1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

It's funny, I was never much of a city person either until I moved to a place where I lived in the only major city within a 3 hour radius. My ideal living situation would be a small city or very large town, preferably a college town, especially in a location where you can get access to the outdoors within a short drive and the wilderness within a drive not that much longer than that.

About fifteen years ago I got really into this idea and started researching different places like this with an eye towards trying to move there or retire there one day and the list has been narrowed down to about five places. But Seattle is now home and I don't have a desire to leave right away; maybe when retirement is close if we could find jobs elsewhere. I also learned that places like those I describe are often very expensive, for good reason. So, we visit.

Another morning workout; I'm having this surreal experience where it's all I want to do right away in the morning now. I'm planning to get up early tomorrow to do core, probably at the gym, but I can pull that off at home without any trouble if I feel like it. Back/bi day today. Major highlight was pullups: +70x6; +70x4; +55x6; +55x4; +35x9 + 35x5; +25x8; +10x9; bw x10. Rest of the workout was seated machine rows, 3x10; standing high cable rows 3x10; rear delt flies 3x10; incl db curls 3x10; machine preacher curls 3x10; chin ups bw x 16, 11, 9.

At work we are moving offices to another location in our building and had high drama trying to remove a flat screen TV from a wall because there was something stuck in the mounting bracket that prevented its easy removal. I ended up having to use a stubby Philips head screwdriver to take out the very long bolts that held the bracket to the wall and it was a grueling forearm workout. By the end of it my forearms looked so veiny and pumped, it was very funny. But we did finally manage to get that damn TV off the wall at least.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Functional workout for the win!

My town has many of the attributes that you mentioned. It's a college town with about 39,000 people, I have about 350 acres of woods at the top of my block about a tenth of a mile away and within about a 30 minute drive in a couple of directions I can be in thousands of acres of woods. As mentioned above, it's a foodie town with a lot of entertainment options and we have relatively easy access to NYC although I don't go in very often any more. Lastly, there's no doubt that it's an expensive place to live, but taxes aside, since we purchased our home over 26 years ago I'm a beneficiary of the rising property values.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I was going to write it would be hard to get better salmon than in Seattle, but that wouldn't apply to you. :o
    Kudo's for making it a habit. For me, it almost seems like the early morning workout was a dream, like it never happened.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I think I also excluded almost anywhere east of the Mississippi from my list because I grew up in the mid-Atlantic but now you're making me reconsider. That sounds wonderful!

Thanks! It's a work in progress. As for the salmon, my once-upon-a-time salmon eating self would agree with you. But one thing I can say about Seattle from my point of view is that it's a pretty easy place to be a vegan. Probably wouldn't have attempted this had we lived in a lot of other places.

This morning my wife joined me for the workout, which was nice. She's going to try to do two strength-training workouts a week, which I'm excited about for her. She's pretty strong for a tiny person and I hope she enjoys it. If not, she'll probably go back to yoga and cycling.

Today's workout: db press 3x8; inc db press 3x8; bar dips +45 x 15 x 3; bw x 15 x 2; overhead tri db extensions 4 x 12; cable tri pulldowns 3 x 10; drop sets on machine bench press to exhaustion. It was good to have a spotter today so I could move up to the next set of dumbbells on bench and incline which I had avoided doing for the past few weeks although I thought I might be ready to.

Planning on an easy run of short to moderate length today, stretching, leftover pasta, making cocktails and watching some movies at home tonight. Hope you're all having a great weekend.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like a nice plan for the evening.

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Cocktails and a movie sounds nice. Enjoy.

7. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

We did have a nice night, thanks! Although we ended up walking to the store to get a loaf of bread and bag of popcorn, maybe not the wisest choice but surely not the dumbest thing one can do after having a drink or two. We're not very good at making cocktails and about 3 out of every 4 weekends we are experimenting with something to find if there's something we'd ever want to make for company or that we like enough that we'd want to have more regularly. But it's all about the journey not the destination.

Got up this morning and went to the gym with my wife again, springing forward be damned. Back and biceps today. Pullups +45 x 15, 13, 9; +25 x 12, 10; +10 x 10. Seated machine rows 3 x 10; standing high cable rows 3 x 10; inc db curls 3 x10; machine preacher curls 3 x 10; chinups bw x 17, 11, 9. Planning for another run of short to medium length, stretching, then dropping off a camera for repair and seeing a movie with a friend, then making dinner tonight and getting ready for the week. Have a great week, everyone!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Holy cow, that's an impressive amount of weighted pull ups. Actually, it would be impressive even if they were done BW.

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Another morning workout: core today, I think 17 different exercises spread over 40 minutes. It went fast. Tomorrow is a leg morning.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Morning workout today: legs. BB squats 5 x 10; lunges 4 x 8; leg press 3 x 10; ham curls 3 x 10; quad extensions 3 x 10; box jumps 3 x 10; goblet squats 3 x 10. Fitbit says I've done 60 flights of stairs today so I'm pretty tired.

Our office move is tedious: some of our new offices are too small for our office furniture. Kind of a circus. It will all work out in the end. I'm not precious about the amount of space we have or size of our office but it would be nice for everything to be up and running and functioning so we can get back to spending time doing our jobs. I am hoping by Monday we will all feel sufficiently settled.

