room in my plan for meals that are especially calorie-dense. If you like Indian food at all, I can send you at least 2 good recipes for dal that I've made. :drool: Maybe they'll change your mind.

I also liked a lentil soup I made last month. It was with black lentils, which are a little smaller and nuttier than yellow/red lentils. It was infused with a strong garlic flavor, which I thought was great. I've also had lentils in vegetarian chili, and thought they were pretty good, too.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lentil recipes please. TIA.

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think maybe I'm just afraid of lentils.

I do have room for high calorie meals, and although Indian is not my favourite, I do quite enjoy it once in a while, especially if it has coconut milk in it.:drool:

Now that I think of it, I was part of a cooking class a few years ago, and in one of the sessions, we made an Indian rice. The hosts gave us tiny quantities of the ingredients to take home and replicate the recipe because they thought we wouldn't be bothered to buy them ourselves. I did like it, I did replicate the recipe and liked it again, but I still hadn't bothered to buy the ingredients. :spank:

But I also remembered the research I'd done about a year ago that eplained what a tremendous powerhouse of a superfood they were, because of their fibre content, glycemic index, and generous protein content.

So, yes, I will definitely need to trouble you for your recipes. :eat:

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I checked the dal recipes and actually it's just one of them that is especially good.

Here are the Mexican soup and dal recipes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can email you the files, too. Just send me a PM.

Bon appetit. :eat:

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Full day o' fitness today.

I started with the "pull" workout today at the gym. I added a set and some reps to deadlift, which pleased me, and added a bit to t-bar row, too. My biceps still felt weak, but I can't care too much about that. I'm also looking forward to when the dip belt comes so I can start those weighted pullups. That'll be hardcore, fo' shizz.

I had planned tomorrow to bump my weekend run up to 90 minutes. But fate intervened and dbfield aka David mentioned in my journal that he was going to be in the area and was going to run around Green Lake today. He was aiming for 9 miles today, so...

We did 3 loops around the lake. The weather was just about perfect. A light rain when we started that soon disappeared and mid 50s and overcast. According to David's calculations, we covered 9.3 miles. Well done, David!

I'll definitely be feeling the DOMS for the next few days as I'm not used to running outside. I haven't run outside since December 2007, I'm afraid to say :eek: But I busted out the foam roller and did some stretching tonight during the Villanova/Syracuse blowout and hopefully that'll help.

Because of all of the activity, I crammed in some extra food today. I hope it's enough.

2. PWO: .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey, 11oz premier protein drink
    3. .6 c 2% cottage cheese, 166g yam
    4. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. Goat cheese and tarragon omelet w/sauteed artichoke hearts and grape tomatoes
    7. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey, Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:
    [​IMG]

I also decided that for the time being I'm going to move the push/pull schedule to Tues/Sat and maybe make Thurs a day exclusively for dips, pullups, and pushups. Maybe some extra squatting now and again, too.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the recipes. I should be able to cut and paste from here, but if not I'll send you a PM.

That's very cool that you and David were able to meet and run together. Nice going on the 9.3 miles. :tucool:

13. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

It was very nice meeting you yesterday. I was going to post last night, but I passed out early. I hope your DOMS don't last too long. I thought I was going to be sore today, but nothing. I did find it interesting that I had a easier time on the cement instead of the gravel/unpaved ground.. go figure!

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I keep thinking of Almond milk. I wanted to buy some today, but didn't go to the supermarket.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Me too! Thanks. It turns out I was hardly sore at all. Just a little bit in my left calf, but only because I'm thinking about it. I foam rolled and all is good in the world.

Guava gave me the idea. I'm a fan--it has healthy fats, which helps me work them into my eating. Also, it's low in calories (30 per 8oz, about 1/3 the amount in skim milk). I like low calorie foods because I feel like I have more options. If I'm not spending my calories on milk, I can spend 'em elsewhere. Of course, there's only 1 g of protein, but I am managing to meet my protein needs okay.

No worries, I hope you find them as good as I do.

