1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Maybe the weight is muscle gain.

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope so. But I don't look any leaner so who knows. Measurements this morning showed more weight gain. Scale says bodyfat percentage ticked up too but I don't put a lot of stock in that. I'm curious if my weight will keep climbing, fluctuating, or level off. Legs and core this morning. Pretty tired from the week so going to get to bed soon. Went to dinner tonight with friends and had a good time.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Stress produces cortisol which can influence weight gain. As things settle back to normal for you, the weight should come off.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting, I hadn't considered that at all.

Back at it this morning--db flat bench, db inc bench, weighted dips, supersets of chest flyes/tri cable pulldown, overhead db tri extension, bodyweight dips. Planning on a short run sometime today and yardwork. Allergies are still raging here in Seattle and I'm looking forward to this passing.

5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So-so workout this morning but it still happened: 3 sets weighted pullups, 2 sets bodyweight; seated machine rows x 3 x 10; kneeling facepulls x 3 x 10; rear delt flyes 3 x 10; inc db curls 3 x 8; preacher curls 3 x 10; machine curls 3 x 10; bodyweight chinups x 17, x 13, x 10. Run didn't happen yesterday because yard work ate up the entire afternoon. It might happen today or I might go see a movie with a friend. Have a great week everyone!

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Made it in this morning for abs and core. It was a measurement day. Still gaining weight. Also, abdomen bigger by a small bit and the scale laims my bodyfat % is up to a level where it hasn't been for almost two months. A bit puzzling as I would think I'd be in a calorie deficit almost every day and I haven't had any binges or terrible overeating days and I've all but given up sugary foods. It's not exactly alarming but it's still weird. I think if I want to drop this final 1.5cm or so I've got to ramp the cardio way up and I'm just not feeling like I want to do that right now. So as long as I'm continuing to get stronger and my abdomen measurement doesn't go up too much more I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. if my stomach starts to get fatter than I'll have to make an adjustment I guess. It is nice in a way to gain weight after so many weeks of losing it. But I've also gained about 5 pounds in a month which feels like a lot given my diet.

I did see that movie--Us, the Jordan Peele movie. I liked it but didn't love it.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Maybe the weight gain is due to an increase in sodium. At least for me, it really affects my weight.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It remains a mystery! I'll be in a position to know more in a several weeks. Maybe it will slide back down again.

Legs this morning. I'm starting, slowly, to gain some strength there. The first several workouts made me feel very weak and I still feel very weak. But that's good, too. Lots of room for improvement.

Made a vegan puttanesca type thing tonight that was quick and really tasty. Each time we make something new we give it a grade and if it scores well enough we put it into the rotation for future meals. Our hope is that by the end of the year we have about 20 meals that we really like and can keep expanding that number as time goes on.

Sun was shining today so it was a great afternoon.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Is the puttanesca from the Thug Kitchen website you mentioned earlier? I've been meaning to try some of the recipes, but haven't gotten around to it.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not seeing on the website but it is from the book Thug Kitchen 101. I'd describe it as a sort of Puttanesca Lite rather than the Real Deal but it's good enough for government work, as the saying goes.

Unfortunately slept terribly last night and because I awoke with a headache and know that the flu is going around Seattle I stayed home from work, so no morning workout. But by the afternoon I was feeling better after getting a lot more sleep and made it to the gym in the early evening. Shoulders and tris and I left feeling completely fried. Db press 3 x 10; weighted dips x 20, 20, 11; bw dips x 15; cable tri pulldowns 3 x 12; overhead db tri extensions 3 x 10; smith machine shrugs 3 x 12; supersets of alt db front raises and db side raises x 10, 10, 7; drop sets on machine military press; bodyweight dips 3 x 15.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That sounds like a tough workout. Glad you were feeling well enough to do it.

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks.

Back/bis this morning: weighted pullups 6 x 10; seated machine row 5 x 10; kneeling face pull 3 x 10; rear delt flyes 3 x 12; inc db curl 3 x 10; preacher curls 3 x 10; standing alt db curls drop set; machine preacher curls 3 x 10; superset of low back extensions 3 x 10 and chin ups 3 x 10; pull ups bw x 10, 10. 30 minute run this evening.

Legs and core tomorrow.

Work has been blowing up like crazy, as if every weird issue picked this week to rise to the surface. I hope it calms down a little over the next few weeks. I have a multi day conference next week that I'd like to attend as much as possible of. Also Monday I'm planning on starting martial arts again so I'll see how that goes. Have a great Friday everyone.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What kind?

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's a mixed martial arts place where the main things taught are Muay Thai, Kali Panantukan, Kali Weaponry, some grappling and other stuff like Savate, Jun Fan, and Jeet Kune Do. It's been 15 years since I've been there so I'm wondering how this will go.

I woke up at 445 this morning :sleep:but as a result I was at the gym by 540 and had a long legs and core workout. I'm going to try to rally for a run tonight and then get up and do chest and tris tomorrow. My wife is out of town so I'll probably get some housework done.

The cherry blossoms are in bloom at the UW and campus was crawling with people seeing them. Quite beautiful.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Enjoy the martial arts classes; they're a great workout.

The UW campus is really nice even without the cherry blossoms blooming.

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it. And, yes! It's a beautiful campus. Especially when Mount Rainier is visible.

Today's workout: db bench press 3 x10; db inc bench press 3 x 10; db press 3 x 10; weighted bar dips x 20, 20, 15, 10; supersets of tri cable pulldowns 3 x 10 and chest flyes 3 x 10; one armed db tri extensions 3 x 10; machine bench press drop set; bodyweight bar dips x 20, 20, 15. Planning for a run soon which might be outside because it's nice out or might be on the treadmill. After that laundry, cleaning, and not sure what else awaits. Hope you're all having a good weekend.

17. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

The campus sounds pretty. Are the sightseers mostly locals or tourists? In DC, the cherry trees are so popular they start posting the estimated peak bloom in Jan or Feb so people can plan their trip to see them. Does UW do the same thing?

Have a good run. Seems like it should be good weather to be outdoors.

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know if they plan out the cherry blossom bloom as far out as Jan or Feb like in Washington DC but I know a few weeks before they're ready to bloom there's more activity and they do need to plan for it. I think the people who visit are mostly local but also a lot of people bus in, probably from British Columbia. On Friday when I was walking around there were some buses dropping people off and what looked to be actual tourist groups. Another cool local thing is the annual tulip bloom in the Skagit Valley, about an hour north of us, although I haven't been up to see that for a few years.

I opted for the treadmill and watched some of Planet Earth II and learned all about iguanas in the Galapagos Islands and their harrowing lives. Probably will do that again early this afternoon.

Today's workout back and bis: weighted pullups x 20, 18, 11, 7, 5; seated cable rows 3 x 10; kneeling face pulls 3 x 10; rear delt flyes 3 x 8; standing BB curls 3 x 8; incline db curls 3 x 10; machine preacher curls 3 x 10; hanging weighted low back extensions 3 x 10; chin ups bodyweight x 20, 14, 8; reverse BB curls 3 x 10; bodyweight pullups 3 x10; standing alt db curls drop set. whew.

Have a great week everybody!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Gotta ask....what's harrowing about the life of iguanas in the Galapagos?

Damn, that's an impressive amount of chin ups.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Is that gardens, wild tulips, or farms where they grow tulips? Last fall, I planted about 300 or more bulbs. I am hoping shortly to have my tulip / daffodil bloom in a few weeks. :)