Tomorrow morning's workout is shoulders/tris, about to go prep all of tomorrow's food and then my workout bag. Have a great night.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You really are on a roll with these morning workouts. Does it feel like a habit yet?

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks! And, yes. I know this because this morning I didn't do a workout as I was worried I wouldn't be prepared for an important morning meeting if I didn't use the early morning to prepare and I was a little grumpy about not being able to do the workout. I went immediately after work instead and had an okay but not great workout and I had to fight back the part of my brain that kept telling me "I wish it was 630am."

So, back at it tomorrow at 630.

It's been a trying week at work. Those weeks have been rarer as of late so I can be grateful that I'm reminded now and then what it's like when work is exhausting and frustrating and can have a chance to practice being resilient and focused in the face of this. Next week will be better.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hope next week, as you expressed, is better at work.

Like you if I miss a scheduled workout I get grumpy. Looks like we've drank the Kool Aide. :D

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed! :tucool:

My wife accompanied me again this morning and it's fun to see her get enthusiastic about lifting. We had lifted together years ago, but I mean YEARS ago. I'm hoping her interest continues because there's a nice synergy that happens when we are able to spend time together, do a shared activity that's healthy, have some common goals, and so on. Both of us are tired at the end of the day and doing something together in the morning is nice.

Workout this morning: db bench press 2x10, 1x9; db inc bench press 3x10; bar dips +55x15, 14, 9, then bw x 18, 15. Supersets of chest flies and cable tri pull downs 3x10 each; then db tri extensions 3x10; then drop sets on a chest press machine. Planning to get a run in this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going to go into nutrition lockdown for the next 15 days and see if I can tighten things up. I haven't gotten too far off course but progress is slowing down. Abdomen measurement is about 72.5cm right now. The good news is that it's stayed steady although my weight has been fluctuating in ways that it hasn't been for months. I've been deliberately adding more calories (and also just eating more in general...which isn't always as deliberate or nutritious) and I'd be thrilled to gain weight and gain strength in lifts and have the fat part of my abdomen maintain the status quo.

Dinner tonight with friends--he is retiring and planning a month long trip out west, mainly to Utah, to see National Parks. My wife and I did a three week version of this in 2010 and structure a lot of vacations around the parks so it will be nice to get together and he can also pick our brain about our experiences.

We've got some trips planned this summer to see a few more--Isle Royale and Voyageurs NPs in June and Denali in July.

Hope you all are having great weekends.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's great that your wife is sharing your enthusiasm about moving iron.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you do the workout with your wife, or do you both do your own thing at the gym?

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks, it really is. I'm hoping her interest in it continues as it's great for a lot of reasons.

A mixture of both. She is learning a lot of the exercises right now and she's very methodical and organized in the way she learns so we do a lot of the routine together and she gets feedback and learns and we can spot each other. But as she's learned more we might only do a few of the same exercises together and then we diverge a little. She is only going twice a week so I created two different routines for her that are somewhat different from mine as my exercises are split among some different days.

Speaking of that, this morning's workout is in the books. Back and bis for me: pullups 70 x 4, 55 x 6 ,45 x12, 45 x 8, 25 x11, 25 x 9, bw x 12; machine rows 3x10; face pulls 3x10; rear delt flies 3x10; inc db curls 2x8, 1x5, 2x8; machine preacher curls 3x10; chin ups bw x 14, 10, 10.

Have some shopping and errands to run today, then hoping to get a run in this afternoon. Yesterday did 40 minutes at a faster pace than I had been going which felt good. Might aim for the same amount of time but back off of the pace quite a bit.

Hope you all have a great Sunday!

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

This morning's workout: core, about 16-17 different exercises. I found some new ones online this weekend and tried them out. Some were difficult--one was a bird dog type exercise where you balance on one arm and one foot, pointing the others out straight, but instead of kneeling on a mat or a bosu, you put your feet up high on a bench and rest one arm on the ground. Hard to explain; very tough. Tomorrow morning's workout is legs. I got a short run in tonight. Plan is to go hard for 14 days until April 1 and see if I can break through and get that last cm or 1.5cm that has been so elusive.

19. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Legs this morning. Feeling a bit frustrated but going to grind through it for the next 2 weeks. Doing legs is the worst part of my plan because I'm just so weak and it's demoralizing. Reframing it as: I have a lot of gains I can make!

Glorious day today. Mount Rainier visible against bright blue sky, 70s or close to it, feels like spring. Tomorrow's workout is shoulders and tris. I found out today I have an important meeting that's going to happen Monday morning so I have a lot of work between now and then I need to do.

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Another morning workout in the books today. Pollen count was high in Seattle today I guess because of the unexpected 3 days of summer in March. Sniffled and sneezed through the day and getting to bed early.

Today's workout: db press x 10, 10, 0, 10, 10; bar dips 45x 15, 15, 15, bwx17; tri cable pulldowns 3x 10; db overhead tri extensions 4x 10; smith machine shrugs 3x 10; supersets of db alt front raises and db side raises: 2x10; 1x6. Military machine press drop sets x 10, 10, 10, 6, 6; bar dips bw x 18, 17. Back and bis tomorrow.

Somehow I've put on weight in the last week or so which is weird. It might take longer than 2 weeks to reach the next goal so I'll just mentally prepare myself that it might be a while. Well, more specifically, fat around my abdomen.

Have a great day everyone.