It sure was. And the miles flew past. I could have done another loop, easy. Well, I coulda done another loop. :lol:

Today was day 56, so 8 whole weeks have elapsed since I started this. Woo-hoo! I've noticed a slight evolution in my eating in the last few weeks. I'm trying to get more calories. Also, I've abandoned worrying about any particular macro breakdown. My approach now is to aim for 120+ g of protein each day and then not worry too much about the macro split as long as I'm getting a reasonable amount of healthy fats. I guess that's working out for me okay. I'm open to being more specific about the macro split if that's really what it takes, but I'd like to think I can meet my goals without trying to juggle everything to hit those macros. I also have been making the effort to take in more calories. But this coincides with my increased running. I suspect the calculator I initially used overestimated how many calories I was burning each day. I was routinely eating about 1400-1500 calories. I felt fine, I was gaining strength, and I wasn't losing weight rapidly. Now that I'm much more aggressive with my running, it only makes sense to push this number to the 1800-2000 range and even higher on days when I run longer than 60 minutes.

Tomorrow's another measurement day, so I'll see how it goes. On one hand I feel like I've been very consistent for 8 weeks, but on another I feel like I'm constantly changing things. As long as I am getting stronger and leaner, I'm fine with however it's working out.

I finished Food, Inc. today. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. It's not a documentary, in my opinion. It's advocacy. But the case it makes is strong, I think. In short, the production of food in America has become very efficient. And although there is much to be said for efficiency, we should be thoughtful about what the consequences of achieving this efficiency are. I thought Food, Inc. was about considering these consequences.

Today's workout: 60 minutes running. I have to make time for abs. I've neglected them this week.

Today's meals:

2. 4 egg whites scrambled with 2 Tbsp organic salsa and .5 c 2% cottage cheese
    3. 5.5 oz broccoli, 170g yam, 8oz almond milk w/protein powder
    4. 8oz skim milk w/protein powder
    5. Teriyaki tofu and mushrooms
    6. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    7. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Teh marcos:
    [​IMG]

16. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

I am happy to hear that you weren't sore.. I am happy to hear that someone could have run another lap. I am not sure that would have been me..;)

Have a great week!

17. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Great run! I'm looking forward to getting up to that kind of distance.

18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

nice work!!

i think u should be fine hitting a protein goal and focusing on getting lots of healthy fats. the macros should fall in a good place without you having to overanalyze every meal. :tucool:

19. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Nice miles. Nice meetup. Awesome stuff, all around. :claplow:

I second whatever deja says because she's really good at this. :nod:

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Foam rolling ftw! Probably better we didn't put that "another lap" thing to the test. This way I can claim I could have done it and no one will be able to prove me wrong. :nod:

You have a great week, too, and good luck in your race this weekend. I hope it's a blast.

Thanks! It felt great to be out and about and running around the lake. You'll be cranking out a 9 miler in no time. It just sort of sneaks up on you.

Thanks! And I like the way you think. :D

Thanks, E. It was great. And I like the way you think, too. :nod:

Okay, so the morning didn't get off to the greatest start. I got up to run at 540 and realized at about 550 that I completely forgot to do an assignment that was due this afternoon. So instead of a run this morning I did an assignment about math curricula. Woo. :rolleyes:

Classes seemed to last forever, but I got home, crammed in some work for student teaching later this week, ate (tofu :drool:) and jumped on the treadmill for an hour. Quality run today, I can feel myself getting stronger.

I'm now weighing and measuring myself every Monday evening. I regrettably misplaced my skinfold measurements from last week, so I'll need to track them down.

Again, I don't know what to make of the results. I acknowledge that I need to get more consistent with the myotape. That's one reason I'm taking these every week; the more data points I have, the easier it will be to see the trends accurately even if I'm screwing things up a bit.

So, after taking the averages of the skinfolds (3 point test) and plugging them into the calculator, BF came out to 14.75%. In the US Navy neck to waist calculation, it again came out to 14%. I don't know how reliable this is, but I figure it can't be too far off since it came in very close to last week's figure.

My weight was 151. This is up one pound from last week, down 1 pound from 2 weeks ago, the same as five weeks ago, and down 4 pounds from when I started this all 8 weeks ago on January 4. So in 8 weeks, I've lost 4 pounds. I'm really curious to see the pics next week so I can do a visual comparison. It would be great if I don't gain or lose more than a pound so it's virtually a pound for pound comparison. I feel leaner and stronger. The proof will be in the pictures.

I have tape measurements, too, but I think I'll put them all into a nice chart or something after next week.

Today's nutrition--day 57 of clean eating:

2. 1 c carrots, 11oz Premier protein drink
    3. 5.5 oz broccoli, apple, 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt
    4. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Teriyaki tofu and mushrooms
    6. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    7. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:
    [​IMG]